Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kita)
    "white people" categorised ethnic minorities first....
    what a typical 'non-white' response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Girl)
    have u eva had racial comments made against you?
    yes, about five minutes ago, when you labelled the white race as slave traders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    Then why were only black people enslaved?
    And please don't tell me about the white slave trade, I know it exists but it's miniscule in comparison.
    blacks traded blacks. asians traded asians. this was not a practice limited to the white man..who incidentally ended slavery first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    A rather sheltered life some people lead!
    indeed, thanks for digging out this thread.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    blacks traded blacks. asians traded asians. this was not a practice limited to the white man..who incidentally ended slavery first.
    You cannot dispute than between the 15th and 20th centuries, white Europeans engaged in the largescale activity of The Transatlantic Slave Trade. Although, I would agree, that slavery has been practiced in all the major civilisations in history and that African complicity (to contended degrees) was a factor.

The triangular schematic of the Transatlantic slave trade saw Imperial trading vessels from Europe moving into West Africa (where the chief transaction was slaves in exchange for weaponry). Slaves then began their lives of bondage at the hands of Western slave masters as they were shipped across the trecherous Middle Passage to the Americas and the Caribbean. The final leg of the triangle saw the output of raw materials and its transportation back across the Atlantic to the European states.

Anything between 10m-18m West Africans were shipped across the Middle Passage and estimates for the total number of slaves (after subsequent generations) are unknown - some are as high as 70m. The massive scale of the Transatlantic Slave Trade and the rewards that bondage brought about for Western economies is unparalleled in the modern epoch. Slavery was still in existence at the early part of the last century and its legacy is still prevalent in modern day society. The fact that for 400 years, Europeans had millions of Africans at their beck and call, slaving on sugar plantations, in cotton fields and the like, is a major influence on the attitudes which certain people harbour today - and his undoubtedly shaped the society in which we live in.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Zapsta had no intention in offending people. there is an element of truth in what he says. all you need to do is turn on 'the hits' channel or something. don't use it as an excuse to dig at him, eh? you've made what he said an insult against yourselves, so its your problem, not his.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessb)
    I'm sure Zapsta had no intention in offending people. there is an element of truth in what he says. all you need to do is turn on 'the hits' channel or something. don't use it as an excuse to dig at him, eh? you've made what he said an insult against yourselves, so its your problem, not his.
    Why do white people only like white music then?

Answer, they don't necessarily and the same answer applies to Zapster's hugely insightful and leading question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)

Answer, they don't necessarily and the same answer applies to Zapster's hugely insightful and leading question.
    who said anything about white people?!

ReputationRep:
    You cannot dispute than between the 15th and 20th centuries, white Europeans engaged in the largescale activity of The Transatlantic Slave Trade. Although, I would agree, that slavery has been practiced in all the major civilisations in history and that African complicity (to contended degrees) was a factor.
    why would i? it doesnt detract from my point. the largescale activity was because european civilisation was far more advanced and was simply able to do it. its ridiculous to perceive attitudes, science and beliefs today as being anywhere near those when the first european cast eyes on a black man and environment somewhat more primitive to him and his own.

The triangular schematic of the Transatlantic slave trade saw Imperial trading vessels from Europe moving into West Africa (where the chief transaction was slaves in exchange for weaponry). Slaves then began their lives of bondage at the hands of Western slave masters as they were shipped across the trecherous Middle Passage to the Americas and the Caribbean. The final leg of the triangle saw the output of raw materials and its transportation back across the Atlantic to the European states.

Anything between 10m-18m West Africans were shipped across the Middle Passage and estimates for the total number of slaves (after subsequent generations) are unknown - some are as high as 70m. The massive scale of the Transatlantic Slave Trade and the rewards that bondage brought about for Western economies is unparalleled in the modern epoch. Slavery was still in existence at the early part of the last century and its legacy is still prevalent in modern day society. The fact that for 400 years, Europeans had millions of Africans at their beck and call, slaving on sugar plantations, in cotton fields and the like, is a major influence on the attitudes which certain people harbour today - and his undoubtedly shaped the society in which we live in.
    the point is, no recompense or guilt should be expected for it. i dont hate germans or expect an apology from a german for something that happened earlier this century and that he or she probably did not witness.

ReputationRep:
    last time i looked they dont..but anyway

ReputationRep:
    Ah, memories

ReputationRep:

Exactly what I thought. Plenty of them only like "white" music and plenty of brown people can only tolerate "brown people" music. But there are still many who like both.

ReputationRep:

No, the tastes of white people are far wider reaching. My original point is true, as shown by the quote below, where BlueAngel kindly gives us an insight into her life, showing that although she is an exception, the vast majority of asian people, including her family and friends, prefer hip-hop. It is the reasons for this that I was originally questioning.

(Original post by BlueAngel)
    Im an asian girl and I ahte rnb and hip hop, please dont generalise to all brown people.
    I love Westlife and I love listening to pop, dance, opera, indie and rock.
    I even love Sarah Brightman, Ok my family and mates laught at me, but all they say is ooo eminem is the best, but they cant say that, cos they dont listen to all kinds of music. Yes I do listen to bollywood film songs as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm white and i love hop hop, rap and rnb music. What rnb acts does everyone like? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I'm white and i love hop hop, rap and rnb music. What rnb acts does everyone like? :rolleyes:
    will young

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    will young
    hehehe, not quite the response i was expected. Keep thinking ......

ReputationRep:
    hehehe, not quite the response i was expected. Keep thinking ......
    westlife

ReputationRep:
    chingy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    westlife
    oh dear .... i think i need to take you to HMV. Bless you for trying.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 8, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.