Why should you not admit that you were liable for an accident? Watch

Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Say the other car was parked in a perfectly legal place and you literally just drive right into the back of their car.

How can you not admit that you are liable? You can't really say 'I'm not liable, you shouldn't have parked there'.

Is it just because if you say it's your fault, the insurance won't pay out?
Azzura
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your insurance is there so that if you have an accident - no matter whose fault they will pay for the damage so long as you're fully comp etc. The reason that you don't admit that it was your fault is that if there was a proper accident, eg a head on crash you may say it's your fault when it's not, heat of the moment thing.
In the incident that you suggested you would clearly be in the blame, but sometimes its not as clear cut, so just in case, NEVER admit fault and NEVER EVER sign anything the other party give you!
kumori
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
just to point out, i can't remember which insurance it was. but about 2-3 years ago my mums car insurance came with a key fob that stated to never say you was in the wrong, and to call them and let the other people speak to them not yourself.
Emma:-)
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Azzura)
Your insurance is there so that if you have an accident - no matter whose fault they will pay for the damage so long as you're fully comp etc. The reason that you don't admit that it was your fault is that if there was a proper accident, eg a head on crash you may say it's your fault when it's not, heat of the moment thing.
In the incident that you suggested you would clearly be in the blame, but sometimes its not as clear cut, so just in case, NEVER admit fault and NEVER EVER sign anything the other party give you!
I agree.
There are situations like that that are clear cut- where you (or the other person) are obviously to blame. But in general, you dont admit you are to blame. Basically because you could say it was your fault in the heat of the moment or something, even if it isnt your fault. If in doubt about whos fault it is, let the insurance know all the details and let them decide.
fruit_n_veg
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure most insurance policy terms state that you mustn't admit blame as insurer will definitely have to pay out, whereas without it they might argue the toss with the other insurer without the admission. It is, however, worth admitting you think you're to blame when it's reported to your insurer. It's up to them whether they think it's worth contesting or not.
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They say never to admit liability - last year someone drove into the back of my mum's car at traffic lights. Usually a clear-cut scenario, it's the fault of the driver behind. His insurance company advised he claim my mum rolled back and he wasn't liable (complete lie), though they got cold feet after a few solicitor's letters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (228)
22.69%
The paper was reasonable (453)
45.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (181)
18.01%
It was TERRIBLE (143)
14.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise