Uncontrollable movement whilst listening to or playing music? Watch

ginger_biscuits
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I was wondering whether this happens to anyone else. It has happened to me for as long as I can remember. My muscles will go incredibly tense, and I will start to get shaking or small twitches in my legs or my neck. If I'm singing, I grip my music so tight that my knuckles go white. I can feel my heart beating faster and faster, and I become very light-headed.
It only happens when I am completely emotionally involved with the music; it happens more often when i am listening to music live or actually performing it myself. It's definitely not nerves or anything like that, and tends to start when I hear a paticulatly beautiful combination of notes, or sometimes notes that are very loud or high.
It is very weird. Any explanation? Anyone else have this happen to them?
tekno
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you gots da groove
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You ****ing love music?

I get somewhat involuntary movements sometimes, usually in the form of headbanging, but sometimes also air drumming. Or even both :O

No, but really - music often triggers restless legs for me.
jerseymackem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Every time I listen to Bohemian Rhapsody, the headbang is essential (even when I'm driving)

Also the drums on In The Air Tonight
Lovefoxxx_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When my boyfriend gets into his guitar playing it looks a bit... :coma: It's a tad awkward.
alexmagpie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm afraid... you have dance fever.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)
When my boyfriend gets into his guitar playing it looks a bit... :coma: It's a tad awkward.
Does he sit hunched over the guitar with a braindead expression on his face?

That's probably how most guitarists actually look when they want to look like this:
Lovefoxxx_93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
Does he sit hunched over the guitar with a braindead expression on his face?
No, it's just that's the closest emoticon I could find to "looks-like-he's-enjoying-himself-too-much-if-you-know-what-i-mean". The actual sexface one :sexface: looks a bit too pervy.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)
No, it's just that's the closest emoticon I could find to "looks-like-he's-enjoying-himself-too-much-if-you-know-what-i-mean". The actual sexface one :sexface: looks a bit too pervy.
Oh right. Like BB King?
concubine
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
No, but really - music often triggers restless legs for me.

This.
Austin5733
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have a similar experience except my body becomes incredibly relaxed and it’s not so much emotionally involved but if I am 100% focused on the music ie. my eyes are closed and I’m sitting up straight then I start involuntarily swinging to the music. It only occurs in my upper body like my shoulders my neck and my head, but never a head banging kind of thing just a swaying
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I never get this. I sometimes wish I did.
Robbobisthecob
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know this is like 7 years late. But I have the same thing. When the music is live I tend to twitch a lot and I'm not sure why either. Its been happening since forever. Whenever I'd see musicals or dance shows cause I was doing that stuff as a kid, I would also twitch. I liked to think that I loved dancing and music so much that I would twitch when I wasn't dancing and watching someone else do it. But as I fell out of dancing and into playing classical music on the piano and clarinet (I play other instruments such as the Alto sax, guitar, ukulele, kalimba, but I'm not too attached to those instruments) I'd watch more concerts and I would be constantly twitching. But for me it wasn't one spot, it would happen everywhere that it was happening. As a child mostly my legs and arms would twitch but now its switched to my whole body. I don't think it is like something serious cause I've had it my whole life but it still would be cool to know why this happens. Also, I'm 17 so my whole life really isn't that long. Another thing to do with music is I'm constantly moving my fingers as if I'm playing the piano and I do it on any kind of surface, sometimes I don't mean to but it just happens and it's always random. Especially when I'm listening to my own music that isn't classical I still do the air piano thing. I just feel like if someone saw me doing this they would think its weird.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (75)
18.52%
Labour (165)
40.74%
Liberal Democrats (86)
21.23%
Green Party (30)
7.41%
Brexit Party (12)
2.96%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.48%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.23%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)