Quick question regarding neuromuscular junction Watch

nikk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Is it ok to use the term 'post-synaptic membrane', with regard to the neuromuscular junction? If not, what would you call the membrane with the nicotinic acetylcholine receptors on? I am just wondering if this term is correct because the NMJ isn't a synapse in the conventional sense...

Thanks
nikk
Rep:
?
Oh, would it be motor end plate (MEP)?
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
Oh, would it be motor end plate (MEP)?
http://academic.wsc.edu/faculty/jato...r_junction.jpg

Post-synaptic membrane is still fine.

I don't know for sure but motor end plate may be the end of a nerve leading to a neuromuscluar junction...
nikk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Revenged)
Post-synaptic membrane is still fine.
Nice one, thanks!
I don't know for sure but motor end plate may be the end of a nerve leading to a neuromuscluar junction...
Yeah I was thinking that as well but my I have a diagram here that shows it as being called the motor-end plate....it does sound like it sound be referring to the end of the motor neuron though. :confused:
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
Nice one, thanks!

Yeah I was thinking that as well but my I have a diagram here that shows it as being called the motor-end plate....it does sound like it sound be referring to the end of the motor neuron though. :confused:
I dunno... I haven't done this since A-level and i doubt i even knew it then...
nikk
Rep:
?
Hmm according to definitions of motor end plate on the internet, it does refer to the 'flattened end of the motor neuron'. This has confused me all the more, because terms like 'end-plate potential' which refers to depolarisation of the sarcolemma don't seem to make sense in that case!
nikk
Rep:
?
Hmm...my physiology book definitely says that the motor end plate is the 'post-synaptic membrane' side. Since it is the latest edition and very detailed, I am more inclined to believe that than a definition off the internet.
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
Hmm...my physiology book definitely says that the motor end plate is the 'post-synaptic membrane' side. Since it is the latest edition and very detailed, I am more inclined to believe that than a definition off the internet.
lol, i had v similar problem with definitions...

there was a question in my exam where you had to give the definitions of basic genetics...

but as we don't get the answer to the exam papers, i wasn't sure how to answer them...

cuz for mRNA, lets say...

you could say what it is, which is what i did at A-level...

'single stranded, has U instead of T, has ribose sugar that binds to phosphate...etc.'

but i think (based on the fact that i didn't get marks for those things) that they wanted the function of mRNA - not what mRNA is...

e.g. 'produced by the transcription of DNA and its codons code for the amino acids in a polypetide in transcription'

anyways, it's best to go with the book
nikk
Rep:
?
e.g. 'produced by the transcription of DNA and its codons code for the amino acids in a polypetide in transcription'
Hmm, that's an interesting point....I will bear it in mind if I get asked to define anything in my exams!
doogleboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Call it the sarcolemma.
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
emm... I think the motor end plate is a histological term describing the terminal branches innervating the muscle fibre. Postsynaptic sarcolemmal membrane is probably fine. (as is postsynaptic).
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by nikk)
Hmm according to definitions of motor end plate on the internet, it does refer to the 'flattened end of the motor neuron'. This has confused me all the more, because terms like 'end-plate potential' which refers to depolarisation of the sarcolemma don't seem to make sense in that case!
end plate potential is just the potential across the postsynaptic (i.e. sarcolemmal) membrane.
nikk
Rep:
?
(Original post by darkenergy)
end plate potential is just the potential across the postsynaptic (i.e. sarcolemmal) membrane.
Yep I got that... it was the term 'motor end plate' that had me confused...mainly because the definitions I got on the internet contradicted those in my book. But according to my book, the motor end plate is the pre-synaptic membrane...which makes sense since a end plate potential is a potential across that membrane as you say
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the endplate refers to the nerve (presynaptic), nmj, and the postsynaptic (muscle)
nikk
Rep:
?
the endplate refers to the nerve (presynaptic), nmj, and the postsynaptic (muscle)
That's why I was confused....my textbook says otherwise.... There are two diagrams (probably in text as well but haven't bothered looking lol) that point to the sarcolemma just across the cleft from the pre-synaptic membrane and labels it as the motor end plate.
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
emmm lol.
nikk
Rep:
?
emmm lol.
It makes more sense really...because an 'end plate potential' refers to the sarcolemma side....so it would be natural for motor end plate to also be that side.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads