Turn on thread page Beta

Why do brown people (apart from Depul) only like R'n'B and hip-hop? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Then why were only black people enslaved?
    And please don't tell me about the white slave trade, I know it exists but it's miniscule in comparison.
    Oh stop going on about whites enslaving blacks. Christ, that finished nearly 200 years ago.

Get more upto date. Take a look at Africa where blacks are busy enslaving blacks TODAY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Oh stop going on about whites enslaving blacks. Christ, that finished nearly 200 years ago.

Get more upto date. Take a look at Africa where blacks are busy enslaving blacks TODAY.
    If you don't like what I'm talking about, don't read the thread.
    And as childish as this may sound, I wasn't actually the one who brought it up - it was viviki, and then I was just disputing something she said that I thought was wrong.

ReputationRep:
    What did I say earlier-listen to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    What did I say earlier-listen to me!
    Once again - if you don't like the thread, don't read it!
    Let us carry on if we want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    White people had all the power, and they could do what they wanted basically.
    I'm not saying black people necessarily would have dont the same, but can you say with any more certainty that they wouldn't?

I would argue that to say white people are more likely to be racist is itself racist.
    I think the simple fact is that whites mastered the high seas and gunpowder before blacks and used that power to their advantage.

I can't think of a single reason why black Africans would not have sailed to England and enslaved white people had they been able to build big ships and guns before the English.

To suggest otherwise is really saying that whites are inherently evil while blacks are inherently good......which of course is complete crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    In general every single brown person only likes R'n'B and hip-hop, or 'urban' music. Why is this? Do they just feel obliged to?
    LMAO!!!

Brown people!!!

Sorry to inform you but I'm black not brown, Ino your tryin to be PC, but I find that quite funny and sorta rude...so change it please!

ReputationRep:
    lol, i doubt zapsta meant anything racist in any way or form, but its tru that at least 90% of asians in our school of a predominantly indian and sri-lankan origin are into r&b and hip hop.

is this generally a trend in other areas, or is our school a one-off?
    (i think this is what zapsta meant to to say in a polite way )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moo100times)
    lol, i doubt zapsta meant anything racist in any way or form, but its tru that at least 90% of asians in our school of a predominantly indian and sri-lankan origin are into r&b and hip hop.

is this generally a trend in other areas, or is our school a one-off?
    (i think this is what zapsta meant to to say in a polite way )
    Indeed, do i know u?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    LMAO!!!

Brown people!!!

Sorry to inform you but I'm black not brown, Ino your tryin to be PC, but I find that quite funny and sorta rude...so change it please!
    What's even funnier is I meant brown people (Indian, Sri Lankan, Pakistani, etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    Indeed, do i know u?
    im ur friend with the same name twice mikey!

ReputationRep:
    In general every single brown person only likes R'n'B and hip-hop, or 'urban' music. Why is this? Do they just feel obliged to?
    'urban' music tends to be mostly talking about the 'opression' these people have endured, and in a way it offers them an escape. They see 'white' people as the 'opressors' and listening to their music akin to sumbitting to them. This sort of sub culture has been created and gangs etc... are created and there is no escape, the only escape seems to be the music. If you ever listen to Tupac, he always tends to rap about black opression in america.

ReputationRep:
    What's even funnier is I meant brown people (Indian, Sri Lankan, Pakistani, etc).
    lol! Sorry to interrupt then...as you were!

ReputationRep:
    I think white music is not cool enough for the majority of Asians and blacks image wise. They tend to opt for urban music!

ReputationRep:
    I think the real issue here is that RnB and hip hop sucks. This is a fact.

The real leaning for hip hop and RnB is stupid/poor people, i can understand why you thought it was a black thing.

ReputationRep:
    oh well no ones taken the bait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ænima)
    I think the real issue here is that RnB and hip hop sucks. This is a fact.

The real leaning for hip hop and RnB is stupid/poor people, i can understand why you thought it was a black thing.
    excuse me...i dnt consider myself poor or stupid but i like hip/hop, r'n'b,urban music...
    wats ya prob?

ReputationRep:
    Well I am Asian (British Asian - originally from India) and I can't say I'm really into the Urban scene. Except for maybe Raghav and Bollywood music....

Otherwise, I like my Alternative Rock music and my Savage Garden, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Elliott Smith, Coldplay... that sort of music. A lot of it is to do with the people you associate with and the music you are exposed to. Most Asian people I know have never heard of Smashing Pumpkins etc because they grow up and associate with people in areas where urban music is bigger....

That's my theory anyway...may be a bit simplistic, but that's what I see from experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
    Well I am Asian (British Asian - originally from India) and I can't say I'm really into the Urban scene. Except for maybe Raghav and Bollywood music....

Otherwise, I like my Alternative Rock music and my Savage Garden, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Elliott Smith, Coldplay... that sort of music. A lot of it is to do with the people you associate with and the music you are exposed to. Most Asian people I know have never heard of Smashing Pumpkins etc because they grow up and associate with people in areas where urban music is bigger....

That's my theory anyway...may be a bit simplistic, but that's what I see from experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    That's an amazing generalisation there, but on the whole, it is unusual to find a black person into say, heavy metal - this is of course is only based on the black people i've met. Perhaps this is because there aren't black people in rock bands... I mean there's only really Lenny Kravitz and Jimmy Hendrix.
    you forgot brown Sound in Sum 41 :cool:

but yeah i'd guess that is the main reason, you very rarely get any black people at Punk or Rock gigs i've noticed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)

I salute you. Not only do you have above average taste in music, you provide an answer that makes sense!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.