Want more information about this university?

PGCE Early Years University of Hull, Scarborough campus

Watch
Hayleygigantor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Heeey !

Is anyone doing the PGCE Early Years at Scarborough campus this year??
LaurenJ101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey I have an interview in March. Nerves really hitting me now. Was there anything about a presentation on the information you got? Just seen other people talking about it for Hull Primary but they weren't early years. Just made me worry a bit lol
pca05KAT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there,

I had my interview in Jan, did the skills tests and have found out that I've got in for the intake in September.

They don't require that the prospective students do presentations anymore at the Scarborough Campus, PGCE 3-7. (They did during the 2012 intake) However, I know they have to do a presentation to a larger group at the Hull Campus (PGCE 5-11).

This is what I had to do:

9AM- Presentation about the course given by the staff.
English, Maths and Non-Cognitive Assessment.
University tour.
12-ish was lunch.
PM- School Observation and interview with the Head and a uni staff member. We finished really late so be prepared for a long day.
Take snacks lol.

Good Luck!
LaurenJ101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well done for getting in!

I've been practicing for the skills test. Are the test you do at the interview of that level or are they more basic? Just not too sure what to be revising.

Thanks for your help
pca05KAT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The numeracy test on the interview day was okay, just make sure to revise long division, long multiplation, percentages and decimals. The numeracy skills test is harder and there is less time to answer the questions. However, the Skills Test was far easier than the online practice tests (they are so hard imo).

I would recommend that you get the 'How to Pass the QTS Skills Tests' books of you haven't got them. It helped me to work out what kind of questions that they generally ask and then I practised a ton of examples.

The literacy test on interview day is basically just questions about the article they gave us and questions on how we analysed the article (opinions etc). The Literacy Skills Test is different as it involves spellings; grammar, puNctuation and comprehension.

Hope that helps!
RMedley
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello! I also have an interview for the early years course in March so feeling very nervous. Trying to get some preparation done early but I'm a bit confused about the non-cognitive assessment as it doesn't really mention it in the information I received, can anyone tell me what that is about? Also I'm trying to revise for the maths test so I have been looking on bitesize at the GCSE level stuff, do I need to revise algebra at all as well as the areas mentioned in the previous post? Thanks for any help you can give!!
LaurenJ101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RMedley)
Hello! I also have an interview for the early years course in March so feeling very nervous. Trying to get some preparation done early but I'm a bit confused about the non-cognitive assessment as it doesn't really mention it in the information I received, can anyone tell me what that is about? Also I'm trying to revise for the maths test so I have been looking on bitesize at the GCSE level stuff, do I need to revise algebra at all as well as the areas mentioned in the previous post? Thanks for any help you can give!!
I'm really not sure. I've just been doing the gcse practice papers that I found only and gcse bitesize as well. I'm so nervous as well! Not to sure about the non-cognitive assessment either but if I find anything out I'll let you know
RMedley
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you!!
beckyjzw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
RMedley: the non-cognitive assessment is some kind of psychological test with questions like 'do you work well under pressure'. It's a 1-5 rating/checklist thing, I wouldn't worry about it!
I had my interview on the 31st January, and now have an offer! Nice to meet you all
RMedley
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah I see!! Thanks for letting me know! I was worried it was something I needed to prepare for and I didn't know what it was! What did you look at for issues in early years education? So far I have been concentrating on the new EYFS framework but I was wondering if there was anything else I should look at?!
beckyjzw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did stuff like EYFS framework such as the aims/targets/6 areas; child safety; the curriculum for Y1/2; learning through play, that kind of stuff. Sorry that's not more helpful, it was such a long time ago and I'm not even sure you'll have the same questions! Good luck for it
Liriae
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I had my interview in January and got an offer for a place if I passed my QTS tests, which I have now done.

I think the most important thing to practise was converting decimals, fractions and percentages. Is anyone else definitely headed to Scarborough in September?
RMedley
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello! I've been offered a place for September which I accepted so I will be seeing you there! Have you managed to sort out a placement to do the extra 10 days classroom experience?
fayenatalie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

I also will be there in September, well done for passing your QTS tests! :-)
RMedley
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, does anyone know if studying an Early Years PGCE prevents us from applying for jobs in Key Stage 2 in the future? I'm worried studying the Early Years course will limit my job prospects. Thanks
fayenatalie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

On the interview day they said that it doesn't limit it as you can teach all areas of primary.
Faye
LaurenJ101
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anyone going to this pre course day?
fayenatalie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Im away but they said they are making other arrangements for me :-/ hope i dont miss to much ! lol.
Liriae
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm definitely going for the precourse day. Does anyone know what they're doing about accommodation yet? I emailed and they said to let them know when I wanted to come and have a look at what there is.
beckyjzw
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've found a room in the private sector, I tried to share the site I got it from on here but the moderators didn't like it! But it's the one Hull recommend anyway. The General Primary people already have a facebook group set up for next year, I just thought it was a nice idea if anyone wanted to join? https://www.facebook.com/groups/516007261768168/
xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (928)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads