Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just been doin differentiation. U know the quotient rule, is it necessary to learn? cos u can just use the chain rule. Or do they sometimes ask questions that make u use the quotient rule (edexcel)?

ReputationRep:
    I think you do need the quotient rule. It's easy to remember eventually. They won't directly ask for the quotient rule in the exam but you'll probably need it.

ReputationRep:
    the quotient rule just follows on from the product rule, but with y=u.v^-1 instead of y=u.v

they wouldn't ask you in the exam to specifically use the quotient rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyte)
    Just been doin differentiation. U know the quotient rule, is it necessary to learn? cos u can just use the chain rule. Or do they sometimes ask questions that make u use the quotient rule (edexcel)?
    nah, like elpaw says, you can just use the product rule.

but in some cases it is a lot easier to use the quotient rule!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyte)
    if i was you i would learn it...it makes some questions a lot easier thasn if you tried to use the product rule...its easy to learn anyways so really it shouldn't be a problem!

ReputationRep:
    remember, vd comes first. (vd - you know - venerial disease... :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    I find it easy on me to remember the product rule as d/dx(uv) = vu'+uv' (whereas the textbooks put uv' first) because it then makes the quotient rule easier to remember: d/dx(u/v)= (vu'-uv')/v²...

Some song from somewhere(follows the tune of "when you're happy and you know it.."):

It's the derivative of the top times the bottom, (clap clap)
    Minus the derivative of the bottom times the top,
    If you put it all together over the bottom squared,
    Then you have the quotient rule!
    Don't ask... whatever the story is, it's probably double embaressing. But can you tell me what the chain rule is?

ReputationRep:
    I never both learning it, I just always brought the denominator up and put it to the power of negative one, then did the chain rule on that bracket and the product rule on the 2 brackets together. I've never seen on an exam paper them requesting you to use a certain calculus technique.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.