Turn on thread page Beta

Reducing racism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    I am a Jew. What would you like to ask?
    As a jew, bearing in mind what happened to your people in central and eastern europe 50 odd years ago, do you think it's wize to ignore racism and let it grow?

ReputationRep:
    Reduce racism through education. We need to break down barriers instead of ignoring groups and letting them do what they want and we do what we want. Racism only evolved through ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would never ignore any racism. I'd stick up for anybody persecuted by it. Especially my friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    As a jew, bearing in mind what happened to your people in central and eastern europe 50 odd years ago, do you think it's wize to ignore racism and let it grow?
    No it's not, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Personally, I would never ignore any racism. I'd stick up for anybody persecuted by it. Especially my friends.
    Do you think you'd have "stuck up" for your jewish neighbors in German occupied Warsaw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    No it's not, obviously.
    That was my point.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you'd have "stuck up" for your jewish neighbors in German occupied Warsaw?
    The problem in Nazi Europe was the terror state. People could be killed themselves for standing up to the Nazis.

And because of that, I don't have a clue, I'm sorry. I'd stick up for people who are the target of racism in modern times, but I don't know about anything on that kind of scale where there is no limit to the lengths they could go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    The problem in Nazi Europe was the terror state. People could be killed themselves for standing up to the Nazis.

And because of that, I don't have a clue, I'm sorry. I'd stick up for people who are the target of racism in modern times, but I don't know about anything on that kind of scale where there is no limit to the lengths they could go to.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perry)
    Hello, I have always thought that the best solution in reducing in racism, is just not to care about it, on part of the possible victim. If you dont care then it dont affect you, so less would be reported to the police. This is with verbal abuse only, however if your physically getting attacked then you should do something about it.

What do you think

"Losers go home, winners go home and **** the prom queen?"
    Yeah but ignoring the problem will not make it go away. I grew up with it, and most of the time I did ignore it, it never stopped it, i still got called names. My attitude has changed because of that, if someone is racist towards me I will say something to them to show them they are being racist. You can't just sweep it under the bed and pretend it doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    we can't change the past. it wasn't our generation that caused the holocaust, so we shouldn't take responsobility for that. but maybe by acting like thefish_uk we can prevent history from repeating itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    Yeah but ignoring the problem will not make it go away. I grew up with it, and most of the time I did ignore it, it never stopped it, i still got called names. My attitude has changed because of that, if someone is racist towards me I will say something to them to show them they are being racist. You can't just sweep it under the bed and pretend it doesn't exist.
    What part of PA are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    we can't change the past. it wasn't our generation that caused the holocaust, so we shouldn't take responsobility for that. but maybe by acting like thefish_uk we can prevent history from repeating itself.
    Maybe. We'll see.

ReputationRep:
    What part of PA are you from?
    The middle.

i will admit i am a bit racist, if your going to be immature about it and start sayign " OMG RACIST " then you can go to hell.

the reason why im a bit racist? here comes the life story:
    i was quite happily eating a cheeseburger at mcdonalds in late afternoon with two friends when a group of whites/blacks/packistans came up to us... it wasnt very nice as they were talking amongst themselves in close proximity to us and kept on looking in our direction... one 14 year old started to raise his foot to my head, intimidation more than anything... so i motioned to my mates to get the **** out of here..... there were about 8,9,10 of them and only 3 of us....

it was fine until the 14/15 year old decided to throw a punch at me, at that point resulting in a fight with him.. i was 17, had the advantage of age but he had his friends to back up.... he also looked a lot older

i hate violence, im not violent, but this guy however getting his ass kicked ( thanks to my motocross ) , had him down, until suddenly this packistan/light coloured black hit me in the side of the head knocking me off balance and this other *****y kid holding onto me and pushing me ( unfair )

i managed to get out, ran my fastest down the stairs running at full speed knockign into people with mcdonalds trays, food going everywhere and people that were in the way to get out and they weer STILL RUNNING AFTER ME YES STILL

what happened in the end? it was caught on camera and they caught the two that were involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    The middle.
    I used to live in the burgh (well just outside on PA28 actually)

ReputationRep:
    But you can't feel a certain way to every member of that ethnic group. Just because a few people on that ethnic group started with you it doesn't mean to say they're all like that.

ReputationRep:
    personally, i believe the only way that racism can be reduced is that people have respect for one another. even if u enforce laws and rules on people, it wont change the way they feel about it in the long run. its only a short term solution in my opinion.

thankfully, even with being from a pretty mixed background, ive never really encountered any racism from anyone, and i hope that i never do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa2)
    i will admit i am a bit racist, if your going to be immature about it and start sayign " OMG RACIST " then you can go to hell.

the reason why im a bit racist? here comes the life story:
    i was quite happily eating a cheeseburger at mcdonalds in late afternoon with two friends when a group of whites/blacks/packistans came up to us... it wasnt very nice as they were talking amongst themselves in close proximity to us and kept on looking in our direction... one 14 year old started to raise his foot to my head, intimidation more than anything... so i motioned to my mates to get the **** out of here..... there were about 8,9,10 of them and only 3 of us....

it was fine until the 14/15 year old decided to throw a punch at me, at that point resulting in a fight with him.. i was 17, had the advantage of age but he had his friends to back up.... he also looked a lot older

i hate violence, im not violent, but this guy however getting his ass kicked ( thanks to my motocross ) , had him down, until suddenly this packistan/light coloured black hit me in the side of the head knocking me off balance and this other *****y kid holding onto me and pushing me ( unfair )

i managed to get out, ran my fastest down the stairs running at full speed knockign into people with mcdonalds trays, food going everywhere and people that were in the way to get out and they weer STILL RUNNING AFTER ME YES STILL

what happened in the end? it was caught on camera and they caught the two that were involved
    And this is the fault of a whole race? :rolleyes: Please, you have to be smarter than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    But you can't feel a certain way to every member of that ethnic group. Just because a few people on that ethnic group started with you it doesn't mean to say they're all like that.
    That's true. But first impressions count.

ReputationRep:
    I used to live in the burgh (well just outside on PA28 actually)
    Kewl, I'm about 3 hrs away from pittsburgh myself.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.