Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, not sure if i'm posting under the right section, but here's my problem :rolleyes: :

I'm trying to install a French programme, bought the CD in 1996. The Setup won't run on my computer. Details about my computer: Windows XP system, Pentium D. I've tried running the program compatibility thing, i've tried cleaning the CD, i'm sure that there's nothing wrong with my CD Rom drive, I didn't put the CD in the wrong drive, and I really don't know what to do. I've been on the BBC website where I think we got the CD from, and they don't have upgrades or anything. So What do I do?? :eek:

Thank you so so much!!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the CD doesn't work on operating systems above 98? there are quite a few progammes like that.

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    does none of it work?

does it recognise the cd?

if so, explore the cd and run anything that looks like a setup.exe

or does it install, and you just can't run it. if its that, then you are screwed! (probably)

ReputationRep:
    How exactly won't it install? What error messages are provided?

ReputationRep:
    Well for some of my old games i have to do this:

1) Copy all files from cd to hard drive.
    2) Find any .exe file and right click and select properties.
    3) Under compatibilities select run this file to be compatible for windows 95.
    4) Then install
    5) In the installed directory, find all .exe files and do the same thing.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    just find the .exe file in the cd and double click it :

ReputationRep:
    Hehe!! I've tried making the program compatible and everything, won't work. My friend said that I could try partitioning the computer...but think that's a bit too extreme.

(Original post by hitman012)
    How exactly won't it install? What error messages are provided?
    When I click on it, absolutely nothing comes up. No error message no nothing. Will have to use the dodgy laptop, lol :P

Thank you all for helpping Much Appreciated!! Will rep people if I have time to say thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    does none of it work?

does it recognise the cd?

if so, explore the cd and run anything that looks like a setup.exe

or does it install, and you just can't run it. if its that, then you are screwed! (probably)
    (Done that as well :P was getting pretty desperate at that point! Thanx though )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess89)
    (Done that as well :P was getting pretty desperate at that point! Thanx though )
    so what happened? we're not psycic!

what happened when you tried to install it?

and whoever said to partition ur hard disk is a *complete* ******. ignore him/her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess89)
    When I click on it, absolutely nothing comes up. No error message no nothing. Will have to use the dodgy laptop, lol :P
    Hehe! Lol, don't expect anyone to be psychic :P Absolutely nothing happened when I clicked on the setup file! :P

Partitioning the hard drive should work, because it means you can run more than one operating system, but can be tricky.

Anyway, thank you anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    so what happened? we're not psycic!

what happened when you tried to install it?

and whoever said to partition ur hard disk is a *complete* ******. ignore him/her.
    Well if you partition the hard drive and install windows 98 or 95 creating a dual boot system it should work.

So its a sensible idea really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost101)
    Well if you partition the hard drive and install windows 98 or 95 creating a dual boot system it should work.

So its a sensible idea really.
    You'd have to fudge about with the bootloaders though since 9x wont be aware of the XP installation.

A better option is to run 9x under a virtual PC. Either that or not use the program.

ReputationRep:
    Not going to partition it, i'll probably mess the computer up... :P
    Just spent two hours trying to make the program work on our old laptops and both times I get this message:

''16 bit Windows Subsystem
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.''

What do I do? Any help would be much appreciated! Thank You!!

ReputationRep:
    What O/S are the laptops running?

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    Both Windows XP!

ReputationRep:
    yeh, i reckon the cd isn't made to run on windows xp like i said before. if you've got any computers/laptops etc that run 98 or 2000, give it a try on those.

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I haven't :P But I was able to install the CD once upon a time on the laptop, but now when I try and run it, I get that error message. Computers can be so frustrating! :P Thanks anyway

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.