Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

i am currently wondering wether i should study in aston or not. I know they have a great employment rate, but there are different jobs out there, some high level, some just normal.
    My Question is, if a Aston Graduate can compete for a good job in a bank in the city with absolvents from Kings, Notts, Cambridge, LSE and so on?
    Or are they just in the second draw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by osmdian)
    Hello,

i am currently wondering wether i should study in aston or not. I know they have a great employment rate, but there are different jobs out there, some high level, some just normal.
    My Question is, if a Aston Graduate can compete for a good job in a bank in the city with absolvents from Kings, Notts, Cambridge, LSE and so on?
    Or are they just in the second draw?
    I would say second draw to be honest

ReputationRep:
    If we're talking IB - I think it would be more 3rd draw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElWilson)
    If we're talking IB - I think it would be more 3rd draw.
    Clearly. But the op stated just in a bank, and there are plenty of other jobs other than being a trader etc. But still you will find it hard to get one of the jobs with a degree from aston. Best bet would be to build up your network contacts in your year in industry to try and get you a job there after you graduate. You will probably even find it tough to get into competitive consultancy jobs with a degree from there.

ReputationRep:
    Hi There

I have to disagree with your above statement Aston Business School has a fabalous reputation amongst employers, I have personally seen graduates go into top company's.

Honestly I'm not just saying that but all of my friends who came off the program provided they had a 2.1 got amazing jobs

Nirmal

ReputationRep:
    Not many employers give you a job just because you went to a specific uni. Though there's things like networking that count. If you went to oxford or cambridge then there's loads of other people out there in senior jobs already who went there. That helps you when you send a cv. Other unis get people jobs because of the contacts they have with employers, and you talk to them while your on the course. But even cambridge/oxford graduates don't get top management jobs - everyone needs experience first. But they do get the jobs with the best prospects where they run into other people from the same unis. The uni reputation in itself isn't the only factor except maybe for the top 3 unis. And Aston? Well it's 3rd ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazzza)
    Not many employers give you a job just because you went to a specific uni. Though there's things like networking that count. If you went to oxford or cambridge then there's loads of other people out there in senior jobs already who went there. That helps you when you send a cv. Other unis get people jobs because of the contacts they have with employers, and you talk to them while your on the course. But even cambridge/oxford graduates don't get top management jobs - everyone needs experience first. But they do get the jobs with the best prospects where they run into other people from the same unis. The uni reputation in itself isn't the only factor except maybe for the top 3 unis. And Aston? Well it's 3rd ish.
    The city can be very very elitest, check out the investment banking pages - your unlikely to make it unless you are in a top 10 uni. Employers don't pick you because you went to the same uni as they used to, they pick you from that uni because they are the best and have the top students. Aston will find it hard to compete in the city with the likes of LSE, warwick, nottingham etc about

ReputationRep:
    Top 10 unis or top 10 Business unis??? and can you show me an example of an investment banking page that says this?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Take advice from ashley710 and ElWilson with a pinch of salt. They're both still at school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_mars_volta)
    Top 10 unis or top 10 Business unis??? and can you show me an example of an investment banking page that says this?

Cheers
    Top 10 unis. Look at the investment banking threads on TSR, such as those by cititrader - "the truth about top 5/10 unis" or something like that. And yes I am still at school, but have done research and do know a fair bit. Anne Auraque is just weird and hates people who make money etc so don't listen to her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashley710)
    Top 10 unis. Look at the investment banking threads on TSR, such as those by cititrader - "the truth about top 5/10 unis" or something like that. And yes I am still at school, but have done research and do know a fair bit. Anne Auraque is just weird and hates people who make money etc so don't listen to her
    Research? Your views are merely a synthesis of those within the Investment and Finance subforum. I doubt you have in depth knowledge of the recruitment process, or have any facts to back up your statement.
    You have no experience and as such it is misleading to listen your advice.

I like people making money, and I hope to make a great deal when I'm older.:p:

Yea but it just takes everyones income by degree and divides it by the number of people to give an average. Doesn't take into account what uni you went to, because clearly people in top 10 unis are going to probably get higher paying jobs (me ) compared to people who go to lesser universities. There is a list yes, but its not really very helpful, as i look to be earning 35k (not even including bonuses) when I graduate, which is much, much higher than anything on that list
    So you're still at school, but you're going to go to a top 10 uni and you're going to get a job as an investment banker? Can I borrow your crystal ball please ashley710?

Don't give out advice on something you have no experience in!

ReputationRep:
    Simple as: If you want to become a investment banker, Aston is Not the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anne Auraque)
    Research? Your views are merely a synthesis of those within the Investment and Finance subforum. I doubt you have in depth knowledge of the recruitment process, or have any facts to back up your statement.
    You have no experience and as such it is misleading to listen your advice.

I like people making money, and I hope to make a great deal when I'm older.:p:

So you're still at school, but you're going to go to a top 10 uni and you're going to get a job as an investment banker? Can I borrow your crystal ball please ashley710?

Don't give out advice on something you have no experience in!
    Hehe, I love the way you give no advice here, but criticize those who try to. If you clearly have so much "in depth knowledge" of the investment banking recruitment process, please, share it with us. You're still doing your A-levels, am I correct? I'd say someone who has "in-depth" knowledge of the system is one who's been through it...

And the comment about Ashley is hardly fair. Since you told someone that they were "a bully with a girl's name", I'm turning that on you - and I'll be taking anything you say with "a pinch of salt" too.

At the OP: unfortunately, you just can't tell what the draw will be with investment banking. The London colleges are preferred because the student will already be familiar with London, and because they're so close employers can do the "milk round" of getting graduates immediately after they graduate. Aston has got a damn good reputation though - I wouldn't write yourself off simply because you went there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dschingis)
    Hehe, I love the way you give no advice here, but criticize those who try to. If you clearly have so much "in depth knowledge" of the investment banking recruitment process, please, share it with us. You're still doing your A-levels, am I correct? I'd say someone who has "in-depth" knowledge of the system is one who's been through it...

And the comment about Ashley is hardly fair. Since you told someone that they were "a bully with a girl's name", I'm turning that on you - and I'll be taking anything you say with "a pinch of salt" too.
    Sorry, when did I claim to have in depth knowledge? I'm not giving any advice because I practice what I preach.

I am still doing my A-levels, what difference does that make?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, when did I claim to have in depth knowledge? I'm not giving any advice because I practice what I preach.

I am still doing my A-levels, what difference does that make?
    You criticized someone for not having "in-depth" knowledge. It suggested that you did have "in-depth" knowledge. And I assumed you did, and that you were unwilling to share it with us, added to which is the fact that you couldn't possibly have such "in-depth" knowledge of the investment banking recruitment process because you're still doing A-levels (ie. you are not an investment banker, and therefore wouldn't know, let alone know if there even is an in-depth knowledge to be had). I see now that you practice what you preach - and I apologise. It's still damn unfair on Ashley to be slated like that though.

ReputationRep:
    Research? So you're still at school, but you're going to go to a top 10 uni and you're going to get a job as an investment banker? Can I borrow your crystal ball please ashley710?
    I've got an offer from Nottingham, a top 10 university in the eyes of employers in the city and I am very unlikely to not meet that offer. People who go to these top 10 univesities are probably going to get the better jobs, fact, whether you like it or not. I never said what job I would be looking for in this thread, I am torn between Investment Banking and Consultancy - the salary figure I gave is an example of what a top consultancy company (Bains&Co) pays its graduates, and is it wrong to have goals in life? And about you saying you love money, I would like to refer to the following quotes by you - “Does that make them bad people? Talk about judging books by covers. You forget that not everybody is motivated by money? Some people don't want to work in an office, and don't fancy the idea of going to uni.”
    “There are many more things to aim for in life than to have a large pay packet.”
    “It's called social responsibility. Can you not see the greater problems? Many people find is "disgusting" that some people accrue such a great deal of money without helping others who cannot help themselves. Surely you recognise the importance of charity?”
    Sounds to me like you have a general dislike for people who make money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashley710)
    I've got an offer from Nottingham, a top 10 university in the eyes of employers in the city and I am very unlikely to not meet that offer. People who go to these top 10 univesities are probably going to get the better jobs, fact, whether you like it or not. I never said what job I would be looking for in this thread, I am torn between Investment Banking and Consultancy - the salary figure I gave is an example of what a top consultancy company (Bains&Co) pays its graduates, and is it wrong to have goals in life? And about you saying you love money, I would like to refer to the following quotes by you - “Does that make them bad people? Talk about judging books by covers. You forget that not everybody is motivated by money? Some people don't want to work in an office, and don't fancy the idea of going to uni.”
    “There are many more things to aim for in life than to have a large pay packet.”
    “It's called social responsibility. Can you not see the greater problems? Many people find is "disgusting" that some people accrue such a great deal of money without helping others who cannot help themselves. Surely you recognise the importance of charity?”
    Sounds to me like you have a general dislike for people who make money?
    Fair play. It definitely is good to have goals, and I like that ambition. We need more people like you.

I do like money, those quotes were in response to Cititrader saying that builders were "scum". There are more things to life than a big salary, it's not the be all and end all.

I just found the idea of accumulating masses of money that you will never be able to spend a little strange when there are so many problems in the world. I wasn't advocating some kind of quaker lifestyle! Far from it, I'd love to drive an Aston and own a house in every European country, but I just thought a little compassion was neccesary.

ReputationRep:
    The university and course will get you the interview - your skills etc. will get you the job.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play. It definitely is good to have goals, and I like that ambition. We need more people like you.

I do like money, those quotes were in response to Cititrader saying that builders were "scum". There are more things to life than a big salary, it's not the be all and end all.

I just found the idea of accumulating masses of money that you will never be able to spend a little strange when there are so many problems in the world. I wasn't advocating some kind of quaker lifestyle! Far from it, I'd love to drive an Aston and own a house in every European country, but I just thought a little compassion was neccesary.
    Ok, well I think we can call a truce about now. Has been a fair bit of unnecessary tension between us recently which should probably stop lol

ReputationRep:
    I think that an applicant from any decent uni, such as Aston can compete with applicants from the big london uni's, Warwicks and Nottinghams etc, for jobs in the city. I think it depends on what experience and skills you have, not just what qualifications and 'prestige' you have.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2006

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.