Turn on thread page Beta

Why do brown people (apart from Depul) only like R'n'B and hip-hop? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think you've got to realise Benji (aka Zapsta) is a habs goer, which means he uses terms like brown people all the time (btw he was referring to Indians. Depul is a random Indian in our year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innitman_uk)
    I think you've got to realise Benji (aka Zapsta) is a habs goer, which means he uses terms like brown people all the time (btw he was referring to Indians. Depul is a random Indian in our year).
    Yes, Habs is a racist society. Sometimes I forget myself when I'm in the outside world. And by brown people I actually meant not only Indians but also Sri Lankans, Pakistanis, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    In general every single brown person only likes R'n'B and hip-hop, or 'urban' music. Why is this? Do they just feel obliged to?
    It's true. White ppl like all kinds of different music, rap, rock, metal, punk, jazz, clasical etc etc. But 'brown' people do stick with rap+R&B.

Similarly, lower-classed people tend to prefer rap+R&B. Not saying that every single 'brown person' is lower-classed, simply saying that all groups like different things.

I personaly think we should create the worlds greatest, loudest and biggest speaker/giant blimp and play muse+radiohead to the whole world! Will keep you all updated on that plan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcr8iv)
    It's true. White ppl like all kinds of different music, rap, rock, metal, punk, jazz, clasical etc etc. But 'brown' people do stick with rap+R&B.

Similarly, lower-classed people tend to prefer rap+R&B. Not saying that every single 'brown person' is lower-classed, simply saying that all groups like different things.

I personaly think we should create the worlds greatest, loudest and biggest speaker/giant blimp and play muse+radiohead to the whole world! Will keep you all updated on that plan!
    "Lower-class people" Exactly who is lower-class? I heard it many times(in the history books) to know what it is, but who to you is the lower class. Brown people I say your getting at, even though you placed,"not saying every single 'brown person' is lower-class". You probably feel that way.

I know a few fellows of mine(would be considered lower-class, but who really uses that term...who really is lower-class.) that don't listen to R&B or RAP. They just don't like it. These fellows of mine are also living in the urban area of town. So that has no effect. They rather listen to rock.

Oh....yeah.....not every white person has a wider variety of music than any other colored person may have. Thats just total racism. :mad: There are other people listening to different varieties whom are not white, and whites whom hate rock, punk, metal, ect. ect.

ReputationRep:
    In general every single brown person only likes R'n'B and hip-hop, or 'urban' music. Why is this? Do they just feel obliged to?
    I want to know as well.... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    wat bullocks!! then maybe we could say in 'general' all white people like indie music or rock!!! see thats not true is it! im 'brown' and yeh i like hip hop and RnB so what of it?? is there any point in asking this question? also i like indie,rock, soul, alternative,pop... see not all brown people just like RnB and hip hop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rupz)
    wat bullocks!! then maybe we could say in 'general' all white people like indie music or rock!!! see thats not true is it! im 'brown' and yeh i like hip hop and RnB so what of it?? is there any point in asking this question? also i like indie,rock, soul, alternative,pop... see not all brown people just like RnB and hip hop
    Its just the general rule I guess. R'n'B night clubs tend to have a lot more black people in them than say indie clubs which tend to be 95% white. I do know a lot of white people that like rnb though, and I also know a blackman who is a bad Joy Divsion fanatic, though he is a bouncer at an indie club.

ReputationRep:

lol Oh my god. How absurd. You don't get out much do you? I don't care for RnB. I listen to all kinds of music, and I'm certainly not just saying that for your sake. Plenty of black--pardon, "brown people" listen to whatever's popular on the radio. Jada Pinket Smith is starting to do rock now and I don't think Hootie from Hootie and the Blowfish can be classified as a RnB or Hip Hop musician. Search the web for more black people that do different kinds of music. You shouldn't choose to stay ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    Last time i checked i was "brown" but my music isn't a reflection of my colour, it's a reflection of my personality and my personal taste. I agree culture may have something to do with it, but i like some pop, jazz and classical among other genres as well as hip hip or R'n'B. I guess you've never heard of labelling theories or stereotypes?

ReputationRep:

Damn, I hope you didn't mean what you just said about 'lower class' people. I find it hard in this day and age for people to still refer to others as lower class. I believe there is no such thing as class, and using the term 'lower class' seems quite derogatory.

You come across as quite ignorant but honest in your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    i'm "brown" & i dont listn to R & B or hip hop, i like rock, pop & classical. its really silly to say all brown people like a certain kind of music-thats extreme generalizing.

ReputationRep:
    I only like R&B, hiphop, rap but I don't feel "obliged to".. that's just the music I like.

ReputationRep:
    for god's sake some of you are reeeeally uptight over this aren't you. ok zapsta did get it a little un-pc- which made me giggle to be honest, but not want to start a rant over racism. there are still loads of areas in britain which haven't got a substantial ethnic minority therefore the people living in those areas wouldn't be familiar with what terms asian/black people preferred.

as for music, well yeah he got that wrong, but it was a question, i can see where he's coming from, a lot of urban music is like bhangra which is why a lot of asian people prefer it. on the other hand there are plenty (including myself) that like other types of music instead/as well.

so please, get over yourselves guys, is it REALLY worth arguing over? really?

ReputationRep:
    lol, well said Priya. I'm mixed race (half brown, half white :P) and personally love all sorts of music. However, I do have to agree with Zapsta to an extent that the MAJORITY (not all!) of "brown" people do prefer urban music. To be fair, I only know 1 indian person who prefers rock/indie sort of music. The rest all prefer R&B and Hip-Hop. But seriously guys, everyone just needs to relax when it comes to all this political correctness if someone wants to use the term "brown" then let them, they clearly don't mean it in an offensive way! Oh well, that was just my two cents.

Rick.

ReputationRep:
    thats becos they dont like this manufactured pop crap most of u white dudes listen to , the other day i heard this indian guy listening to britney spears and i slapped him.

i went to jacob wiv 25 thou

ReputationRep:
    Actually im brown and im into rock, punk and ska

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ænima)
    I think the real issue here is that RnB and hip hop sucks. This is a fact.

The real leaning for hip hop and RnB is stupid/poor people, i can understand why you thought it was a black thing.
    I think ur sick!!! If hip-hop and R&B is suppose to be 4 poor stupid black people then why r white people into it?! I guess they r poor n stupid 2 huh?! U need a life then u wouldn't have time 2 make stupid remarks!! Now whos the trash?! My guess would be u!! I don't c race here I just c one big *******!!! In case u r slow that means U!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcr8iv)

I've seen alot of lower class whites as well!! Don't be a fool!! Oops 2 late!!!

ReputationRep:
    Im an asian girl and I ahte rnb and hip hop, please dont generalise to all brown people.
    I love Westlife and I love listening to pop, dance, opera, indie and rock.
    I even love Sarah Brightman, Ok my family and mates laught at me, but all they say is ooo eminem is the best, but they cant say that, cos they dont listen to all kinds of music. Yes I do listen to bollywood film songs as well.

ReputationRep:
    A rather sheltered life some people lead!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.