Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just surfing the web and I'm concidering getting a mini fridge to take to uni. This got me thinking though, I'll be taking my dual screen desktop computer along with my sound system along with the obvious necessities. Well my question is this, how often do you have to move all your stuff out. I mean take everything out. Obviously I'll need to move my stuff all in at the start of the year and out at the end. Will I need to move out/in any more than that?

Edit: Just read it through and it reads as if I'm drunk.. well I'm not... just a little sleep deprived. BTW I'm on about 1st year in halls. and yes I am aware how ridiculously small or "cozy" halls of residence are. Thanks for any help anyway.

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It depends on your uni and the accomodation there. Some, you can leave your stuff over the holidays, some you can't. But you might find that mini fridges aren't allowed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    good post, i was speaking to my mom about the same thing last week. i too intend to take a mini fridge to keep with me in my room. my concern was whether they'd be allowed or not but then i was thinking, why wouldn't they be allowed? and even if they weren't it wouldn't be hard to get one in without them knowing would it?

regards
    --marty
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xavier2k3)
    good post, i was speaking to my mom about the same thing last week. i too intend to take a mini fridge to keep with me in my room. my concern was whether they'd be allowed or not but then i was thinking, why wouldn't they be allowed? and even if they weren't it wouldn't be hard to get one in without them knowing would it?

regards
    --marty
    A lot of people do take them anyway, but everyone I've known with one has decided it's too noisy and not been able to use it anyway. So before you decide all these plans to hid it, try sleeping with it in your room one night. (and if you can stand it, ask other people as the walls may be thin and thus other people may be able to hear it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    A lot of people do take them anyway, but everyone I've known with one has decided it's too noisy and not been able to use it anyway.
    Didn't think about the noise. Thats something that could really bug me! Looking at unis website for more info bout moving out and rules and regulations etc.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you can get away with sneaking them into halls, you will have inspections through the year. Our halls had them twice, they just came and checked the windows hadn't been tampered with (you could only open them so far), and to see if it was all above board. They even went into my flatmates rooms when they were out and took away a halogen lamp, and candles and stuff and just left a note saying what had been taken (even though I had an oil burner and they didn't say anything...).

A guy in the next flat from us had an actual fridge in his room, not a tall boy, but it was a beast!! God knows how he managed to hide that from the wardens!

ReputationRep:
    btw, I have that same fridge in my room. Husky CoolCube? Its pretty quiet, so ok to sleep with. I dont know if I will need it for uni tho..:p:

ReputationRep:
    Ok this is for cardiff in their terms and conditions:

The Resident shall: "not bring large items of furniture or equipment into the premises... and/or the following items: heating or cooking appliances, slow cookers, deep fat fryers and chip pans, Fridges, freezers or fridge freezers

Probly give a fridge a miss for now, when I get there I'll decide. May turn out I don't really need one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvle)
    Ok this is for cardiff in their terms and conditions:

The Resident shall: "not bring large items of furniture or equipment into the premises... and/or the following items: heating or cooking appliances, slow cookers, deep fat fryers and chip pans, Fridges, freezers or fridge freezers

Probly give a fridge a miss for now, when I get there I'll decide. May turn out I don't really need one.
    If you're just cooling beer and wine, stick it out the window in a plastic bag. Works a treat every time, even if your entire block thinks you're a pikey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    If you're just cooling beer and wine, stick it out the window in a plastic bag. Works a treat every time, even if your entire block thinks you're a pikey.
    genious!

ReputationRep:
    Do alot of people smoke in there rooms

ReputationRep:
    They might only mean one of those huge fridges you have at home in your kitchen that you're not allowed. They may allow little fridges... it seems absurd that they wouldn't allow you to.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite common for you not to be allowed to take one.....of any size. Mostly due to to H&S regs (don't ask me which one specifically because I don't know). If you go to your chosen uni website it should have a downloadable copy of the Rules of Residence which will say what's allowed and what isn't.

Generally if your contract is for the full year (mines around 39 weeks) you can leave your junk in your room over holidays etc.

ReputationRep:
    You can have little fridges that plug into your USB adapter on your PC. Admittedly, they're small, only big enough for a four pack or so, but pretty cool if you just wanna store... well, a four pack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    You can have little fridges that plug into your USB adapter on your PC. Admittedly, they're small, only big enough for a four pack or so, but pretty cool if you just wanna store... well, a four pack.
    Or Cheese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalparadox)
    Or Cheese
    Or AIR!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, there is little chance that you will need a fridge in your room anyway. One of my flatmates has one (because she has a severe allergy to nuts) but the rest of us have a shelf each in the fridge, and its more than enough for a weeks worth of food (along with cupboard and freezer space obviously!).
    Plus, here at Cardiff you aren't allowed one unless you have prior permission (due to allergies etc) because they use up ****loads of electricity and really aren't necessary. We have a couple of inspections a year, and they'd probably take it off you.

ReputationRep:
    I have one and it's way too noisy leave it on when i'm sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    A lot of people do take them anyway, but everyone I've known with one has decided it's too noisy and not been able to use it anyway. So before you decide all these plans to hid it, try sleeping with it in your room one night. (and if you can stand it, ask other people as the walls may be thin and thus other people may be able to hear it)
    Thanks for the feedback. I've got one in my room at the moment and it's not too noisy at all, i can barely hear it. It serves the purpose really well as well as it has a hot and a cold switch.

regards
    --marty
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by xavier2k3)
    Thanks for the feedback. I've got one in my room at the moment and it's not too noisy at all, i can barely hear it. It serves the purpose really well as well as it has a hot and a cold switch.

regards
    --marty
    If it goes hot and cold, it's probably a cooler rather than a fridge, and you shouldn't keep food in it.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.