Hawthorns for Freshers?? Watch

jonnyboy123
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Spoke to the Accommodation office today and they said that Hawthorn's mainly for first years. Anybody know whats its like. Bet the Keele residents LOVE that!! Noisy freshers on their doorstep!
jonnyboy123
Just read the post above proply! Sounds like Hawthorns too far out--but if it is just for first years at least it should be lively!
littletinker
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jonnyboy123)
Just read the post above proply! Sounds like Hawthorns too far out--but if it is just for first years at least it should be lively!
Hawthorns really does have a cracking atmosphere, especially when it's sunny, makes the walk onto campus much more enjoyable!
jonnyboy123
(Original post by littletinker)
Hawthorns really does have a cracking atmosphere, especially when it's sunny, makes the walk onto campus much more enjoyable!

Yeah but how about when its p.....ing down!! And that walk back when ur drunk! LOL!

iS it mainly Ist years there?
littletinker
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd say that the majority of people in the blocks A-P are 1st years, and then the flats in blocks T-Z are mainly first and third years, with a couple of second years thrown in for good measure!
rugby_gal
Report 12 years ago
Didn't live there in 1st year myself but allot of my friends did and overall they loved it (it was just walking back from the union at night they didnt enjoy!) From what I've seen Hawthorns has a good community feel and everyone seems to know each other.

The flats (T-Z) are mainly 3rd years but the rest are mainly freshers.

Lindsay Halls is another hall mainly dominated by freshers too and is allot closer to the union, thats where I lived and loved it!
Lillybut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what bout lindsay court- is that dominated by third or first years??? Im scared of being in a hall with 3rd yrs is all
rugby_gal
Report 12 years ago
Think its pretty much all 1st years, I did know quite a few people in there and from what they said it seemed to be just freshers.

Most people are totally skint by the time they reach 3rd year and can't afford Lindsay Court! Plus most 3rd years prefer to live in flats or on a corridor of about 10 with people they already know.
jonnyboy123
Do the peeps at Hawthorns botha with the Union or go the Syned instead?
Are there any 37 weeks at Hawthorns?
suzie_h
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I have 37 week accomm. I'd say more people go to Templar as its cheaper and depending on what block you live in nearer. Plus templar has pool and footy tables, plus more drink offers.
jonnyboy123
From one Brummie to anotha, thanx! Hawthorns sounds o.k---I'm just lazy!! Rather be nearer to the lecture rooms and the Union but won't be too bad if I end up in Hawthorns by the sound of it.
suzie_h
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea you will be fine especially as you're a bloke. I have to share 1 shower between 26 other women, but the guys in my block get 1 between 8. Plus as there are more people around there's always something going on. As for the walking do what i do and make friends with someone who has a car lol.
jonnyboy123
Yeah, nice one!! Is there a block you'd says best/worst?
suzie_h
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Only been in blocks A,C, G & K of Hawthorns, A has 35 people and K has 27 and cant remember the others. They are both the same in terms of the rooms and kitchens/bathrooms just less competition for cupboard space and stuff. Although both C & G are all guys blocks so that's something to bear in mind.
jonnyboy123
Def want mixed. So I'll ask---don't suppose it'l do much good tho!
suzie_h
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
On the accomm forms last year there was a question asking if you wanted to live in single or mixed sex. It doesn't always work though as the people in the all guy blocks picked mixed sex, but is worth a go.
jonnyboy123
I know someone went Keele and didn't get ANY of her choices! Now Thats just crap! IS there some miserable git in the accom place that does it just to p**s peeps off!
suzie_h
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
To an extent it depends when you send the letter back, i know plently of people that wanted ensuite but ended up with a basin. It also depends whether the person had keele as a firm, insurance or got through clearing, although at leastyou are guaranteed accomm for the 1st year.
jonnyboy123
She sent it back straight away cos she wanted 37 weeks ensuite, but cos of visitors at Easter ya can't have them! Keele was her firm aswell.
Lunar_Scorpion
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jonnyboy123)
I know someone went Keele and didn't get ANY of her choices! Now Thats just crap! IS there some miserable git in the accom place that does it just to p**s peeps off!
I didn't even get on campus - I only found out when they sent the pack with a letter asking for my clearing form (when I'd already sent it several days ago) containing an application form for College Court. I actually had a Firm Conditional to do Single Honours Mathematics but they wouldn't let me on it with an E (Coventry would let me do Mathematical Sciences though) so I ended up doing Science Foundation Year - they say I didn't get treated as a normal Clearing student, but I'm not entirely convinced... What really takes the piss is I moved from a house about 4 miles away from Staffs and about 20 from Keele to less than a mile away from Staffs and at least 4 miles away from Keele!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (36)
97.3%
No (1)
2.7%

Watched Threads