Words of reassurance re. Kent? Watch

This discussion is closed.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
kent is ok my flatmate went there for English. Is there anything specific you need to know just ask?
It seems pretty good academically, its not top but its definitely not bottom, social life is good,town is pretty. Is there anything you want to ask cos i can ask for you?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
Even if you accept kents offer that doesn't mean you can't look around for places through clearing/extra - contacting the universities which are advertising extra places on the UCAS website (usually starts in May/June) directly to see if they would consider you. Then if one of them does you simply need to contact kent and ask them to release you into extra/clearing (which they will almost certainly do - dispite UCAS's "your offer is a binding contract" sermon most uni's would much rather give your place to someone who wants it than to force you to go to them even if you don't want to).

I honestly recommend investigating clearing - especially if you are likely to achieve such high results. I know for a fact that our english dept (Southampton) would rather get someone with high grades through clearing than someone who's dropped a lot of grades but accepted an offer that was beyond them...and we usually have a fair few places for english available through clearing each yr (although of course it varies depending on how our applicants do at their A levels)
Would it be possible to check for advertisements on UCAS xtra (not clearing) and if you find one you like, ask the university if they would be willing to ake you an offer (without rejecting all your offers) and then if they say that they would, could you reject your offers and apply to them through xtra safe in the knowledge that you will have an offer?
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mioniel)
Well know I don't know what ANYONE means! :confused:

I got my rejection from Manchester yesterday. I can't believe it. I worked so hard at school and I needn't have bothered.

Anyway, I'm going to accept Kent's offer because it's better than nothing, which is what I might end up with if I go through Clearing. Thanks for your advice everyone.
i'm so sorry, thats awful when you've worked really hard and got the grades for your other choices but they rejected you! you must be gutted
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well my flatmate went to kent and she got 2 As so it cant be all bad
Alexander
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You could try writing grovelling letters to one or more of the universities that rejected you saying that you were very keen to go to them (make sure you do sound very keen), and ask them very politely to reconsider your application. It worked for a friend of mine who got rejected by Bristol; a few weeks after writing such a letter they withdrew the rejection and gave him an ABB offer.
Geogger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by viviki)
kent is ok my flatmate went there for English. Is there anything specific you need to know just ask?
It seems pretty good academically, its not top but its definitely not bottom, social life is good,town is pretty. Is there anything you want to ask cos i can ask for you?
UKC is in Canterbury which is a gorgeous city. Shops are really good and you are within a short distance of the Channel tunnel and ferries for booze trips to France, the weather's the best in the UK. Think positive - it's a lovely area and you are a short train ride to London (good commuter access)
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Canterbury is a cool city, and it has the most pubs per square mile. Weatherspoons is legendary in Canterbury and we love it.
Mioniel
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
The problem with Extra is that you can only use it (correct me if I'm wrong) if you've used up all your six choices and I didn't. I only made four. I hadn't heard of Extra. I know it seems stupid now, but I already had my grades and knew where I wanted to go. I didn't bank on being rejected by all but one.

And I'm out of the country during Clearing, leaving May/June. That was the whole point of my Gap Year - to save up some money and then go travelling. And wouldn't it be rather mean and cause them no end of trouble to accept Kent and then ask them to let me go elsewhere? What if I get a fantastic offer from somewhere and they DON'T let me go?! That would be terrible. Apologies for my fatalism :rolleyes:

The problem with writing a letter is that all the courses I applied for interview all potential applicants and I didn't even get to that stage. They must have REALLY not wanted me. If anyone was going to get their application reconsidered it would be someone who got through to the interview stage but didn't make it any further.

Incidentally, I got a letter from UCAS today saying that I had to accept or decline my offer from Kent by 24th April, or they'll decline it for me.

I'm going to the visit day on the 24th, so I shall be able to see if all those wonderful things everyone's saying about Kent are true! Keep em coming!
tommorris
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I visited UKC in Canterbury for an academic conference a few weeks back. Very nice campus, good views and a nice city.

The county is quite dull though!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (301)
92.33%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (25)
7.67%

Watched Threads