Finance support for resitting modules? Watch

This discussion is closed.
bMonstr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've failed two modules during my second year so can't progress onto the third. I've been told that I would need to resit these two, before progressing onto the third, as a part time student.

Now, me and my friend are both in the same situation and both rang up SF but received different responses. He rang up several times and each time was told that we could receive support because we're still doing a full-time course but on part-time hours, or something to that effect. Whereas I was told that since I'm doing part-time it won't be possible.

I rang up a second time and she kind of confirmed what was said to my friend. She said it depends if I'm doing part time or full time. So the problem is whether we will be considered doing a full or part time course, as I'm only resitting two modules and him three. Where would I stand?

I'm interested if anyone has been in a similar circumstance and what support did they receive.

Thanks
maidencrew
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If its any help my son resat one module last year and still received his original maintenance loan and grant. His fees were reduced to £500 which they also covered. He was only studying 3 hours per week. Check out the NUS website it also says if you are on a full time course but revert to resits for one year your loan entitlement remains the same. Knuckle down this year as you can only do this once!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by maidencrew)
If its any help my son resat one module last year and still received his original maintenance loan and grant. His fees were reduced to £500 which they also covered. He was only studying 3 hours per week. Check out the NUS website it also says if you are on a full time course but revert to resits for one year your loan entitlement remains the same. Knuckle down this year as you can only do this once!
I am in the same situation and have made the nessesary changes on UCAS.

Do you know if he got the loans/grants for all 3 semesters or just one? Do you also know if his first payment was delayed (i made the changes last night for my tuition fee but my maintenance loan is due Monday and they were vague on whether there would be a delay).
maidencrew
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Loan was paid on time, and he still received the same amount for three terms as if he was a full time student. A positive outcome.
imabigboynow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
in a similar situation but i am doing repeating one module.. can anyone help? am i still a full time student but studying part time?
maidencrew
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by imabigboynow)
in a similar situation but i am doing repeating one module.. can anyone help? am i still a full time student but studying part time?
It depends on how many terms your module is over, if it is just one hour over three terms you will still get loan for full year, but if it is only over, say one term you will only get loan for this term. If this is the case speak to faculty as they can often adjust length module is offered depending on number of resitters.

Don't be sent into a panic by reading too many horror stories on the internet. It is in the universities interest to retain all their students, if even for financial gain!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by maidencrew)
It depends on how many terms your module is over, if it is just one hour over three terms you will still get loan for full year, but if it is only over, say one term you will only get loan for this term. If this is the case speak to faculty as they can often adjust length module is offered depending on number of resitters.

Don't be sent into a panic by reading too many horror stories on the internet. It is in the universities interest to retain all their students, if even for financial gain!
Thats a good idea.

Just a note that i am in the same situation and can tell you your loan will be delayed. Mine is currently been assessed and i have to send back a new declaration before i can get it.
bMonstr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
@MaidenCrew: Thanks for the help. I also contacted the Uni. last week to confirm what you said.

For others in the same situation and to clarify, SF will provide funding for the length of your course plus one year. So if you need to resit one or more modules, they will provide both tuition and maintenance loan as normal and you will be considered as a full time student even though you're on "part time" hours.
AyeshaM
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am a first year student I need to resit two modules as a part time, I have already studied one year at another university due to family issues i has to leave that uni and move to London now am so worried if sfe will fund me for the part time course. If anyone in similar situation can help please i am worried to death
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AyeshaM)
I am a first year student I need to resit two modules as a part time, I have already studied one year at another university due to family issues i has to leave that uni and move to London now am so worried if sfe will fund me for the part time course. If anyone in similar situation can help please i am worried to death
Under the current SF rules, your entitlement to SF depends on whether the uni classes you as a full-time or part-time student - this is what they will report to SF. Contact the uni to ask.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Please check thread dates before posting.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19