Turn on thread page Beta

french and german literature, useful/important phrases? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am sitting here panicking right now because my teachers for french and german lit have taught us virtually nothing. I can write a literature essay but the problem is I really don't know any useful or impressive phrases. Can anyone here help me out? Thanks!

Oh, and is anyone here doing L'Avare, Un Sac de Billes, Der Besuch der Alten Dame, or Sansibar oder der letzte Grund? Are there any sort of revision guides I could use which deal with these books, kind of a long shot but thought I'd just try...

ReputationRep:
    I have done der Besuch der alten Dame... kinda weird book don't you think? Sorry, haven't started revising for German yet, so can't help you with any quotes! But usually there are interpretation books which are useful (e.g. Königs Erläuterungen...)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is so weird, especially with her fake limbs and whatnot... Will go onto amazon to see if I can order some books, thanks

ReputationRep:
    lol, totally! Can't wait till i never have to use that book again... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh hey but do you know how to write a good introduction and conclusion? My essay writing is awful for German

ReputationRep:
    hm, I guess back in Germany we had different kinds of essays, where I had an introductory sentence, then a short summary of the extract that's given to you, then analysing the form of the text and eventually the interpretation. I'm not sure that's what they ask for sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeniev)
    hm, I guess back in Germany we had different kinds of essays, where I had an introductory sentence, then a short summary of the extract that's given to you, then analysing the form of the text and eventually the interpretation. I'm not sure that's what they ask for sorry!
    Woo 800th post!

happyslacker, I'm not too sure either how you've structure your German essays, i.e. if you take the structure from your English essays and write in German or if you adopt the German structure which might be different from the English one.

Give some details and I'm sure that someone will be able to help. As for good phrases: Post something in English and I'll translate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammertal)
    Woo 800th post!
    Lol, didn't realise at all... :flute:
    thanks for reminding me tho

ReputationRep:
    Well, I usually use the same structure I use in my English lit essays, which is I summarise my answer to the question, and then in the following paragraphs I develop my argument. I think it's ok to do this for my A2 exam, hopefully?
    How would you say things like:

This scene has great impact upon the reader
    The imagery is associated/linked with...

Erm... what phrases do you guys normally use in your essays, or which do you find particularly useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyslacker)
    Well, I usually use the same structure I use in my English lit essays, which is I summarise my answer to the question, and then in the following paragraphs I develop my argument. I think it's ok to do this for my A2 exam, hopefully?
    How would you say things like:

This scene has great impact upon the reader
    The imagery is associated/linked with...

Erm... what phrases do you guys normally use in your essays, or which do you find particularly useful?
    Think so, but I'm not familiar with A-levels at all.

This scene has great impact upon the reader: Diese Szene/ Stelle macht großen Eindruck auf den Leser

The imagery is associated/linked with...: Die(se) Bilder/ Metaphorik wird mit ... assoziiert/ verbunden.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh thanks so much!! That's really helpful Sorry to be annoying, but what would you say are good useful phrases to know for use in the lit essays? The thing is, I think I'd be able to write a good essay, the problem is my lack of vocab/phrases

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 8, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.