Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Even though there are so many different races, cultures and religions in the world, is racism still as bad as it was about 20 years ago?
    Has anyone here been subject to any racism?
    Police cases such as the Stephen Lawrence murder appear to be racially motivated. Do you agree?
    Do you think that the multi-cultured society we live in today makes any difference to they way we see each other?

ReputationRep:
    I would say that although we are slightly more tolerant these days, there is still a huge amount of racism going on.

When you get people saying things like "I'm not racist, 'but' I wouldn't personally go to LSE because of all the asians" you just feel like banging your head against the wall. If you discriminate based on race, you're racist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annika17)
    Even though there are so many different races, cultures and religions in the world, is racism still as bad as it was about 20 years ago?
    Police cases such as the Stephen Lawrence murder appear to be racially motivated. Do you agree?
    Do you think that the multi-cultured society we live in today makes any difference to they way we see each other?
    I would say that the world is a lot less racist than it was 20 or 30 years ago. However, I'm white, so don't have first hand experience.

ReputationRep:
    The increasing numbers of mixed race relationships and their offspring is helping to reduce racism I think. I don't really have any facts or figures to back this statement up with however :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annika17)
    I think racism is getting worse because people feel threatened, especially in this country. There's a lot of stuff that annoys me actually but I'm not racist. E.g. not being allowed to fly the George Cross for fear of offending people. I think stuff like that is just a pathetic attempt at dealing with problems such as racism, and it just fuels racist thoughts. I also think that people can be oversensitive about it. Never having experienced racism this is obviously quite a naive view - I do appreciate though that racist acts do occur and strongly disapprove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Since when has that mattered? Ok, racism has decreased by 19% in the last 10 years.
    I meant to prove my hypothesis of a positive correlation between a decline in racism and the number of mixed race children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I think racism is getting worse because people feel threatened, especially in this country. There's a lot of stuff that annoys me actually but I'm not racist. E.g. not being allowed to fly the George Cross for fear of offending people. I think stuff like that is just a pathetic attempt at dealing with problems such as racism, and it just fuels racist thoughts. I also think that people can be oversensitive about it. Never having experienced racism this is obviously quite a naive view - I do appreciate though that racist acts do occur and strongly disapprove.
    Is there a law that say's you can't fly the George Cross?

ReputationRep:
    I havent been subject to a racist comment for ages now. Although when I was little, I used to want to be white because I got picked on. I've never known my dad, so my family that I know is all white. And they never made me feel any different. I used to hate being mixed race, because people used to call me names for it.

But I eventually began to realise that we can't all be the same, and by being mixed race, I have the best of both worlds!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, mixed race children are up 15%.
    :P

In 10000 years if we're still around everyone will be completely mixed with every one and we'll all be COMPLETELY IDENTICAL.

mark my words.

ReputationRep:
    I think there was some hoohah about it.... bloke down my street has one on a massive pole in his garden.
    My Dad's got one out front.

ReputationRep:
    well obviously.

ReputationRep:
    It was only one instance I think, some political correctness gone mad, someone complained that it was offensive :rolleyes: Should still be on BBC news or somewhere if anyone can be bothered to search.
    Load of ********. Since when has St.George's cross been a symbol of racism? Not like flying a swastika is it?

ReputationRep:
    Americans are never shy about brandishing their flag, why should the English be.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its racist, I wouldn't be offended by somebody waving the St Georges flag.

ReputationRep:
    Something to do with it being linked with the crusades I think...
    Good god.....that was 800 years ago!

ReputationRep:
    Any sources citing that it is illegal to fly the flag of St. George, or in any case that somebody, somwhere was not allowed to fly it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Any sources citing that it is illegal to fly the flag of St. George, or in any case that somebody, somwhere was not allowed to fly it?
    There is NO law against it per se. However, council planning departments basically say what you can/cannot do on your property so it's normally some local sandal wearing, tofu eating, part time Morris dancing, bearded, (you know the type) government official that will tell you to take it down.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/1937546.stm

EDIT

"Centuries have passed since, but the Crusades are still a cause of resentment among some muslims."
    Obvious then. Get rid of the George Cross so as not to offend the muslim community who've been here for at least 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    There is NO law against it per se. However, council planning departments basically say what you can/cannot do on your property so it's normally some local sandal wearing, tofu eating, part time Morris dancing, bearded, (you know the type) government official that will tell you to take it down.
    Basically, a white, middle-class bureaucrat that "thinks" somebody might be possibly offended.

ReputationRep:
    I think that some true cases of racism are ignored and some other things are just ridiculous political correctness gone mad. I dislike positive discrimination generally.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.