The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mandrake45
Parent's perspective here.

My son got a D, largely due to prolonged illness over the last academic year, and based on his marks would have gotten a D anyway. We always knew he was going to borderline and in the end he got onto a very similar level 3 course to the one he applied for, which includes some English to get him up to Uni standard as part of the course.

That said, he couldn't get either of the places he'd actually applied for due to his grade. Had he been one of the many thousands (hundreds of thousands from what I've read) whose mark would have gotten them a C if they'd taken the exam in January, I'd be royally pissed.

If you're expecting a C, your teachers are expecting a C and all your 6th form/FE plans have been based on you getting a C and then you don't get one because they change the boundaries 2 weeks before the exam, I think you have a right to be upset. Getting a C might be easy for some people but I assure it isn't for others and getting your plans/dreams shattered due to the vagaries of some political motivated decision really isn't nice.

Why does it matter when they changed the boundaries? Boundaries change from paper to paper as no paper is going to be equally challenging.

And no, it wouldn't be nice if it was simply done on "the vagaries of some political motivated decision" but the independent exam board regulator said it wasn't, the government said it wasn't and no-one has produced a single scrap of evidence to say otherwise. I know there is an obsession in this country to claim everything anyone in authority ever says is a lie, but unless you can prove otherwise, I'm not personally going to jump on the bandwagon and claim it's a political decision.
Reply 61
Guys, once you get to uni and they scale marks there (which is not that unusual) you would be laughing at this, just saying. Grade boundary change compared to actually changing your score will seem a joke.
Reply 62
Original post by callum9999
Why does it matter when they changed the boundaries? Boundaries change from paper to paper as no paper is going to be equally challenging.

And no, it wouldn't be nice if it was simply done on "the vagaries of some political motivated decision" but the independent exam board regulator said it wasn't, the government said it wasn't and no-one has produced a single scrap of evidence to say otherwise. I know there is an obsession in this country to claim everything anyone in authority ever says is a lie, but unless you can prove otherwise, I'm not personally going to jump on the bandwagon and claim it's a political decision.

What constitutes a political decision though? Getting votes (this surely didn't as so many people are upset), bending to the will of the lobby (maybe, but the lobby can't be as persuasive and important as say the tobacco lobby)?

The aim of this change was to stop grade inflation - is that a political decision or not? It is a sensible one at any rate.
Reply 63
Original post by shadab786ahmed
How can an English Language Exam be "easier?" I know someone who had an E overall, however, had he sat the exam in January would have had a C with his raw marks...

I got an A overall this year (year ten) however I thought it was unfair marking, not unfair grade boundaries...

Unit 1: 23/40
Unit 2: 25/40
Unit 3: 60/60
Unit 4: 56/60

Thats a huge gap between units which is why I was surprised... Either way, I think it was harsh marking and not the grade boundaries for A/A* but for the D/C the jumps were huge...

I got rainbow rades ranging from A to U in my A-Level module results this year. What makes you think this is abnormal?
Original post by CJKay
I got rainbow rades ranging from A to U in my A-Level module results this year. What makes you think this is abnormal?

Because I wrote to the same standard as my mocks, and in my mocks I got A/A*...

Posted from the Bottom of the Big Blue Sea...
Reply 65
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Because I wrote to the same standard as my mocks, and in my mocks I got A/A*...

I got B/A in my mocks and got CDE in my A-Level grades overall. :smile:
You have much to learn.
Original post by CJKay
I got B/A in my mocks and got CDE in my A-Level grades overall. :smile:
You have much to learn.

Oh well... If I stay at an A that's fine :smile: I'll be happy, a remark cant hurt...

Anyway, my forté is /should be are/Mathematics and Science (and French and history)

:biggrin:

Original post by danny111
What constitutes a political decision though? Getting votes (this surely didn't as so many people are upset), bending to the will of the lobby (maybe, but the lobby can't be as persuasive and important as say the tobacco lobby)?

The aim of this change was to stop grade inflation - is that a political decision or not? It is a sensible one at any rate.

What lobby? There is no "make exam grades lower" lobby.

Who explicitly said that was the aim of the change of boundaries? Other than in a general sense (when a paper is easy it changes to make it fairer when you compare - which is also a kind of protection against grade inflation), I've never heard anyone actually in charge say it was. Unless I'm mistaken, it's just people speculating.
Reply 68
Original post by callum9999
What lobby? There is no "make exam grades lower" lobby.

Who explicitly said that was the aim of the change of boundaries? Other than in a general sense (when a paper is easy it changes to make it fairer when you compare - which is also a kind of protection against grade inflation), I've never heard anyone actually in charge say it was. Unless I'm mistaken, it's just people speculating.

My point was that what is a political decision? Something that either caters to lobbyists or to voters. I was saying it is doubtful it does to either, so calling it a political decision in a derogatory manner is silly.
Reply 69
The argument is that the Conservatives feel that GCSEs are too easy - probably because they've calculated that a large cross-section of voters feel the same - and that they wanted to be seen to improve educational standards, hence putting pressure on Ofqual to adjust the boundaries. Whether that happened or not, it's certainly true that the atmosphere of harsher examinations created by the present government will have had an impact on this decision, and they did that for political reasons (i.e. to reform the system Labour 'broke')
Reply 70
Have a look at English Language unit1 for june 2012.. C grade went up by a mere 3 raw marks.. doesn't this happen every year for every exam, the grade boundaries shuffle up and down slightly.. people shouldn't be complaining!!
Reply 71
Original post by Toomanyoptions
its unfair becuase poeple who were going to get c's to do their apprenticeships or a levels can't now because they raised the marks needed to get a C, and they only raised it because people started saying it is too easy to get a C, And i agree it is too easy but you can't raise the marks needed halfway through the course because that is not fair.

Not really. There are people planning to do an apprenticeship or whatever in 6 months and there are those planning to do it in a year. No matter when it gets changed it affects some group of people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
A bit late, but I think it's the fact that the boundaries were rocketed, rather than gradually increasing year by year. I think Gove's plan of English Bacc. is also going to have the same effect - the grades of the 2017 candidates will be disastrous.
Reply 73
Original post by pop101
A bit late, but I think it's the fact that the boundaries were rocketed, rather than gradually increasing year by year. I think Gove's plan of English Bacc. is also going to have the same effect - the grades of the 2017 candidates will be disastrous.

Swings and roundabouts really. Do it gradually and affect many times more people or do it all in one go and affect fewer more severely. Probably evens out about the same.
Reply 74
So annoyed about this. I got a B but under the old marks I would have had an A, now I have to resit. And actually the paper wasn't any easier, only the boundaries changed.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Eva_UK
So annoyed about this. I got a B but under the old marks I would have had an A, now I have to resit. And actually the paper wasn't any easier, only the boundaries changed.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

My friend is in the exact same situation :console: but he's getting a free remark and then a resit if it doesn't work.

Reply 76
Original post by OedipusTheKing
C'est la vie. I've just finished my A2 exams and I must have spent the majority of my time studying for philosophy. I ended up getting really good grades in my other subjects (english, classics), and a B in philosophy. Unfortunately effort doesn't always equal results, you just have to take it on the chin and move on - it really is a very sad fact about exams.

Life isn't fair lol, I'm gonna start revising hard for my AS Levels as I don't want to make the same mistake I did for GCSE
i dont really know if o, in the roghht place but i have just finished my gcse's and got Bs and As in english maths sciences humanities and languages but i dont know if i have qualified for the english baccloreate and as it was not on my results sheet i have no idea my teachers have told me that i do have it but there are no certificates or anything so if someone could give me some advice please it would be greatly appreciated

thank you
Reply 78
I disagree, I was someone who was badly involved in the increase of mark scheme. It was not the fact that i was not smart enough, it was that i was working towards a grade of which was changed without my knowledge, i was 5 marks off my C. And because of this i was not able to continue for AS levels, i had to take an entire year out to repeat my Maths and English, when i could have been doing my AS levels. It may not seem like a big deal to you but this means i have to do a higher English paper now, which has almost 3 times as much writing with the same time. I may not be able to do it.

It also means while i am here doing my GCSEs all of my friends are doing their AS's, when they go to University i cannot go with them. I will still be doing Alevel's, I just do not think that it is fair, Both me and my teacher believe that i did deserve to have my C. Now i may not be able to get it at all. Going to school everyday is now just a big reminder that i had failed last year, have you got any idea how that feels? Well it is horrible. If the grade boundaries weren't changed i would have a C, and be doing my AS's alongside with my friends. If i could have at least have been told about the raised grade boundaries, then i could have prepared for it, but we were told nothing.

Also my paper was refused to be remarked, just encase you would suggest that.

Latest

Trending

Trending