Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Last edited by Janusz Kowalcyzk; 2 years ago
frasercee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nerd434)
As those of you who have sat/are sitting Higher History will know, you are expected to follow a fairly formulaic structure whilst writing essays.

After you have written your introduction and mentioned the main argument that you will be linking of all the other factors to, you are expected to write a paragraph on the isolated factor first (the factor mentioned in the question).

My question is, can I link my main argument into the isolated factor even although I haven't mentioned it? I would be mentioning it in my second paragraph.

Example:

Question: How far can it be argued that the activities of the Klu Klux Klan were the most important obstacle to achievement of civil rights for Black people up to 1941?

My main argument is that the 'Jim Crows' were the most significant obstacle and I will be linking all the other factors to the Jim Crow laws. However, after my introduction I had to write a paragraph on my isolated factor; the Klu Klux Klan. Can I link the 'Jim Crow' laws in with the Klu Klux Klan paragraph even although I haven't mentioned them yet?

Also, do I link my other factors to my main argument - Jim Crow laws? Or do I link them to the Klu Klux Klan?

Hi, I sat higher last year and got an A.
It is a fairly formulaic marking scheme, but they aren't pedantic about thee xact way the essay is written. as long as you do have genuine argument/analysis in your essay, it will do well.

It's obviously good to link things in with your main argument but in this case, I wouldn't, because if paragraph 1 is ku klux klan
then you should take a new paragraph for jim crows, because you havent introduced and talked about them properly yet.

this is quite a difficult question actually :L in the end it is up to you, just link each paragraph to the question.
maybe you could go on in your jim crow paragraph and discuss why they are more significant than the KKK?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (15)
31.91%
No (32)
68.09%

Watched Threads