What mark do you think my Kite Runner essay would get?

Watch
Off To The Races
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys! I'm studying AQA English Literature B and am studying The Kite Runner as my main book (which I will answer my Section A questions on). I was wondering if you guys could possibly give me some feedback on my essay and what mark (out of 21) you think it would get. Cheers!

Aspects of Narrative: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, Chapter One
Write about the way Hosseini tells the story in Chapter One (21 Marks)

In the opening chapter of Hosseini’s 2003 novel The Kite Runner, a reflective tone is present in the narrative and is used to plant the seeds of three prominent themes in the novel: guilt, betrayal and atonement. The chapter both starts and ends with the currently unnamed Amir alluding to a yet-unknown event which ‘made [him] what [he is] today’. Despite providing specific details such as the ‘when’ (‘winter of 1975’), and the ‘where’ (‘behind a crumbling mud wall’), Hosseini, through the first-person perspective of Amir, neglects to provide the ‘what’ thus shrouding the chapter in a purposeful ambiguity no doubt used to entice the reader. The details that Hosseini is willing to confide are provided with a precision which works to emphasise the character-shaping significance of the foreshadowed event.

With hindsight one can see that Hosseini uses subtle juxtapositions in the chapter to accentuate the extent of Amir’s guilt. The idyllic and utopian descriptions of San Francisco (e.g. ‘[the sun] sparkled on the water’, ‘[the boats were] propelled by a crisp breeze’) contrast notably with the feelings of self-disgust and remorse which consume Amir – feelings so strong that they ultimately force him to leave the freedom and ‘utopia’ of the city he now calls ‘home’ and return to the turmoil and instability of Afghanistan.

Alongside Amir, the character of Rahim Khan is introduced by Hosseini. Characterised in a prophet-like manner, Rahim is used in the opening chapter by Hosseini as a plot device. Through his phone call to Amir, Rahim acts as the catalyst in forcing Amir to come to terms with his past and his immorality – ‘I knew it wasn’t just Rahim Khan on the line. It was my past of unatoned sins’. Rahim is used as a medium to connect Amir with the past he has tried to bury and forces him into the realisation that he has been ‘peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years’.

Hosseini’s inclusion of the kites in the opening chapter is greatly symbolic of the friendship shared between Amir and Hassan before the event in the ‘deserted alley’. The expressive and animated movement of the kites (‘they danced above the trees’) invoke a sense of nostalgia within Amir. Amir describes the kites with the simile ‘like a pair of eyes’ which, considering how they fly over Amir in San Francisco, carries connotations of judgement – Amir’s past judging his present perhaps, making the kites another device deployed by Hosseini and used to coerce Amir into fully realising the necessity of atonement.

To conclude, Hosseini tells the story by constructing some of the key themes through an enigmatic narration. Through the use of such things as Rahim Khan’s character, and the symbolic kites, Hosseini works to instil a sense of purpose within Amir: his need to atone. An integral part of the novel is Amir’s search for a ‘way to be good again’ which Hosseini provides solid foundations for in this opening chapter.
darrencoxon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd mark this as a pretty high A grade. Any of my students would be happy with this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
SleepySheep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did the Kite Runner at A Level too. You literally just need to throw the word 'redemption' into your essay five thousand times to get an A*.
shantelle999
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Omg... how is it possible to write using such difficult vocabulary, I mean this as compliment, really... I could never write such high quality essay
loisannis17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing this as well, and as long as you find as many AO2s as possible, then you will get the marks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (15)
14.56%
I need help researching courses (8)
7.77%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
5.83%
I need help with my personal statement (42)
40.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
24.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.94%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (5)
4.85%

Watched Threads