Much Ado About Nothing Watch

StripeyGirl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I've got this past paper question to do but don't know how to answer it :confused:

'In the refined and civilised world of Messina, anxiety, fear and mistrust lurk just beneath the surface.' Focusing on Act IV, Scene I and drawing on your knowledge of plot, character and language, discuss this view of the play. [45 marks]

How do I get started answering this? Any ideas?
coursework
Report 12 years ago
Need more help? You could get help with this question at Coursework.Info
findingfantasy
Report 12 years ago
Oh god, i am doing MAAN, i dont kno how to answer that. *Panics*
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 12 years ago
I am also doing Much Ado but I am doing the coursework and I am getting no where fast
sidekick
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's a nightmare of a question! Are you doing it for GCSE?
That's when I did it - am sooo glad I did because the film ignited my love for Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson :suith: Plus the film is sooo helpful, I loved it. That question is insanity though, you have my sympathies!
(sorry, not v helpful post )
Mrs Rickman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ooo another Emma Thompson fan

I did MAAN for cswk last year so my knowledge of the play is a bit fuzzy, but i'll try.

Maybe start by splitting the quotation into two, first exploring why and why not Messina can be considered 'refined and civilised' (Clear social structure, treatment of women, why Shakespeare set the play in a foreign location), and then link that to the 'mistrust' shown to Hero, issues of apearance and reality that are demonstarted throught he language, Claudio's/Leonato's reaction. Maybe then link that to the mistrust of Dogberry who actually uncovers the truth. But then consider the subplot of Beatrice/Benedick who clearly trust each other deeply. Also, i can't think of a specific example of 'fear' in the play. So the exotic location seems to serve as a catalyst rather than a contrast to the misunderstandings, particularly regarding Hero, which occur, away from the refines of English society. We're always told to spend approx 1/3 of an essay on the scene referred to in the question, and 2/3 on the text in general (50/50 if two sections are mentioned).

sidekick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mrs Rickman)
ooo another Emma Thompson fan
hell yeah! :five:

I'm guessing you're an alan rickman fan also? (sorry, going a bit off topic ) mmm I also love a bit of alan :suith:
Mrs Rickman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It helps that they're in a lot of the same movies! Sense and Sensibility :love:
sidekick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mrs Rickman)
It helps that they're in a lot of the same movies! Sense and Sensibility :love:
TOTALLY :suith: :suith: :suith: LOVE that film
looby_lou
Report 12 years ago
Im doing this text for my IB and i think my teacher is killing my love of Shakespeare. My question is to compare the mental habits of the two couples oh the fun of it. The film was good and really does help. Thank god for cinema lol
sidekick
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by looby_lou)
Im doing this text for my IB and i think my teacher is killing my love of Shakespeare. My question is to compare the mental habits of the two couples oh the fun of it. The film was good and really does help. Thank god for cinema lol
Totally, the film is a lifesaver. Which I think was the idea behind the making of it. Praise to Ken Branagh :suith:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.46%
No (613)
72.54%

Watched Threads