Turn on thread page Beta

Why do brown people (apart from Depul) only like R'n'B and hip-hop? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    thats rubbish.
    ]

*tammy de black one*

erm if thats soo much rubbish explain the slave trade or the sixties or the fact that the ku klux klan even exists... or the fact that hitler found it sooo terrible that other minorties were so insignificant to even remain on the planet. so dont give me no crap about the WHITE people didnt categorise minorties first.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is self-destructive, lets stop it. A generalisation, while it is entirely likely that it may be true from the point of view of the individual, is going to cause offence, especially to those who feel included in the generalisation but object to what its saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    This thread is self-destructive, lets stop it. A generalisation, while it is entirely likely that it may be true from the point of view of the individual, is going to cause offence, especially to those who feel included in the generalisation but object to what its saying.
    This anureet now got own name.

If this thread is self destructive, why was it even created??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    ]

*tammy de black one*

erm if thats soo much rubbish explain the slave trade or the sixties or the fact that the ku klux klan even exists... or the fact that hitler found it sooo terrible that other minorties were so insignificant to even remain on the planet. so dont give me no crap about the WHITE people didnt categorise minorties first.
    who is it that brings it up now tho??...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    ]

*tammy de black one*

And of course people who are not white have never ever been racist. Yep i'm not denying that the slave trade exists BUT you arent telling me that whilst the slave owner was referring to his slaves as "black" that they werent referring to him as "white". I'm sure they were no more bothered about his ethnic origin as he was about theirs.
    The categorisation has always existed, the its not ok for you to do it but ok for us to do it because you started it is the most pathetic argument I've ever heard. It is no less racist to refer to someone as white than to refer to someone as black or brown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    And another point...What would you say the difference is between "Black" and "Blick"?
    Surely "blick" is just the South African way of saying "black"?

ReputationRep:
    And of course people who are not white have never ever been racist. Yep i'm not denying that the slave trade exists BUT you arent telling me that whilst the slave owner was referring to his slaves as "black" that they werent referring to him as "white". I'm sure they were no more bothered about his ethnic origin as he was about theirs.
    The categorisation has always existed, the its not ok for you to do it but ok for us to do it because you started it is the most pathetic argument I've ever heard. It is no less racist to refer to someone as white than to refer to someone as black or brown.
    using the terms black or white is just stating the obvious really, why do people do it, we have all got share this earth weather we like it or not

ReputationRep:
    have u eva had racial comments made against you? if not dont talk about what you dont know about or experienced

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Girl)
    have u eva had racial comments made against you? if not dont talk about what you dont know about or experienced
    ive been picked on for being ginger, but like i always say u dont ask to be what u are (unless u have a good plastic sugeon) hairism is the same as racism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Girl)
    Yes!
    I have actually a few times I live near quite an asian dominated area and I've been called a stupid white ***** and been chased down the street by a gang of lads, I've also lived in Wales and got some drunk people (who couldnt even speak proper welsh incidentally which I found quite amusing) having a go at me for being English.

The point is that whilst these words are used very occasionally by the minority to cause offense, mainly they are just used to categorise people in a non offensive way. Since there are no rules set down by law which say for instance that afro carribean people are black, asians are brown and europeans are white people just use whatever they think is appropriate it isnt intended to be offensive. So just get over it - I dont see how being called brown is any more offensive than me being called white, my family isnt completely european in origin but you dont hear me complaining that I am being racially discriminated against. I think that some people see racism where non is intended and this does nothing to help race relations in my opinon. I have friends from many different origins and I dont see their skin colour as a factor in our friendship its incidental and I hope they feel the same way about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    In general every single brown person only likes R'n'B and hip-hop, or 'urban' music. Why is this? Do they just feel obliged to?
    This is the biggrest load of ******** I have ever read.

Firstly I think you use of "brown" is highly innappropriate. If you wish to refer to people, than Im sure you will not be put out by sayin Asian, or Carrebian, or whatever, people.

Secondly, I have several Asian friends who like punk/metal/ska music. I also know four people from Jamaica who like indie music.

ReputationRep:
    'Brown' just seems like quite a ******** term to be fair, people who tan easily tend to turn brown during the summer but other than that I don't know any 'brown' people. I do like hip-hop though (plus I tan in the summer).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)

Firstly I think you use of "brown" is highly innappropriate. If you wish to refer to people, than Im sure you will not be put out by sayin Asian, or Carrebian, or whatever, people.

Secondly, I have several Asian friends who like punk/metal/ska music. I also know four people from Jamaica who like indie music.
    heh I agree.. shockingly uninformed generalisation!

I'm Asian and and thankfully my parents were pretty "hip" back in the day.. as a result i was born and brought up with the Beatles, the Stones, Cream etc etc.. RnB and Hip-hop is absolutely awful "music".

Rock n Roll baby!

ReputationRep:
    Im "Brown" (indian.. but im not offended. If you are then you're to sensitive)and I like RnB and hiphop and "urban" music, I also like a bit of rock as long as it isn't too heavy. I think you have to approach it by going way back into the past and looking blues and going from there. Its natural to funk and disco and then to hiphop. Black people just don't listen to as much "white" music especially in America. In the UK its different isn't as big. In America there's a massive divide, especially because there are black music stations and white music stations. That's why music like drum and bass doesn't much radio time at all in the US because it isn't really black or white, well that's Goldie's excuse.

Indians don't listen to much rock because bhangra is mixed with urban music and so indians are more into black music. My dad listened to punk when he was younger but I was definetly brought up on bhangra and my cousins bhangra/hiphop mixes.

Theres definetely people who are "brown" and listen to other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone is being a bit harsh to Benji, as wat he sed is somewat true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyst)

Asian would be even more general! Let's see, what could I say? "Asian people, apart from those from the Far East, or the Middle East." Yes, that's better. Am I just TOO multi-cultural? If anyone finds the term 'brown' vague, or offensive, I'm sorry. I'm sure most people know what I mean.

By the way, if anyone's wondering, 'Depul' is one of my Indian friends who just happens to like rock music. After extensive research he was the only 'brown' person, to use my own phrase, who I found not to prefer R'n'B or hip-hop music. I therefore thought that he deserved a place in the title of this thread. My research was possibly limited.

ReputationRep:
    Benji=Zapsta btw

ReputationRep:
    Yep i'm not denying that the slave trade exists BUT you arent telling me that whilst the slave owner was referring to his slaves as "black" that they werent referring to him as "white". I'm sure they were no more bothered about his ethnic origin as he was about theirs.
    Then why were only black people enslaved?
    And please don't tell me about the white slave trade, I know it exists but it's miniscule in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Then why were only black people enslaved?
    And please don't tell me about the white slave trade, I know it exists but it's miniscule in comparison.

White people had all the power, and they could do what they wanted basically.
    I'm not saying black people necessarily would have dont the same, but can you say with any more certainty that they wouldn't?

I would argue that to say white people are more likely to be racist is itself racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    White people had all the power, and they could do what they wanted basically.
    I'm not saying black people necessarily would have dont the same, but can you say with any more certainty that they wouldn't?

I would argue that to say white people are more likely to be racist is itself racist.
    No, I didn't say or mean anything about racism!
    All I was saying was, of course the slave owners cared about the colour of their slaves, and vice versa.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.