help! my course got cut Watch

oj_g
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
basically, i applied for sussex to do anthropology with french in 2007 and it's always definitely been my first choice. but this morning i got a letter saying they're cutting it from next year so i have to either not defer or change. there's pretty much no way i'm not having a gap year so that's out of the question. i really wanted to do this course cos it meant i could do half anthropology, a quarter french and a quarter development studies, which is really good cos i couldn't decide between anthropology and development for ages.

so now my choices are to do anthropology and french which cuts the development completely and probably means i have to study french literature etc (yuck), anthropology and french and spanish or something, but i never really wanted to be a proper linguist, just like french. or i could do development studies with french, but i feel like that closes up my options a bit.

this on top of the stuff about the financial problems, which i dismissed before and the booklet i got recently with accomodation prices in (!) is starting to make me doubt my decision. but i really, really want to go there cos i've loved it both times i've visited and now i have less than a month to decide! anyone else in the same position or can give me any suggestions? it would be much appreciated!
Wise One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Could you not ask to Anthropology and Development Studies, and then take an Open Language Course in a relatively high level of French? It costs ya, but the teaching is quality. I'm doing Beginners Mandarin.
oj_g
yeah apart from i desperately want the year abroad. see i'm being really fussy and inflexible now, but i really can't help it cos i couldn't believe that course existed cos it was so perfect... so now i'll probably just have loads of trouble deciding on an alternative and will sit here stamping my feet and just wanting that original course. yes, i know it's not productive and i'm gonna have to find a way to stop doing that! i'm coming to visit again on tuesday though, so i'll see if i can talk to someone about it and get some advice.
Mrs Rickman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You could do Athropology and Development Studies, whilst continuing French with Sussex's language institute (i plan to do that with German next year), and then spend a year in France through the Erasmus scheme.
Wise One
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That is true. You might be able to do a year abroad anyway. Check out: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/saela
oj_g
yeah, i thought about that, cos then i could carry on with my french without having to do the dull stuff, but i wanted to do a year working rather than a studying exchange thing. i visited yesterday and i think i'm probably leaning towards development studies with french, although i got the 2007 prospectus this morning and it still has the course i applied for in it despite it not existing in that year. if they get a lot of interest from that, do you think there's any chance they'd reinstate it?
dogtanian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why is deferring not an option?

It could be a good chance to earn money. A lot of first years at Sussex seem to be a little older than straight from college 18 year olds, if that's what worries you..
oj_g
no, no, i'm definitely deferring! it's my refusal to give up my gap year which means i can't do the course. it's still running this year. i think i want too many things...
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh, sorry, yeah, I get you.

Have they stopped the course because certain modules have been cut? You could ask the departments concerned if it's just that there wasn't enough interest to keep the joint course open, but it's still possible to do all the bits that make up the course through outside subject modules..
oj_g
i have no idea why it got cut, but i only got a chance to go to the anthropology and development talks, neither of which thought it was their course to get cut, or were in fact aware of the change at all. if i do half and half anthropology and french i don't think you can do any electives or anything. i'm sure it'll all come right in the end! i'll probably end up on some course that i actually love even more than the original! well, that's the optimistic view i am forcing myself to take!
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Could you not ask to just do single honours Anthrop, then take the Development module and a French module that doesn't involve lit as elective modules? Obviously ring the relevant departments to check that they'll be available as modules..
Wise One
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dogtanian)
Could you not ask to just do single honours Anthrop, then take the Development module and a French module that doesn't involve lit as elective modules? Obviously ring the relevant departments to check that they'll be available as modules..
That way, it would be the same for the first and second years, but you'd be doing entirely anthropology in the last.
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh yes, Wise One's right. Of course it'd never be exactly the same as the course you'd applied for, but if you were only ever going to be able to do it at Sussex, and if that's a good enough compromise, it'd definitely be worth investigating, I'd say.

Of course, before you make any decision, make sure you contact all three departments to see how likely that the combination of course + electives would be available to you. It might just be that the course you applied for didn't have the number of applicants needed to make it viable, but it might be available as an electives combination. It might be that a module was entirely cut, which would obviously mean that the suggestion made would be no good. But you won't know unless you ask, and there's never any harm in sending a quick email
oj_g
yeah, it'd still cut the year abroad though. thanks for all the advice, i think i'm coming to terms with it. there are still lots of good courses, all of which i will probably enjoy...so i'm just gonna try not to think about it too much. other than hope they reinstate it cos it's still in the prospectus so i spose people will still apply for it this year and if it was cut cos of low interest, there could be the slightest possibility they'd put it back. kidding myself probably, but staying optimistic!
dogtanian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can still do a year abroad, even in an unrelated subject. Like Becca said, she's doing BSc Geography, and she's off to the States next year! Geographers don't normally do the year abroad, but there are always options!
SussexJo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If anyone has any problems with modules disappearing or any other academic-related issues its worth contacting the Students' Union Education Officer, the lovely Sophie McGlinn - [email protected], 01273 873324 or pop into the Student Advice Centre, Falmer House

Jo x
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.46%
No (530)
60.78%
Not really bothered about them (181)
20.76%

Watched Threads