How many pages for a CV? Watch

Octavius85
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi,

Well, the title says it all. Basically, there is a big debate on how long a CV should be. Some say everything should stand in a single page. Others say 2 is best.. . not even mentionning employer's preferences may change from 1 country to another...

So I would like to have your opinions.

I should also specify that we are talking about a CV for young graduates seeking for first jobs/internships (not a researcher's/academia CV) in IB's

Thanks.
Jan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(I doubt you can fit it onto 1 page.)

edit: obviously it's possible to omitt more than I would have thought.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Perfectly possible to pack a CV into one page if you're concise, don't list every single grade etc. For a UK grad I'd recommend putting profile (a couple of lines about you), education (just single lines for A-Levels and GCSEs) and relevant work experience on the first page (languages, IT skills etc if relevant), and other experience, interests, referees etc on the second.
Dimez
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No more than two pages.
amywalters
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Definately no more than 2 pages But try not to babble on - just imagine that you want them to understand the basics about you, but enough for them to question about you in your interview. Its like marking an exam, dont want to read the same story over and over again, because you wont be different from the rest!
Octavius85
Rep:
?
(Original post by Honza)
I doubt you can fit it onto 1 page.
I used to have a CV in 2 pages. After several "attempts" I managed to fit everything in 1 page. And now I like it and would keep it this way. From what I know, the US and France like CV's in 1 single page. However, I know it's not quite like that in the UK and I may change it because it's more important to adapt to the employer...
kahler_potential
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The CV is an advertisement for yourself. It has about 4 seconds to make a good first impression. That means not enough time for anyone to bother to read a second page. Every HR person I've spoken to (which admittedly isn't *every* HR person working in the city) has said keep it to one page.
Octavius85
Rep:
?
(Original post by Olek)
The CV is an advertisement for yourself. It has about 4 seconds to make a good first impression. That means not enough time for anyone to bother to read a second page. Every HR person I've spoken to (which admittedly isn't *every* HR person working in the city) has said keep it to one page.
You are right, thanks olek
Drogue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chassez)
Perfectly possible to pack a CV into one page if you're concise, don't list every single grade etc. For a UK grad I'd recommend putting profile (a couple of lines about you), education (just single lines for A-Levels and GCSEs) and relevant work experience on the first page (languages, IT skills etc if relevant), and other experience, interests, referees etc on the second.
:yy:

You should have everything necessary to impress someone on the first page, and if there's more, put it on the second page - some people read it, some don't. Two pages is fine, but there should be nothing absolutely key on the second page.
sumitk87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
u gotta impress them in the application form aswel.

dont go into detail on your cv to much since the app normally asks many question for that.
President_Ben
Badges: 13
Report 12 years ago
One page please. The vast majority of City CVs are one page when they could easily be so English* and span several.

*Anglo CVs tend to babble on and on. American ones take bullet point very seriously. European ones are clinical (and some of the least exciting reads ever).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads