Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

What's the difference between a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and the compound water Watch

ReputationRep:
    My science homework is to find out the difference between a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and the compound water. I then have to explain in terms of how the particles are arranged. I should include key words, such as: atoms, elements, compounds, bond and separate. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not giving you the answer. I'm not that nice.

But, you may get bonus points if you can squeeze the terms 'homogenous' and 'hetrogenous'. Just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    So you thought you'd get someone that has already past their GCSEs to do it for you, clever.

edit: I don't understand why people are so against this statement at least tell me why.

ReputationRep:
    hydrogen is made of H+ ions
    oxygen is made of O2- ions
    but h2O is made of H+ ions and OH- ions

ReputationRep:
    If you can't have at least an initial go at answering that question then I would assume you've paid absolutely no attention in class.

ReputationRep:
    under normal conditions exists as a H2 molecule which is two hydrogen atoms bonded together. under normal conditions Oxygen exists as O2 which is two oxygen atom bonded together. These are completely separate from each other. A water Molecule is a compound made of two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom bonded together.

Pretty simple explanation I assume is fine for GCSE level and uses all your key words. You should probably pay me.

ReputationRep:
    In a water/hydrogen mixture, all the water and hydrogen atoms have unprotected, pre-marital sex with each other. God is very angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    under normal conditions exists as a H2 molecule which is two hydrogen atoms bonded together. under normal conditions Oxygen exists as O2 which is two oxygen atom bonded together. These are completely separate from each other. A water Molecule is a compound made of two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom bonded together.

Pretty simple explanation I assume is fine for GCSE level and uses all your key words. You should probably pay me.
    Am I the only one that thinks that could ruin his education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    In a water/hydrogen mixture, all the water and hydrogen atoms have unprotected, pre-marital sex with each other. God is very angry.
    Yet pure water is considered homogenous. I hear he's not keen on that either.

Goes to show you never can win with religion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamil4)
    hydrogen is made of H+ ions
    oxygen is made of O2- ions
    but h2O is made of H+ ions and OH- ions
    Water in not ionic. It is made from hydrogen and oxygen atoms, not ions.

ReputationRep:
    Get 2 1 litre bottles. In one, fill with a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. In another, fill with tap water. Put a lit splint in both. You will definitely find out the difference.

P.S. Don't actually do this. It will explode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)

thank you very much, much appreciated and i will elaborate on this!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paradoct)
    Water in not ionic. It is made from hydrogen and oxygen atoms, not ions.
    thank you very much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dennerers)
    Am I the only one that thinks that could ruin his education.
    thats not my responsibility

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    thats not my responsibility
    So your just in it for the money :eek:
    Well, i will make sure this child get the education he needs to become a successful, something, in a given profession.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dennerers)
    So your just in it for the money :eek:
    Well, i will make sure this child get the education he needs to become a successful, something, in a given profession.
    well you are a far better person than me. I salute you

ReputationRep:
    Dennerers, it's a she , not a he.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R2497)
    Dennerres, it's a she , not a he.
    And how as i to know?

ReputationRep:
    you mean *was :L

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.