Turn on thread page Beta

Italian elections: Two days' time. watch

• View Poll Results: Who would you vote for?
    Berlusconi
    29.63%
    Prodi
    55.56%
    Whoa, like, a poll.
    14.81%

ReputationRep:
    Who would you vote for?

ReputationRep:
    Prodi

ReputationRep:
    Berlusconi, what a card

ReputationRep:
    If I were Italian? That would be difficult.

I'd probably vote for Berlusconi because he's probably the funniest politican ever. Some of the things he says show an incredible sense of humour.

Berlusconi seems to rejoice in flouting convention. His public reference to his wife Veronica's reputed tendresse for a Marxist philosopher called Massimo Cacciari was a breathtaking example. (He said at a press conference with the Danish prime minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, "Rasmussen is the most handsome prime minister in Europe. I think I will introduce him to my wife because he is even more handsome than Cacciari.")
    He's also provided a lot of political support to Britain within the EU and on the international scene. For purely British interests, Berlusconi is a lot better.

Flaws: Prodi is a lot less pragmatic but Berlusconi is maybe a bit too much of a nationalist.

ReputationRep:
    I actually have a vote, because the Italian government thinks I'm an Italian citizen. But the fact that I don't live at home permanently anymore and have been on holiday for 2 weeks means that I haven't bothered with an absentee ballot. That and the fact that it'd be kinda unfair for me to vote seeing as I'm not affected by the result. But I'd back Berlusconi.

ReputationRep:
    Aaaah… How could that happen?!:eek: I didn’t want to vote for Berlusconi…So, one more vote for Prodi, one less for Berlusca.

I’m Italian and I’m going to vote for Prodi on Sunday.
    Yes, I’m a “coglione”, as my dear prime minister called half of the population (those who won’t vote for him)… ******** or idiot or however you want to translate it. It’s an insult, something I don’t want to be called by anybody and even less by the prime minister of my country.

And yes, you can call this “funny”, but believe me, it’s not that funny at all. It’s not the first time that signor Berlusconi makes stupid, arrogant, racist, insulting comments. Comments which he, yes, might have said trying to be funny or ironic or whatever, but which still offended some people.

You know, it’s quite sad to have a prime minister who makes a fool of himself and his country.

But whatever, his jokes (?) are not the main reason that I would never vote for his party/his coalition partners.
    I would never vote for a racist (and if he isn’t one then there are many among his “friends”).
    I do not want somebody who has so much influence over the media to be my prime minister I live in a democracy and I want to continue to live in a democracy…).
    I know that politicians often promise impossible things, but what Berlusconi promises, what he tells us about his “successful” last 5-years, how he changes numbers and statistics is just over the top.

I could continue, but I don’t feel like.

I’m not a fan of Prodi, I wouldn’t want him to be the next prime minister if there was a better alternative. His coalition is weak, it’s a mix of parties from the extreme left to the centre. It will be very difficult for him to “survive”. And he is not a very strong figure either.
    But Italy needs a change. Over the last 5 years, our economy suffered (and yes, maybe that wouldn’t have been different with another government), but our reputation also suffered, the reputation of our government, our politicians particularily (I know, many of our politicians never deserved a good reputation, but some do).
    I don’t want Berlusconi to be the “leader” of my country anymore. I don’t want “the funniest politician ever” to be my prime minister.
    Punto e basta.

johanna (coglione)

P.S.: I’m a bit emotional about this topic at the moment… but I’ve really enough of Berlusconiand the methods of his election campaign.

ReputationRep:
    I'd vote for Rifondazione.

ReputationRep:
    I'd vote for Berlusconi. From a British point of view, he's an ally in Europe and has been a friend of our country and our aims throughout the world. Prodi would be on the opposite side in the EU, plus he advocates social policies of a nature that I dislike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Person)
    Ah, the Commies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Person)
    What about communism is democratic and anti-fascist remains a mystery.

"Rifondazione Comunista opened its national congress. Some observers were struck by the opening of the conference: a video showing images of a Palestinian child being protected in vain by his father from shooting (stills from the video have also been placed on a whole series of international far-right websites inferring that the child has been shot by Israeli soldiers) was screened together with a scene from the film Roma citt aperta (Rome, an Open City).

The scene from the film shows a Nazi soldier shooting the actress Anna Magnani with a machine gun."

ReputationRep:
    The Times about summed the election up yesterday when it stated that is Prodi wins it will be more due to "default rather than acclamation".

ReputationRep:
    I'd vote outside the seemingly never ending leftwing-rightwing ping pong match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hic_et_ubique)
    Prodi worked as an economist in the EU and one of the main reasons for his popularity is that people believe he'll bring economic reforms to Italy.
    Regardless of his intentions, it will be physically impossible for him to pass any significant reforms while in a coalition with communists and "ex" communists.

ReputationRep:
    Berlusconi is thoroughly entertaining, but probably Prodi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    I'd vote for Berlusconi. From a British point of view, he's an ally in Europe and has been a friend of our country and our aims throughout the world. Prodi would be on the opposite side in the EU, plus he advocates social policies of a nature that I dislike.
    Same reasons why I said I would vote for Berlusconi. Such a tragedy Prodi was a lot more pro-Paris-Berlin-axis. Berlusconi stood up to that rubbish. I wish I could find the article where I read this but at an emergency meeting of the European Council (European summit) after the Iraq invasion, Chirac (what a ****) claimed that it was clear that he and Schroeder represented the position of Europe. Berlusconi stood up and basically said "who are you to claim what the European position is". Brilliant stuff. Not because he sent troops to Iraq (whether that was a good idea is questionnable) but because he stood up to the European consensus that the French always get their way. He was a breath of fresh air in European politics.

Plus he was hilarious.

Oh well, looks like it's boring old Prodi... who from what I saw in the EU, is rather anti-British.

ReputationRep:
    Prodi worked as an economist in the EU and one of the main reasons for his popularity is that people believe he'll bring economic reforms to Italy.
    I think you missed an important event...
    He worked as president of the EU commission and was quite against the British standpoint in EU politics.

The UK lost Aznar as a strong ally, now it's Berlusconi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I think you missed an important event...
    He worked as president of the EU commission and was quite against the British standpoint in EU politics.

The UK lost Aznar as a strong ally, now it's Berlusconi.
    Prodi's victory is still far from certain. The election might have to be called again as it looks like Berlusconi might win the upper house. On the bright side, the UK has allies in just about all of the new 10 members, and likely in Romania and Bulgaria as well.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4897994.stm

It seems Prodi has one, but that there will be legal disputes with Berlusconi's party.

The worst situation is Prodi winning, but then the Senate being divided. In such circumstances almost nothing will happen, as not only will Prodi have to deal with his fissiparous coalition but also a hostile opposition in the Upper Chamber.

ReputationRep:
    Prodi is a very pro-EU integration - when he was EU Commissioner he was calling for greater political integration. Also, as Bismarck pointed out he is constrained by the Communists and other left wingers in his coalition from carrying out the major reforms that the Italian economy needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Prodi's victory is still far from certain. The election might have to be called again as it looks like Berlusconi might win the upper house. On the bright side, the UK has allies in just about all of the new 10 members, and likely in Romania and Bulgaria as well.
    It's quite probable that the EU will fall apart sooner or later. You have the UK, Scandanavia and Eastern Europe that opposes any further political integration and supports economic reforms (well, I'm not sure about the Scandanavians here). On the other hand Old Europe did want to push for further integration, although with the failure of the EU Constitution I wonder whether that has changed. Regardless, in Old Europe the political establishment is overwhelmingly in favour of the EU becoming more like a group of Federal States, whereas in 'New' Europe the political establishment is much more lukewarm about the EU, and I wouldn't be surprised if eventually this de facto split manifested itself in two different organisations.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.