Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I put Kent down on my list almost as a joke - I didn't really expect to have to go there, but if some catastrophe happened it seemed nice enough. Following my rejection from Bristol last week, it remains the only university to have given me an offer and I'm only waiting for Manchester to get back to me.

It looks like I'm going to have to come to terms with going off to Kent at the end of the summer. I'm not looking forward to it - everywhere else I applied asked for AAB, which I got. Kent only asks for 3 Bs for my course (English and Drama). It seems like such a waste of effort. I can't believe nowhere else will have me. My parents are going to be even more disappointed than I am, when I tell them.

Anyway, if anyone goes to Kent and fancies telling me how wonderful it is to try and help me look forward to going, it would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth your while rejecting all your offers and taking a year out to work and/or travel. You can evaluate your life and then re-apply.

Alternatively, reject all your offers and hope for a clearing place at a uni you wouldn't mind going to?

ReputationRep:
    Kazuo Ishiguro went to Kent.
    I really liked the look of it from the prospectus if it's any consolation, couldnt go though cos it was too far from home and want to be in london!

ReputationRep:
    Is that Kent or UKC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mioniel)
    I put Kent down on my list almost as a joke - I didn't really expect to have to go there, but if some catastrophe happened it seemed nice enough. Following my rejection from Bristol last week, it remains the only university to have given me an offer and I'm only waiting for Manchester to get back to me.

It looks like I'm going to have to come to terms with going off to Kent at the end of the summer. I'm not looking forward to it - everywhere else I applied asked for AAB, which I got. Kent only asks for 3 Bs for my course (English and Drama). It seems like such a waste of effort. I can't believe nowhere else will have me. My parents are going to be even more disappointed than I am, when I tell them.

Anyway, if anyone goes to Kent and fancies telling me how wonderful it is to try and help me look forward to going, it would be much appreciated.
    Hey I went through a dilemma like yours! I think, only go to Kent if you feel you are truely going to be satisfied and happy with going there. Put it down on your UCAS as an acceptance just in case, you can always reject them after your results if you decided you don't want to go there.

Try asking the other universities why they rejected you, and evaluate whether reapplying with your A-Level results would be worth while. I know it's painful, but their critism is often constructive. In any case, it probably a factor of increased competition for places. Bristol is not the easiest university to get a place at!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    It might be worth your while rejecting all your offers and taking a year out to work and/or travel. You can evaluate your life and then re-apply.

Alternatively, reject all your offers and hope for a clearing place at a uni you wouldn't mind going to?
    Sounds like he's already on a year out though, and has already got AAB..

ReputationRep:
    Don't go there if you don't want to, it'll do favours for anyone. Re-apply, theres no stigma to it anymore. Just get as good grades as poss!

ReputationRep:
    Kents not terrible, it has a good reputation and a lovely location But you'll have to decide for yourself not on the basis of what people have to say. Good luck - (also there's always clearing if you decline all the offers you get)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionah)
    Sounds like he's already on a year out though, and has already got AAB..
    She but yes

Is that Kent or UKC?
    Kent

I don't realistically feel that I can take a 2nd gap year. Whereas one is acceptable, 2 may look bad to the universities. Plus, I'm desperate to get away from home.

The thing is, I'm absolutely terrified of rejecting the one offer I do have. What if I never get another?! Is there any way of finding out how many spaces are usually available in Clearing and for which universities?

Someone mentioned asking universities why they rejected me. Is that really possible? I mean, obviously it's possible, but is there any chance that they'll remember why they rejected me? I'd be interested to hear from someone who's actually done this.

ReputationRep:

Apparently Kent is the most dull place in England! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    She but yes

Kent

I don't realistically feel that I can take a 2nd gap year. Whereas one is acceptable, 2 may look bad to the universities. Plus, I'm desperate to get away from home.

The thing is, I'm absolutely terrified of rejecting the one offer I do have. What if I never get another?! Is there any way of finding out how many spaces are usually available in Clearing and for which universities?

Someone mentioned asking universities why they rejected me. Is that really possible? I mean, obviously it's possible, but is there any chance that they'll remember why they rejected me? I'd be interested to hear from someone who's actually done this.
    Yep you can email and ask for feedback of why they rejected you, its more common for people who've had interviews check out the oxbridge forum some of the threads in there are about feedback but you can ask for feedback if you didnt have an interview email admissions.
    What other offers are you waiting for?

ReputationRep:
    She but yes

Kent

I asked Notts why they rejected me and I got back a standard letter which they had obviously sent to everyone that had asked. Some people have got really good feedback though so its always worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Riz*)
    I asked Notts why they rejected me and I got back a standard letter which they had obviously sent to everyone that had asked. Some people have got really good feedback though so its always worth a try.
    Also, my bf went to Kent and loved it

ReputationRep:
    Where else did you apply? Did you def get rejected everywhere apart from kent?

If I was you I'd reject Kent.. it's pretty obvious you could do better and I'm a firm believer in going to the best you can & where you feel most comfortable - doesnt REALLY sound like kent would suit you.

I don't really know much about clearing, apart from that Queen Mary had vacancies for English last year through clearing (haha that's the one thing I checked..) the *best* unis won't have spaces through clearing but others will do, and you'll stand a good chance as you'll have your results before everyone else.

What about ucas extra??? If you used up your six choices and reject kent then that might be a good idea

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I shall try asking for feedback. I'm only waiting for one more reply - from Manchester. That's the place I really want to go, but it's not looking hopeful....

What on earth is UCAS extra?!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I shall try asking for feedback. I'm only waiting for one more reply - from Manchester. That's the place I really want to go, but it's not looking hopeful....

UCAS extra is available to people who have had 6 rejections or have turned down all their offers. You can select a further course to apply for through the extra website, but there are no garauntees you'll get it and you won't have an insurance choice if you do.

ReputationRep:

http://www.ucas.com/getting/after/extra.html

I live in Kent (kinda) and a lot of my friends are there at the moment. They all love it there! When I visited I thought it was really nice- not a bad place to end up in my opinion. But I think its best if you check it out for yourself before you go through extra or clearing. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Is that Kent or UKC?
    You mean Christ Church Canterbury or UKC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    You mean Christ Church Canterbury or UKC?
    Well i know what I meant

ReputationRep:
    Well know I don't know what ANYONE means! :confused:

I got my rejection from Manchester yesterday. I can't believe it. I worked so hard at school and I needn't have bothered.

Anyway, I'm going to accept Kent's offer because it's better than nothing, which is what I might end up with if I go through Clearing. Thanks for your advice everyone.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.