Rust Watch

Malik
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
My wheel disc drums (hope that's right technical phrase) are getting slightly rusty. Any advice on how to prevent and remove the rust thats currently there? I was thinking of jus brushing the drum with motoroil or something but dont want to do anything stupid incase theres supposed to be friction there or something.

Cheers
OMGWTF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You could paint them, popular with chav's though. Wirebrush and some time?
Malik
Rep:
?
Chavs actually paint the whole drum? :eek: I mean I got my calipers sprayed red, hope thats not what you ment. Thanks for tip on wirebrush though quite a long job, but ill make sure its done.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you talking about the discs? ie the front brakes? They're not drums, drums are on the back brakes. A little rust is fine, it will come off after a good stop or two. Putting motor oil on the discs is a serious mistake. I don't how long it would take to come off.

Come on, did you actually paint your calipers? I hope you bought the car like that and didn't do it yourself.
Malik
Rep:
?
(Original post by snmichaels)
Come on, did you actually paint your calipers? I hope you bought the car like that and didn't do it yourself.
Yea I was refering to the discs good thing I checked on here regarding motoroil. As for the calipers the place that put my alloys on did it for me. Its on a Black Mk4 golf with replica 20th golf Anniversary alloys on it. It doesnt look tacky at all!
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can't believe you were even contemplating putting oil near your brakes...you do know how they work right? Friction caused by the brake pads acting upon the metal discs causes the car to slow...oil is a lubricant and if this got near the brakes they would not work!! I thought that was common sense, obviously not.

Don't worry about rust on brakes, they are all protected from it and it comes of during normal road use.
snmichaels
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The red calipers sound permissable on that car.

I usually find that rust comes from sitting up for a while and that normal road use knocks it off.
Malik
Rep:
?
Alrite thanks for info everyone, I shall be reppin you all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1375)
79.53%
Leave (354)
20.47%

Watched Threads