The Student Room Group

What am I supposed to do?

I've posted a few threads over the past weeks explaining my situation which is now desperate. Me and a friend have been looking for a flat for second year for a while now. We have £5000 to work with but this doesn't seem to be good enough.

Freshers week starts on Saturday... my friend has a flight booked for Saturday, which he has had booked for months and is coming back to no flat. Everytime a flat is advertised online, I ring the person, offer them six months rent upfront and a deposit yet they seem to ignore this and offer me a viewing. I tell them OK I will view the flat, but by the time I am ready to go up and view the flat I am told it is has been let to someone else.

Flats are coming up and going within hours... one came up this morning, I tried phoning the person but it went to voice mail where I was told to leave my number because the landlady can't take calls during working hours, so I leave the number and receive a text earlier tonight saying the flat has gone... wtf?

I live 2 hours away from uni so it is hard for me to view flats. I did manage to view a flat on Saturday... everything seemed to go well I offered the 6 months upfront and the landlady seemed to like me... she was asking if we'd like desks in our rooms and everything. I spent £40 on buses to get there, £40 I can't afford to waste. I receive a call the next day saying she has decided to let it out to an elderly couple. I feel as though she was going to do this all along... she could have saved me £40 and told me she wasn't keen on letting to students instead of letting me view it.

Then there's agencies. I phoned about a flat and was told they were taking applications so I said OK completed an application and arranged a viewing for this week. Then I receive a call today telling me the flat has gone? how can it have if they were taking applications...

It seems as though everything is against me... I don't know what else I can do. Flats come up and go within hours, I'm beyond stressed.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Get someone you trust with a list of wants and put offs to view taking pics and messaging as they view or video phone it, may be a feesable option x if you cant make it to viewings or arrange a block of bookings over two days and crqah at a mates or book a room at travellodge will be a paon to organise but much less of a pain than no flat x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Some woman I phoned yesterday said she received over 200 emails and 50 phone calls the day she put her flat up, loads with similar offers to mine (6 months up front)... is there any point lol
Reply 3
Do yu have other options such as sharing a house with students already in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by anna price
Do yu have other options such as sharing a house with students already in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No and just got a text telling me the flat I was supposed to be viewing tomorrow morning has gone... it was advertised at like 9 last night...
What location?
Reply 6
Could you go there and use the library so you can view them immediately? Or turn up at a lettings agency and see what they could offer you?
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
What location?

Aberdeen

Original post by Soph.Jade
Could you go there and use the library so you can view them immediately? Or turn up at a lettings agency and see what they could offer you?

How do you mean the Library? Me and my father are going up tomorrow, hopefully some will come up today and we can get viewings... I think we will look on the internet all the day and try view them as soon as they come up, if they do.
Honestly, I've never known so many threads started for one tenancy! I just counted - six!!
Reply 9
Original post by theonelink
How do you mean the Library?

Like the uni library or local library (you may as well sign up at some point) so you can use them to find places and they won't have been occupied as you can go straight from the library to view them.
Original post by theonelink
I've posted a few threads over the past weeks explaining my situation which is now desperate. Me and a friend have been looking for a flat for second year for a while now. We have £5000 to work with but this doesn't seem to be good enough.

Freshers week starts on Saturday... my friend has a flight booked for Saturday, which he has had booked for months and is coming back to no flat. Everytime a flat is advertised online, I ring the person, offer them six months rent upfront and a deposit yet they seem to ignore this and offer me a viewing. I tell them OK I will view the flat, but by the time I am ready to go up and view the flat I am told it is has been let to someone else.

Flats are coming up and going within hours... one came up this morning, I tried phoning the person but it went to voice mail where I was told to leave my number because the landlady can't take calls during working hours, so I leave the number and receive a text earlier tonight saying the flat has gone... wtf?

I live 2 hours away from uni so it is hard for me to view flats. I did manage to view a flat on Saturday... everything seemed to go well I offered the 6 months upfront and the landlady seemed to like me... she was asking if we'd like desks in our rooms and everything. I spent £40 on buses to get there, £40 I can't afford to waste. I receive a call the next day saying she has decided to let it out to an elderly couple. I feel as though she was going to do this all along... she could have saved me £40 and told me she wasn't keen on letting to students instead of letting me view it.

Then there's agencies. I phoned about a flat and was told they were taking applications so I said OK completed an application and arranged a viewing for this week. Then I receive a call today telling me the flat has gone? how can it have if they were taking applications...

It seems as though everything is against me... I don't know what else I can do. Flats come up and go within hours, I'm beyond stressed.

Hey there!
I'm Katrina. Have you heard of Nido Student Living? There are 3 buildings but King's Cross is fully booked so Spitalfields (Liverpool Street) and Notting Hill have a few rooms available. If you don't mind travelling at least 30mins to Aberdeen then you should check their rooms out. I'm a student like you and I find Nido a good place to stay. Very comfortable and convenient! They have lounge areas, art room, and gym facilities which is cool! If you're interested check www.nidostudentliving.com or call +44 (0)20 3102 1060 :smile:

Goodluck! Hope this helps!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Nido
Hey there!
I'm Katrina. Have you heard of Nido Student Living? There are 3 buildings but King's Cross is fully booked so Spitalfields (Liverpool Street) and Notting Hill have a few rooms available. If you don't mind travelling at least 30mins to Aberdeen then you should check their rooms out. I'm a student like you and I find Nido a good place to stay. Very comfortable and convenient! They have lounge areas, art room, and gym facilities which is cool! If you're interested check www.nidostudentliving.com or call +44 (0)20 3102 1060 :smile:

Goodluck! Hope this helps!

Hi

i have been offered a room at Nido kings cross - M.07. I was wondering if you could tell me which floor it is on and which tower is it in? North tower or South?

Thanks
x

Quick Reply

Latest