The Student Room Group

Decisions, Decisions...

To cut the story short, Ive been rejected from four Unis, Two in Leeds, Uni of Sheffeild, and Staffordshire.

I got two conditionals -- Huddersfield (Need to get DMM), and Lancashire although its a Combined Honours rather than Sports Journalism which I wanted to do.

Im just not sure what to do, I think I will accept Huddersfield as my firm, and not sure what to do about my insurance.

Not surew what to do at all...

Also, how can I apply for another Uni, as there's a course at Hallam Im keen on but can I apply via UCAS Track?

Thanks
Reply 1
If you want to apply to a course at Hallam, you have to withdraw your current offers and move on to the next phase of the UCAS admissions process, namely UCAS Extra. Check that the course is available (by searching on the UCAS website, and then CALLING the university to confirm it), and if you're sure you want it, call UCAS up to withdraw your other applications. You can then apply for the course via UCAS Extra.
Reply 2
Well, I got a letter from UCAS asking me to confirm my options.

Im in 2 minds as to what to do, I got a conditonal from Hudders, I think if I nail down I could achieve those grades but not really sure. On the other hand, Im keen on applying for Journo Studies @ Hallam but I have to turn down Hudders as its my only option really and I dont want to be in a situation where I find myself turning down Hudders, going for Hallam and they say, 'Sorry, you cant get in' for whatever reason.

Advice!!
Reply 3
At this point of time, your decisiveness is your best solution. You should stick with whatever you decide and never look back. I don't know anything about the courses or universities to offer any valuable specifics.
Reply 4
Sorry to drag up this post but thought to do this rather start another thread.

I was wondering, is there a chance that I could turn down an offer from Lancashire and apply for a place at Hallam, if a replys good, then I can put Hallam as firm and Hudders as Insurance. Is this possible somehow?

Ive got to reply to my offers on 5th June.

Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 5
Aky786UK
Sorry to drag up this post but thought to do this rather start another thread.

I was wondering, is there a chance that I could turn down an offer from Lancashire and apply for a place at Hallam, if a replys good, then I can put Hallam as firm and Hudders as Insurance. Is this possible somehow?

Ive got to reply to my offers on 5th June.

Thanks for any help :smile:

Nope, you cannot do that. The only way you can apply for a place at Hallam is via UCAS Extra, which means you have to withdraw all your current university applications. If you do that and Hallam offers you a place, then it automatically becomes your firm choice without an insurance. If you fail to meet the offer requirements on results day, you move on to UCAS Clearing.
Reply 6
Knogle
Nope, you cannot do that. The only way you can apply for a place at Hallam is via UCAS Extra, which means you have to withdraw all your current university applications. If you do that and Hallam offers you a place, then it automatically becomes your firm choice without an insurance. If you fail to meet the offer requirements on results day, you move on to UCAS Clearing.

Ahh bugger!

This seems to get tougher every day, I could turn down the options but its a risk incase I get turned down by Hallam.

May ring UCAS up, see if they can help me advise.
Reply 7
Im in a toughie now, but if I turn down my two options. Then would it immediatly confirm a new slot for me to apply @t a Uni or will UCAS send a letter to me?

BTW, to get into Huddersfield, I need to get DMM. ATM, Having totalled up my scores so far (3-4 assignments remaining) Ive got a MPP? Anybody realistically think I could achieve DMM?

Also, can I turn down my Lancs offer and not yet decide on Huddersfield one yet?
Reply 8
Aky786UK
Im in a toughie now, but if I turn down my two options. Then would it immediatly confirm a new slot for me to apply @t a Uni or will UCAS send a letter to me?

BTW, to get into Huddersfield, I need to get DMM. ATM, Having totalled up my scores so far (3-4 assignments remaining) Ive got a MPP? Anybody realistically think I could achieve DMM?

Also, can I turn down my Lancs offer and not yet decide on Huddersfield one yet?

As soon as you turn down your 2 offers, you will be eligile for UCAS Track, and can apply for a university. UCAS will know this and will update you with relevant documents by post.

I'm not sure what kinda qualifications you're referring to - DMM? These aren't 'A' levels, right?

When you make a decision, you make them all at one time. So you cannot decline one and leave the other hanging. Why would you want to do that anyway?
Reply 9
Knogle
As soon as you turn down your 2 offers, you will be eligile for UCAS Track, and can apply for a university. UCAS will know this and will update you with relevant documents by post.

I'm not sure what kinda qualifications you're referring to - DMM? These aren't 'A' levels, right?

When you make a decision, you make them all at one time. So you cannot decline one and leave the other hanging. Why would you want to do that anyway?

Apologies, didnt make myself clear. Im doing BTEC Diploma in Media, and Huddersfield want me to get DMM to get entered.

I thought to decline one as Im not sure what to do over Huddersfield so I thought if I turn one down, then the other I can think of.

If I was to turn down both and I went to Hallam and got rejected, is there any chance that I could change my decision?

Thank you for your help, sorry to keep nagging back.
Reply 10
Aky786UK
Apologies, didnt make myself clear. Im doing BTEC Diploma in Media, and Huddersfield want me to get DMM to get entered.

I thought to decline one as Im not sure what to do over Huddersfield so I thought if I turn one down, then the other I can think of.

If I was to turn down both and I went to Hallam and got rejected, is there any chance that I could change my decision?

Thank you for your help, sorry to keep nagging back.

Once you've entered the Extra process, there's no turning back.

Have you spoken to Hallam and asked if they can provisionally make you an offer outside the UCAS process? That way the amount of risk you're exposing yourself to is significantly lower.
Reply 11
I finally plucked up the courage and turned down Huddersfield/Lancs and applied at Hallam.

I applied on 5th of May, and have yet had no reply. When I rang them up before, they said they had places available but no reply as such. How long should I wait?
Reply 12
Aky786UK
I finally plucked up the courage and turned down Huddersfield/Lancs and applied at Hallam.

I applied on 5th of May, and have yet had no reply. When I rang them up before, they said they had places available but no reply as such. How long should I wait?

Call them every 3 days, and wait up to 21 days unless they tell you that they will be making you an offer by then.

Latest

Trending

Trending