The Student Room Group

Set theory and induction

Prove that for any two sets A and B, (AUB)' = A' intersects B'
I have done that.

Prove by induction that the complement of the union of any number of sets is equal to the intersection of the complements.
What? I don't know how to do induction with something so abstract.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
(AUBUC)'=((AUB)UC)'

Or write out the sets as AiA_i
Reply 2
It works the same as for less abstract concepts. What the question wants you to do is:

1. Prove that this holds for two sets. You have done that.
2. Assume that this holds for n sets, i.e. that (A1 u A2 u ... u An)' = A1' intsc A2' intsc ... An', and conclude that it holds for n+1 sets (Hint: Use part 1 for this.).

You have then shown, by induction, that it holds for any number of sets.
Reply 3
Original post by Y__
It works the same as for less abstract concepts. What the question wants you to do is:

1. Prove that this holds for two sets. You have done that.
2. Assume that this holds for n sets, i.e. that (A1 u A2 u ... u An)' = A1' intsc A2' intsc ... An', and conclude that it holds for n+1 sets (Hint: Use part 1 for this.).

You have then shown, by induction, that it holds for any number of sets.

I used the Venn diagram for the first part, so surely I shouldn't use that for an infinite number of sets?
Reply 4
I don't think "I drew a Venn diagram" is an acceptable solution for the first part. Also, you're not dealing with an infinite number of sets, why do you think so?
Reply 5
Original post by Y__
I don't think "I drew a Venn diagram" is an acceptable solution for the first part. Also, you're not dealing with an infinite number of sets, why do you think so?

What I meant was highlighting the parts that each expression represents on a Venn diagram. But if you have a better solution, please do share it.
Reply 6
Here is the solution.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest