Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Basically, a white, middle-class bureaucrat that "thinks" somebody might be possibly offended.
    That's so true. I notice it's never the muslim community that kicks up a stink about Christmas cards etc, but rather a white 60's throwback sitting in some gray council office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Obvious then. Get rid of the George Cross so as not to offend the muslim community who've been here for at least 5 minutes.
    If it genuinely is offensive though, then I probably would put my hands up and say "OK, no worries, I can see this causes you distress, I won't fly it."

That said, however, I really doubt that St. George's cross carries anywhere near the same kind of meaning that other symbols can carry... the Swastika, for instance - everybody accepts that that is offensive and is an unnacceptable symbol to fly... even though it's a *******ized version of a perfectly good Indian symbol.

ReputationRep:
    If it genuinely is offensive though, then I probably would put my hands up and say "OK, no worries, I can see this causes you distress, I won't fly it."

That said, however, I really doubt that St. George's cross carries anywhere near the same kind of meaning that other symbols can carry... the Swastika, for instance - everybody accepts that that is offensive and is an unnacceptable symbol to fly... even though it's a *******ized version of a perfectly good Indian symbol.
    The problem with that is that you'd spend your whole life pandering to someone's sensitivities. However hard you try you'll always offend someone.

I wouldn't dream about telling anyone to take down their national flag, especially in their own country. I live in Florida, and can just imagine what my neighbors would say if I told them to take down Old Glory.......erm.....nothing probably......they'd just shoot me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Do you think if you went to a Muslim country they'd take down their flag because you were offended by it?
    Depends what was on the flag... I really can't say that as a white person I've ever had to experience racism, thankfully. Not saying that it doesn't happen, just that i've never experienced it. I therefore really can't identify with how people might feel.

I used the example of a Swastika. On the whole, the Swastika doesn't mean anything personal to me. I never experienced anything to do with the Nazis, I just know that they were bad. Jewish people on the other hand or any minorities that have/had relatives affected by the Nazis will think completely differently. The symbol is almost a personal attack on their family. The symbol is stained with the blood of millions. You also have to remember that this was only 60 years ago. In 800 years time, who's to say that the Swastika will not be just as un-offensive as St. George's Cross. I wouldn't bet against it.

If you've ever watched that episode of South Park where they have to re-design the South Park flag, you probably know where I'm coming from.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think if you went to a Muslim country they'd take down their flag because you were offended by it?

If your soe offended...why would you even be in the country? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brown Girl)
    If your soe offended...why would you even be in the country? :confused:
    Quite so. Anybody who is offended by someone's national flag really has no business being in that person's country.

ReputationRep:

When you get people saying things like "I'm not racist, 'but' I wouldn't personally go to LSE because of all the asians" you just feel like banging your head against the wall. If you discriminate based on race, you're racist!
    Edders the moderator is racist then, because he said that he was thinking about rejecting his imperial offer for durham because there are more coloured people at imperial, and he wouldn't like this.

ReputationRep:
    Its really sad that our flag has been destroyed by the far right. It has become such a symbol of xenophobia and racism that it can't be used most the time for fear of offence, even in schools. In America, the flag is a symbol of the country, and whoever may dwell within its borders. The Union Jack and flag of Saint George however, hijacked as they are, will never again be seen in that way

ReputationRep:
    Quite so. Anybody who is offended by someone's national flag really has no business being in that person's country.
    It's only a flag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    It's only a flag.
    That's true Bono. We were just talking about how some people get worked up about these things. If it's only a flag, it shouldn't upset anybody, and there's no reason to take them down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Edders the moderator is racist then, because he said that he was thinking about rejecting his imperial offer for durham because there are more coloured people at imperial, and he wouldn't like this.
    Well he's made an incredible generalisation about "coloured" people in that case. Generalisations are generally bad. I came to London from an area that is 99.7% white based on the 2001 census statistics, and I have made friends from so many countries, of so many different colours and religions etc. It's all about being open to meeting new people.

In my opinion, his statement, based on what you have said, means he is therefore either ignorant, close-minded, or racist. Pick one.

ReputationRep:
    The swastika itself is just a symbol, a pattern, its the connotations that people associate with it.

Yes I have seen that South Park episode!

I don't see why we should deny our history and traditions because people deign to attach their own interpretations to something.
    Briefly, what was the South Park episode about?

ReputationRep:
    Well he's made an incredible generalisation about "coloured" people in that case. Generalisations are generally bad. I came to London from an area that is 99.7% white based on the 2001 census statistics, and I have made friends from so many countries, of so many different colours and religions etc. It's all about being open to meeting new people.

In my opinion, his statement, based on what you have said, means he is therefore either ignorant, close-minded, or racist. Pick one.
    I'll pick all three, as this applies to him.

He was discriminating against the people at Imperial due to their skin colour - This shows ignorance, close-mindedness and racism.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on slightly dodgy ground here but in my opinion what goes on in a country is the business of that country. I wouldn't go to a country that I knew was racist against my race and there might be things there that offend me. I wouldn't go there anyway and try to change that country from within, its not my business what their opinions and beliefs are.
    I'd pretty much go along with that.

ReputationRep:
    It had a picture of some white men hanging a black man EDIT on the flag.
    Oh.

ReputationRep:
    That's true Bono. We were just talking about how some people get worked up about these things. If it's only a flag, it shouldn't upset anybody, and there's no reason to take them down.
    Yes, I mean the more emphasis that is placed on cultural/ethnic differences, then the greater the possibility of those from ethnic minorities feeling annoyed.

e.g.) "oooo, we shouldn't put up the english flag as you are of a different race."

Constantly highlighting the fact that some people are not white and that such political decisions constantly refer to ethnicity will only single groups out as "different." or "the others".

This isn't good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    I'll pick all three, as this applies to him.

He was discriminating against the people at Imperial due to their skin colour - This shows ignorance, close-mindedness and racism.
    I don't know if that's discriminating Bono. I'm not going to look up the exact definition but to me, discrimination connotes one person/group of people in a position of power discriminating against anther person/group of people on grounds of color, race, sexual orientation, religion etc.

In the case of Edders (and this is definately the last I'll say on the matter since he's not here to defend himself) surely it's just a personal choice about the people he want's to study with, rather than discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    I see where you're coming from but this is not necesarily racist as such (although it certainly sounds like it).
    It is racial prejudice, ignorance and closed-mindedness.

OK, racism may be extending it a little, but it wouldn't surprise me. I mean if Imperial students heard this then they would be offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Yes, I mean the more emphasis that is placed on cultural/ethnic differences, then the greater the possibility of those from ethnic minorities feeling annoyed.

e.g.) "oooo, we shouldn't put up the english flag as you are of a different race."

Constantly highlighting the fact that some people are not white and that such political decisions constantly refer to ethnicity will only single groups out as "different." or "the others".

This isn't good.
    I honestly think anybody should be able to fly their national flag without interference from anybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annika17)
    Even though there are so many different races, cultures and religions in the world, is racism still as bad as it was about 20 years ago?
    Has anyone here been subject to any racism?
    Police cases such as the Stephen Lawrence murder appear to be racially motivated. Do you agree?
    Do you think that the multi-cultured society we live in today makes any difference to they way we see each other?
    i believe that most people are racist from time to time, but we do hide it beneath our faces

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.