for British people?
Spunky
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Tortle)
for British people?
I don't think there are specific scholarships per se, however, there's a multitude of grants, etc. which are available to all undergraduate I believe, there definitely shouldn't be monetary problems if you want to attend, Oxford has one of the best financial aid programs in the country, if not the best.
Isaiah Berlin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There are still scholarships. If you get a distinction in prelims/mods or do exceptionally well in collections, you become a scholar. The value of that varies between colleges, from a Scholars' Dinner to hundreds of pounds off battles.

There are also generally prizes, either for university competitions, or based on performance in particular projects, be it essay competitions or practicals in the lab.
meef cheese
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What about for entering undergraduates? ie. those who haven't yet sat any university exams?
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At the risk of incurring "let-people-use google" wrath..

There are some university website pages that deal with some of these topics.
Getting Ahead, Guide to Financial Support at Oxford, 2006 entry
Discusses grants (government & oxford) Casey mentioned. & other sources of funding.

University Scholarships & Prizes, 2005 supplement Which has them by department, some are open to undergrads.
But possibly exam prizes might not be included - my subject normally has Gibbs Prizes for exam performance too that can't see listed here.

& a few college websites seem to have a pages on the details of Scholarships/Prizes they offer. As Isaiah said - benefits of being a "Scholar" varies with college & some have "Exhibitioners" too, which are an intermediate between Commoner & Scholar. Added advantage of college prizes along with exam/lab course-related prizes is often not doing anything specific above & beyond doing your course or having to apply for them but getting a random cheques in your pidge..

Academic scholarships for students who haven't come up or taken any exams yet though I doubt.. they wouldn't have much to base them on?
Hope this might help.
meef cheese
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Academic scholarships for students who haven't come up or taken any exams yet though I doubt.. they wouldn't have much to base them on?
Hope this might help.
Some other universities give out scholarships based on who had the best A-level grades, or just who they thought had the best overall application. I didn't really think Oxford would, but just wondered...
Che!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
Added advantage of college prizes along with exam/lab course-related prizes is often not doing anything specific above & beyond doing your course or having to apply for them but getting a random cheques in your pidge.. .
Random cheques eh...very nice Although the source of these cheques may raise some suspicion...:rolleyes:
bigjcoool
Report 12 years ago
Indeed random cheques. The only two kinds of scholarship that I can think of to come to Oxford are:

1) Choral scholarships, which definitely exist at New College, Magdalen and Christ Church, as well as at a number of others. At New College, we are treated like scholars in every way (scholar's gown, £200 off battles) except for not being invited to scholar's dinner. We do, however, unlike other scholars, have first pick in the room ballot by default. Usually, choral auditions occur in the september BEFORE academic interviews, and CAN, in some cases, help to get you into the university.

2) Instrumental scholarships. Exactly like choral scholarships, but you usually apply for them once you are already in the university, and no first pick in the room ballot.

3) SOME sports scholarships. I didn't know anything about these, but one of friends gets £750 a year to be a rower here, though it didn't help her get in at all. She hadn't told her tutors when she applied, and they only found out once she got here.
Isaiah Berlin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Are you sure her rowing scholarship is funded by the university/college? I know a lot of rowers who get funded, but generally it's either specfiically by their boat club or by the lottery.
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
e_unit - yeah, i think in oxford's case university/college pre-coming up academic scholarships would be fairly hard to allocate these days - pretty much everyone being an AAA student, interview rankings not necessarily correlating much with subsequent exam performance etc. so could possibly save money & be fairer by waiting to judge on uni performance? & for the attempting to lure students into placing them firm angle perhaps they don't need to do so much of it - with the general reputation & generous grants instead...
(Cambridge definitely used to invite students to take up a place as scholars though apparently - boyf father got special room / grants etc. based on entrance exam performance i think - so maybe it's a more recent change with general changes in university-going & funding.)

Che! - college crest headed cheque with invite to a reception can help clarify..

Isaiah, don't think there are any rowers holding them, but there are the university sports fed co-ordinated scholarships which presumably a rower could apply for?
Isaiah Berlin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Elles: You're (partially) wrong about interview performance and exam performance. I've heard quoted that those who really do excel in admissions very, very often excel in university exams. In subjects where there are central rankings (though tests and so on), there is a wealth of empirical evidence which shows that if you're exceptional early on you stay exceptional.

As a result they could award scholarships in admissions, and by and large these would justify themselves.
tenjon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by bigjcoool)
Indeed random cheques. The only two kinds of scholarship that I can think of to come to Oxford are:

1) Choral scholarships, which definitely exist at New College, Magdalen and Christ Church, as well as at a number of others. At New College, we are treated like scholars in every way (scholar's gown, £200 off battles) except for not being invited to scholar's dinner. We do, however, unlike other scholars, have first pick in the room ballot by default. Usually, choral auditions occur in the september BEFORE academic interviews, and CAN, in some cases, help to get you into the university.
And Organ scholarships. These are applied for before you go to university (indeed, it's the only way you can apply to both Ox & Cam as an undergrad), and are definitely available at lots of colleges - my school has sent them to Univ and Exeter in the last few years, so it's not only the 'traditionally musical' colleges like New, Magdalen and ChCh that offer them. Balliol also offer them as Teddy Heath was one! I believe most colleges do. Obviously it varies between college to college, but I believe they are just as lucrative as choral scholarships, if not more so, as there are numerically less organ scholars. More work though, as, again varying between colleges, they have to play lots of services / rehearse the choir etc.
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Isaiah: Who was the quote from? tis not something i've seen anything in writing on really...although i suppose they should show that their selection methods are predictive, hmm. but from my cohort (subject & college - valid sample of 6 of us! :cool: ) at least I do feel justified in a "interview rankings not necessarily correlating much" suggestion of why they might not.

No doubt those who really excel at the admissions stage probably will perform in exams. But moving down from the exceptional very top university wide, to the range of successful applicants i don't see that the interview assessments would predict those given scholarships in the current system particularly well (perhaps my perspective is subject skewed with sustained work ethic having more influence than natural skill? & work ethic being open to more external factors!).
So would just end up being an additional well-done with the offer for a very small number of students, which doesn't seem particularly justified from a carrot waving angle (pending info re. the number of home student offer holders turning oxford down in favour of a scholarship elsewhere!). So don't see any better purpose served over awarding them after university exams instead & those excelling types can content themselves with paper prizes then too. Although of course, had i been a contender then extra money would have had great purpose.. :p:

(This depends on both of our definitions of excel & exceptional quite a bit...)
OldMan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
(Cambridge definitely used to invite students to take up a place as scholars though apparently - boyf father got special room / grants etc. based on entrance exam performance i think - so maybe it's a more recent change with general changes in university-going & funding.)
Oxford and Cambridge both used to offer entrance scholarships (and exhibitions) based on the entrance exam. Scholarships were supressed in the early or mid 1980s and the exam went a little later, IIRC
Isaiah Berlin
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1989 the exam went.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.54%
No (534)
72.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise