Math HL Watch

IBLinnea
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
where are yall at? and where should we be at for the different scores?
ESBay
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
7, i don't get your second question
Lipton
Report 12 years ago
I guess a 5.. studying hard in the next 3 weeks to go to a possible 6.
IBLinnea
I mean like on paper 1,2,3 etc...what should we be happy with for the different marks. Like what are people getting currently on the different papers? I could use some motivation..
HMSChocolate
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'll get a 5. I think. Probably not a 6. Paper 2 will kill me a if I manage a 6 on Paper 1 (not very likely) P2 will pull me down.
IBLinnea
so what is that in percent like are people currently getting like 50 60 70 percent etc
Lipton
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by IBLinnea)
so what is that in percent like are people currently getting like 50 60 70 percent etc
it doesnt matter what ppl are getting now.
sereture
Report 12 years ago
Well, if this makes you feel better, so far I have only done a single paper 1 and one paper 2 (both of which we haven't gotten back yet) so I have no clue where I stand (doubt they were great though) So no worries...On the other hand, you probably shouldn't take our Math HL class as a good example - we're just starting our option now and won't get through, much less have time to review :eek:
mike007
Report 12 years ago
Well, we're starting our option too...

Our teacher said he won't miss us...

We said we won't miss him either

Oh, by the way... whichj option have you chosen?? if this is the one about infinite series and differential equations then what book do you use?? Our teacher got us some strange book that has nuttin to do with IB maths :/
Peter The Magnificient
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I do that option, and basically you need to draw from a great varieties of sources.
mike007
Report 12 years ago
Are there any good problem sets available on the web? The IB problems are quite "specific" in that there are many sub-points and proofs - and I need some such problems to solve. the problem is that (as far as I know) the 2006 syllabus is different from the previous and something changed within options so it is hard to find relevant resources...
Lipton
Report 12 years ago
For all of you guys taking Maths HL: What did you think of the specimen paper? - Easy, -Hard, - Fair, - Not easy, not hard etc.. You can mention a paper specifically or all three together

I asked my teacher how similiar is a specimen from an exam and she said it's very similar!(She's been doing IB for over 30yrs... )

In my opinion if May06 exam is like specimen I could get a 6 and who knows a 7? However, If we get an exam like May05 I'll be lucky to get a 4...

Any comments?
Lipton
Report 12 years ago
Anyone?
aluakz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i did paper 1 specimen and i found it too easy in comparison to the past papers. my ib maths teacher (who is absolutely great) also tells that specimens generally tend to be slightly easier than the real papers. but this year we are "ib lab rats" for paper 3, so... who knows. good luck everyone
jcdoughty06
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lipton)
For all of you guys taking Maths HL: What did you think of the specimen paper? - Easy, -Hard, - Fair, - Not easy, not hard etc.. You can mention a paper specifically or all three together

I asked my teacher how similiar is a specimen from an exam and she said it's very similar!(She's been doing IB for over 30yrs... )

In my opinion if May06 exam is like specimen I could get a 6 and who knows a 7? However, If we get an exam like May05 I'll be lucky to get a 4...

Any comments?

In general, I didnt think the specimen paper was too bad. Personally, i found P1 quite easy and I'm hoping the real one is similar! P2 wasnt too bad either, except the last problem about series and inductions kinda lost me a little. Of the entire exam, I think P3 was the hardest. Im doing series and differential equations...and i found the Maclaurin series on P3 to be hard. If the real exam is like this, then i think i'll end up getting a 6
IBLinnea
yeah i liked the specimen, problem is it sounds like everyone liked the specimen...which isnt good..heh...
Im doing the stats option which is only calc and formula, basically all you have to be able to do is figure out which formula to use. Ive seen some good stuff on the series and DE option in the books "how to ace calculus" and "how to ace the rest of calculus" if anyone is interested? might be a little late for this year but whatever
sereture
Report 12 years ago
whats a specimen paper? :eek: Are we supposed to know about these?
aluakz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
specimen paper is what ib releases once in a while to show poor s***ers what to expect on a real exam. i noticed that they do so when there are changes in the syllabus. however, (also from my own experience) specimens tend to make us set out hopes high. overall, if you have past exams, they seem to be slightly more useful.

and no, there is no obligation for you to do the specimens. your teacher can choose to give them to you, or not. but don't sweat about them. it's all gonna be fine

take care
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (63)
29.44%
No - I got the required grades (122)
57.01%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (29)
13.55%

Watched Threads