The Student Room Group

How bad is food stealing at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iammarmite
There nearest supermarket to Edge Hill university is a 3 minute walk away. I know that for a fact as I have lived in the area for 20 years. And yes, I can go in and buy what I need to with out adding random rubbish to my basket- it's called willpower and when you are buying your shopping with your own money- you soon learn how to control it.

If someone wants to take that personally- fine. But not all of us are going to university with pockets full of cash.
You make a fair point, but most students are poor as s**t, as well.. Living away from your parents in halls is suppsosed to be a life experience which helps you not to be an anti-social, paranoid p***k, but an independent and sensible young adult. I'd recommend meeting your flatmates first and giving them a fair chance before you exclude yourself out as "the passive aggressive, grumpy one".
Original post by sophisticated
I dunno....it sounds like you've spent way too much time thinking about this.

Or I'm just quick off the mark ;D
Original post by 303.Bubbles
You make a fair point, but most students are poor as s**t, as well.. Living away from your parents in halls is suppsosed to be a life experience which helps you not to be an anti-social, paranoid p***k, but an independent and sensible young adult. I'd recommend meeting your flatmates first and giving them a fair chance before you exclude yourself out as "the passive aggressive, grumpy one".

Not to mention that buying/cooking food in dribs and drabs is actually going to cost more in the long run than having the occasional bit of milk/cheese/sugar taken. I'm glad I'm not lined up to live with this miserable so-and-so.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I has 3 pizzas and my spreaded cheese go missing in halls, was not happy.
Reply 104
This isn't an unusual issue. Sometimes it can be accidental but more ofen than not it isn't. They come in every shape, size and form. Sometimes it isn't so much them taking a bit here and there that irritates, it is those that takes a bit of milk and then leaves the bottle on the table that will irk you the most because by the time you return in the evening you find that 3/4 full bottle of milk had gone sour. Have also returned home to a half eaten pizza, 2 chicken breast where some idiot nicked 1 and simply left the other one out.

Foods that will always go stolen :- any kind of chilled/frozen meals, cereals, bread, eggs, ketchup, biscuits, pasta, baked beans and any cooked foods plus sugar and salt as well as any butter/spreads.

Drinks to watch out for :- Milk and crooks normally aren't fussy about the type, tea or coffee, any kind of alcoholic beverages especially alcopops, beer and vodka...beer can be stolen even if it isn't chilled and sometimes the entire cube will go missing.

There isn't really much you could do, you could tell the person off but usually it happens again probably within the next day or two. You could label your foods, but this mostly prevents accidental situations only. If this is a problem in your flat, then the best thing to do is to store your dry foods in your room. For stuff that needs to be kept in the fridge, what we did was 4 of the 8 of us collaborated and made a deal to cook dinner for 4 once per week, that way you usually finish up all food within the day.

If there was some balance or unused portions we used to use it for tricks, usually something involving the toilet :biggrin: Speaking of toilets, another common issue is there will always be someone who takes a poo and will use up all the toilet rolls without ever buying any at all. Always keep a spare roll in your room :biggrin:
Reply 105
I imagined the whole food stealing thing to be really bad but it's not at all, I'm so glad I put off buying a mini-fridge till I got here cause I realised I don't need one.

None of my flatmates really talk or interact with each other (if we are cooking in the kitchen at the same time we will chit chat but that is it) so our kitchen is literally just a place 5 strangers happen to use.

We all have separate shelves in the fridge and freezer and keep all our own pans/crockery etc in our own cupboards so it is easy to know who's is who's and no one uses each others stuff unless we ask beforehand and wash it up as soon as we finish. We have a shared cupboard and a shared shelf in the fridge for overflows but even then no one takes other peoples food. We pretty much practice 'if you didn't buy it, don't use it.' But we never discussed this before hand.

Once someone took all my diet cokes out of the fridge (I always have 4 in the fridge at any one time). So I got in from work at 4:00am headed to the fridge for a refreshing can o' coke and they were gone. I was mega pissed so left a post it note in the fridge saying 'To whoever decided to drink ALL my diet cokes, DO NOT take my things without asking!!!' After that it never happened again.

Quick Reply

Latest