?
Report 12 years ago
No worse than Britain as a whole :mad:
joeybee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Okay, i have lived up in Manchester my whole life. It does seem to be dull and rain a lot in Manchester, whenever i come back here it always seems to be raining.
But then it's less miserable than Stoke, that seems to be the dullest, greyest place i have ever been to. Manchester is okay, when it is sunny, Which can be quite a lot in summer, it is lovely. But the weather is not too nice, and obviously a few degrees collere than the south of the country.
discombobulation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I has rained every time I have visited Manchester...although it's always raining here to, so it could just be a north west thing
~*tweety*~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bethy)
I has rained every time I have visited Manchester...although it's always raining here to, so it could just be a north west thing
ive had the opposite experience, both time was really nice! once was in summer so i guess it wud be nice, other was in feb!! :p:
blackcurrant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not overly different to the rest of England. Sometimes it's colder or wetter than down south but nothing drastic
the_mars_volta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Since living in Manchester I have noticed the weather is a lot worse than it was when I used to live in Shrewsbury. In fact, most of the time I think it is awful. But I can only speak for the winter months. Now that Spring is here, it really is lovely.
drawmeamonkey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
summer in manchester can be amazing.
unfortunately, students aren't here then

i don't think manchester is any worse than liverpool, leeds, sheffield-any other northern city really.

im pretty sure newcastles a lot colder than manc, i notice it when i get off the train there! and hull too, now theres a miserable place :p:
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why is this in the Manchester section? Surely this is relevant to all Manc universities? - Thread Moved.

Black actually Manchester gets a lot less rainfall than a lot of places in the far South West. Because Manchester is well sheltered and is a big city in the summer it can often be one of the hottest places in the country, it is not that unusual for it to hit 30c.
drawmeamonkey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yep, Plymouth has more rain than Manchester, as does Torquay. Even nearby Leeds has more rain and less sun than Manchester!

Internationally, apparently Hong Kong, Kingston (Jamaica), Perth (Australia) and Madrid have more rain than Manchester.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
New York also has exactly twice the rainfall as Manchester

I think the problem with Manchester is it does get frequent rainfall so it can seem like it is always raining but you hardly ever get soaked.

Also at this time of year most the country will get rainfall, in July/August we can go for a good month without a drop of rain.

The South West does get more sun shine though, well it gets more of everything.
Ana
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not nearly as rainy as where I live. Manchester is unbelievably sunny compared to Cumbria, I love it
drawmeamonkey
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Princess Ana)
Not nearly as rainy as where I live. Manchester is unbelievably sunny compared to Cumbria, I love it
thats coz u got loverly mountains! relief rainfall and all that jazz!
(manchester does suffer slightly from relief rain, being at the foot of the pennines and the wind coming from the SW)

god, i loved geography
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Them Pennines shelter us from wind though so we can't have it both ways

I have noticed it rains less in Chorlton than it does in Manchester just 4 miles away. Stockport is also a lot more rainy too.
ZigZag
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The reason why Manchester seems wet a lot of the time is because although the rainfall is no more than places like Madrid, Rome, New York etc, it takes longer to fall because of the damp atmosphere (hence the reason why the cotton industry took off there during the industrial revolution).

So, rainfall isn't anything huge, but hours of raining probably are a bit more than other places in the UK. I live in Plymouth when not in Manchester, and it certainly seems drier there despite it actually receiving more rainfall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.91%
Leave (435)
21.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed