Potential Royal Marines? Watch

KiloGolf
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Just thought I'd start a thread for anybody planning on joining the Royal Marines either as a Recruit or an Officer.

I've had my heart set on a career as an officer in the RM for a few years now and I plan to join when I leave university. Hopefully I'll be successful in getting a bursary for uni but I'll have to pass a POC and AIB sometime next year for that. I've just recovered from an injury but hopefully I can get my fitness back and start some serious training. Pullups are killing me! :argh: I'll get there though lol.

Basically this thread is for anybody to comment on the RM, selection, training, fitness requirements or anything RM related I would be interested to hear on anybodys experience with the PRMC or even the POC if they've undergone them.
djmm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I left the RN as a rate in June last year, and hoping to rejoin as an Officer. The RM doesn't appeal (too much fiz ). I have some mates who are training/ in-service with the RM. Remember to make sure those pull ups are forad facing!

Best of luck with Univ and the Marines.
Hashshashin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm applying for the Jan/Feb 2007 intake at RMR Bristol, while I'm in sixth form doing my A levels. If I pass the PRC and recruit training I hope to carry on the reserves through uni, and then apply for officer entry afterwards.

Yes, I have got my whole life planned out!
KiloGolf
I'm hoping to join the RMR aswell while im in uni. It'll be RMR Scotland for me. I've been phoning them up constantly but I've still not had any info on my next step. I passed the PJFT last month with a time of 10:20 ( a shocking time ) but I was recovering from an injury and hadn't ran for a about a month. Just out of curiousity how much physical training you are you doing at the moment Hashshashin?
Hashshashin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KiloGolf)
Just out of curiousity how much physical training you are you doing at the moment Hashshashin?
Sod all at the moment, my GCSEs are imminent. I'm gonna really get back into it in the summer though, and then just try to maintain a high standard until after Christmas.
KiloGolf
Thats what I did last year. All phys stopped so that I could study for me highers . It was boring as hell but it paid off
Danoz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thinking bout going for it. reasonably fit now, though i'll need to put some more physical in to it i reckon. Possibly join after A levels, though uni is always there to do beforehand. i just need to decide when to join
KiloGolf
I decided to join after uni so I could have something to fall back on incase it all goes belly up. You could think about joining the RMR while at uni to get some experience.
Shéamais
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Potential Royal Marines?
Don't you mean "Potential Naked Roll Mat Wrestlers?"
Hashshashin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by DPM)
Don't you mean "Potential Naked Roll Mat Wrestlers?"
If you say so, same thing to me!
KiloGolf
What's wrong with naked roll mat wrestling may I ask?:confused:
Shéamais
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Nothing really, team bonding isn't it?
djmm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
haha 'bonding'.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Between this and MFAT, I've had enough.

We need a new joke.
djmm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Uh oh. You're for it now!
larry182
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
does any one know the process for getting in the marines. i know there is a three day selection course you need to pass but does any one know how often these prmcs occur?basically do you need to be as fit as possible before you apply or do you still have a few months to carry on getting into shape?

help much appreciated
KiloGolf
I believe the PRMC courses are held pretty regularly. Not sure how often theya are though. For the PRMC you should be as fit as possible. Upper body strength comes into it quite alot but you also need to work on your cardio aswell for endurance.
larry182
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ive not done a timed 3mile run yet but i did 12.3 on the bleep test last week i know thats stil not a good enough but if there was say a two month wait for the prmc then i could obviously imrove by then. as for upper body the press ups are fine and the sit up its the bloody pull ups im struggling on!
Hashshashin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I believe the PRMC courses are held pretty regularly. Not sure how often they are though.
Once a week/once every two weeks, I believe. They're certainly very regular.
djmm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Make sure the pull ups are forward facing. Otherwise, when you go to do them (after being used to doing arms facing inward) you'll find them immensely difficult; there's a big difference in the muscles used by each technique.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1619)
79.13%
Leave (427)
20.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed