Shocked! A Cam. graduate said she hasn't known St. Andrews Uni.!!!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
John
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just now I talked with an English women who graduated from Cambridge Uni. 10 years ago and she told me she's never heard of St. Andrews University. She said she only knew Edinburgh and Glascow are both the best unis. in the scotland but no St. Andrews. She even asked me, 'Is it a college? where is it?' :confused:

Oh, my God! As I am an oversea student, I have no idea about the unis. in the UK. Actually, I am gonna study at St. Andrews this August, so I wanna know, 'Is St. Andrews Uni. as unfamous in the UK as she said?' What is the best uni. in the Scotland then?
rah
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by John)
Just now I talked with an English women who graduated from Cambridge Uni. 10 years ago and she told me she's never heard of St. Andrews University. She said she only knew Edinburgh and Glascow are both the best unis. in the scotland but no St. Andrews. She even asked me, 'Is it a college? where is it?' :confused:

Oh, my God! As I am an oversea student, I have no idea about the unis. in the UK. Actually, I am gonna study at St. Andrews this August, so I wanna know, 'Is St. Andrews Uni. as unfamous in the UK as she said?' What is the best uni. in the Scotland then?
its only become famous in recent years because prince william went there, many years ago it was the best place in scotland to go but edinburgh and glasgow are both far better than it now

edinburgh is easily the best place in scotland to go
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by John)

i have to know that i have been very ignorant about universities a few years back - to be honest i didnt care about universities, careers etc ---And i didnt know about st andrews. I knew about oxbridge, and ucl lse etc.

but as time goes by things such as the prince going to st andrews does make st andrews more heard of. The fact that the uni is in scotland wont make it particularly more well known. However, now st andrews is in the top 10 uk universities, and is a very nice place to live in , and almost everyone knows about it. I t must be the best uni in scotland
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by John)

St Andrews has been well reputed for a long time it was a good uni when I made my choices and that was before Prince William even thought of going to uni there.
Mioniel
Report 16 years ago
St. Andrews is a fine university with a good reputation and most people have heard of it. I know someone who went there and she loved every minute of it. Don't worry about this woman - she's just ignorant!
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by John)

Best Uni in scotland? Edinburgh by far. I didni't know St. Andrews existed till Prince William went there and it was splashed all over the news.
Mrs Morris
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
Best Uni in scotland? Edinburgh by far. I didni't know St. Andrews existed till Prince William went there and it was splashed all over the news.
Absolute lie. Sorry but it is!

We've been number one in Scotland for at least the last couple of years and will probably continue to be. We have excellent research and teaching scores are high. Huge international population so you won't feel left out!
It's an ace place to be, and a degree from there is worth a lot. I love it!
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mrs Morris)
Absolute lie. Sorry but it is!

We've been number one in Scotland for at least the last couple of years and will probably continue to be. We have excellent research and teaching scores are high. Huge international population so you won't feel left out!
It's an ace place to be, and a degree from there is worth a lot. I love it!
St Andrews was no1 in Scotland when I went to uni in 98 and as far as i am aware has been ever since.
babyboo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well im hopefully going to st andrews if i get the grades and im sure i'll be happy!!!!
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
However, now st andrews is in the top 10 uk universities
It is?
babyboo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
It is?
joint 11th according to the times...joint 9th for economics.
Marie55
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I would also disagree that Edinburgh is the best uni. in Scotland though it is debatable. It certainly has it's good points and is very different from St. A.'s.
The Times league table (which is a fairly good guide) has placed St. Andrews above Edinburgh for at least the last 2 years I think.
I can definitely reassure you that it has a better reputation than Glasgow. I applied to and found out about both. Have also visited both so I have a good basis for my opinion.
Whatever, hope you like it. ;-)
Bristol uni
Report 16 years ago
ahhh St Andrews i have a good friend at Andy Pandy's, She said theres nothing to do in Andy pandy as there is NOTHING there!!!! she said theres 3 streets in the centre (sorry St Andrews!)!! humm i think one was Market street i cant remember the other two but she told me that one of the HIGHLIGHTS of the year was the KK presession lol (AKA the Kate Kennedy Club "an all Male club") WOW!!!

But one thing she did say was that they someone has a house party every 3-4 weeks (Wicked)
Its almost like a Bad version of Bath! for atmosphere, but is in the middle of nowhere...
But then i suppose some people like the Calm atmosphere.... drinking Tea and Coffeein the morning and having a bite for Brunch, lunch and maybe if one wants to be abit exciting in the evening!! have a G&T!! EVERYDAY!! of first year!! (WOW) oh but i suppose theres always Dundee for the more Adventureous!!

Anybody who has St Andrews on there mind will probably have Durham on their list too (if not well yes thats another dull Town but i suppose its not to far south of Newcastle so not all is lost)

The only perk to being in a Quiet University Village/Town is that one will not attract the local (anti-student un-educated lot) that are ever so present in Bristol!!! But then Bristol has life after 11 and the University isnt the worst in the World!! but like St Andrews our Wonderful "students Union" was also built in the 60's...

Oh and of course its Bloody COLD in Scotland

HAve a nice day!!!

Just another scum of the earth student! Having a rant!!
Marie55
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So many people seem to be worried about the cold! I live even further north than the university town in question (yes, it is possible ;-)) and the cold isn't that bad, really. Ok, occassionally it is rather chilly in winter but then u get snow. I'd much prefer to be in snowy Scotland than in the cold rain in England.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i have to say that i would rather live in england than scotland
Bristol uni
Report 16 years ago
hey i went to "snowy Scotland" on the one weekend it snowed loads in Bristol and there wasnt so much as a snowball in Edinburah!!
Acaila
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Scotland isn't that cold. And I live about 3 hours further north than St. Andrews. Some snow is good fun . Plus if you're into such things, you could go skiing or snowboarding while it's pouring down in England.

Anyhoo, St. Andrews tends to have the best reputation academically of the Scottish unis. Glasgow and Edinburgh tend to be reasonably ordinary choices that a lot of not hugely gifted people from my school go to. Whereas the 5 A students and dux medallists go to St Andrews. However if you're hugely interested in pub crawling and clubbing, Glasgow or Edinburgh would be a better university for you. And of course Prince William's at St A's now, followed by bunches of snobs and rahs so I hear. But still, the university is hailed as the best in Scotland and is way ahead in the league tables.
Mrs Morris
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
... bunches of snobs and rahs so I hear.
FYI - we call them 'yahs' in St Andrews! They're v. funny!

And Bristol Uni person - despite what you may have heard, our beautiful little town is not quite as dead as you described. There are many houseparties, at least one a night if you know where to look and don't mind gatecrashing(!) and lots of bars, and the Union all with the benefit of Scotland's late-licensing laws! Plus a huge number of balls - the aforementioned KK are praticularly excellent when it comes to hosting these.

Yes there are three main streets (North Street, Market Street and South Street) but that isn't the entire town, it's actually bigger than you think, it's just that most of the uni buildings are on or around the three streets, and of course the benefit is that you haven't got far to walk and if you live in my Hall which is on North Street, you can roll out of bed (literally) five minutes before lectures.
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
both st andrews and edinburgh are great universities to study at. i personally picked edinburgh because i think that theres an advantage being in a big city for work experience, convenience etc and it does the doctorate i want to apply for. i can't knock st andrews though, i loved the atmosphere and academically the uni is great so i'm putting it as my insurance choice.
rts
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
st. andrews is the most boring place i have ever been to.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads