did anyone just take GCSE music??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
vky
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
did anyone just take GCSE music? coz i thought that it was sooo hard, it was nothing like any of the mock papers we were given, we had 2 describe all this stuff that i have no idea about...and wot the hell if the origins of blues music??!
XXXNICEGUYXXX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hey. yea i also just took that exam and i agree totally with u... the previous mock exam papers were split into ful lcourse and short course. hahah. and urrrgh i ****ed up that blues question as well... ****ing 8 marks for the origin of bluse on a LISTENING paper! how the hell can they expect us to study that damn homos.! oh well... i need like 50% in that exam and i've got an A hahahaha
Ben
vky
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
how come you only need to get 50%?? my teacher is rubbish aswell, we didnt know any of the stuff that was gona be on the paper until about 2 weeks before the exam
XXXNICEGUYXXX
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
my coursework is pretty damn good... and my performances as well.... they're all pretty close to full marks... and one is
hehehehehe
i'm guessing that 75% overall is an A...ill be very happy getting an A...
one of the probs is that edexcel never produced a real syllabus and our teacher didn't teach us the right stuff
oh well... thats enough music for my life! not doing it for As defnately heheh
Ben
kat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hi!
im doing AS music and on 1 of our last lessons last week we did some of your exam for practice! and i thought it was really hard and i got sooo much wrong, but i wouldnt worry because last year when i took the music paper, i thought i had messed up big time but i still managed to get an A*, so i dont know what i actually got in the paper but im sure i did very badly because i got full marks in coursework and practicals too so i think i only needed to get about 40% to get an A*!
XXXNICEGUYXXX
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well kat... i have to hand it to ya...
that is one of hte most reassuaring things i've heard in a long time
hahahahaha
i think i have done better than 50%... but barely it was a really tough paper and i'm getting a copy of it so that i can get my piano teacher to get me the full model answers... czu we dont have the mark scheme yet... my practicals are all like 90% and i think my coursework is somewhere at 96% if i'm not mistaken... then again our teacher is really **** and i doubt that our marks will stand! hahaha
all i can do is pray that i get the a* on the 21st...
Ben
kat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
im sure you have done fine! my teacher is hardly the best in the world and the i had last year was dreadful! does music mean alot to you then? are you planning to study it in the future?
kat
XXXNICEGUYXXX
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
music does mean something to me... i love listening to music... all types from classical to heavy metal... but i guess that is different... because i don't feel that i have that special feeling towards music that makes me wanna learn about it... its just to entertain me... furtheremore i started the gcse course with absolutely no music theory background... it is a huge disadvantage as i'm like the onli one in my class who has that disadvantage... others have like grade 6-8 theory and the exam would be a breeze for them...
i do really enjoy performing and the course has allowed me to fulfil one of like my dreams... to produce a cd
i was the vocalist on a heavy metal song that i composed and i had to create a whole new voice for myself which is like really deep rigid... don't know how better to explain it. hehe if u wanna listen to it i could send it to u... i'm quite proud of it hahaha
Bennn
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
edexcel really are rubbish at music but what is A level like? i dont really understand how you can grade a composition becoz theyre all individual arent they? also i dont get how you can compare performing pieces. A piano piece and a flute piece for example they are completly different. Comparing and then grading them is just worng! the way its marked is completly unfair!
XXXNICEGUYXXX
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i don't totally agree with you... u have to have a certain standard b4 u enter the course... for hte performances, you are given a grade out of 10... that grade is then multiplied by how difficult that piece ur playing is... it can either be multiplied by 1,2,3........ the top grade is 30. if i'm not mistaken the grade is based on different aspects such as harmony, rhythm, tempo etc.
u have to present a score so that the examiner-teacher can compare ur playing with how it is supposed to sound... they should of course be qualified enough to determin that...
in my opinion, it isn't edexcel that is ****e, its the teachers... the course is hard for teachers to balance though, with coursework and practicals adding up to 60%... therefore it is logical to spend more time on that, but teachers often overstep that.
in my case, alot of coursework was to be done over holidays which worked fine i gues... the problem was just that this being the first year where our school did Edexcel, the teacher didn't know how or what exactly to teach... she had 3 past papers. we did one during the course, one as a year 10 exam and one as a mock exam. can't blame the teacher for that since she couldn't obtain any others...
oh well i'm tired haha
Ben
kat
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A-Level music is great, well i think so anyway because i enjoy all aspects of music, you are right all compositions are different, but you can tell which ones are good from those which are not so good, it depends on how well your ideas work within the peice and how complex the harmonies, textures, instruments etc are. For example those with many instruments and different meloic and harmonic devices which work is better than a compostion written for pne instrument with no harmonic, melodic variation! and the performance grade is first based on hoe complex the peice of music is and then how well you play it, firstly looking at accuracy to the score and then your music ability and tone etc...
Yea sure Ben if want to send me your compostion id love to hear it!
XXXNICEGUYXXX
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yea thats true kat... i was actually given special consideration for the performance and recorded the piece in a real studio which was pretty damn expensive! haha... ill see if i can send it to u... i have msn do ya?
Ben
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (161)
15.56%
Uncertainty around my education (168)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (99)
9.57%
Isolating with family (71)
6.86%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.77%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.7%
Loneliness (102)
9.86%
Financial worries (46)
4.44%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.15%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.7%

Watched Threads