Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please Help!! I have no idea where to apply. Both AAA offers. Could any one tell me about the social life at either Uni. I dont care about the course. How is the city in nottingham? Is cost of london really that high? What about the rock and scenes. i no london is amazing for that. what about Nott.? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big P)
    Please Help!! I have no idea where to apply. Both AAA offers. Could any one tell me about the social life at either Uni. I dont care about the course. How is the city in nottingham? Is cost of london really that high? What about the rock and scenes. i no london is amazing for that. what about Nott.? Cheers!
    id go to ucl - i dont really like nottingham alot at all, lets not talk about the crime, but the department and the general reputation, ucl comes top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    id go to ucl - i dont really like nottingham alot at all, lets not talk about the crime, but the department and the general reputation, ucl comes top
    But in terms of social life and environment which is better. in your opinion. nottingham (great campus, good social life, low cost of living and decent nightlife) vs. UCL(Great nightlife, great clubbing, decent social life etc.) To those at these uni's or those who have been on open days to either or both uni's why is this uni good or bad?

(Original post by Big P)
    But in terms of social life and environment which is better. in your opinion. nottingham (great campus, good social life, low cost of living and decent nightlife) vs. UCL(Great nightlife, great clubbing, decent social life etc.) To those at these uni's or those who have been on open days to either or both uni's why is this uni good or bad?
    there really is nothing between the two repuatation wise. london will be*far* more expensive for everything, especially clubbing. bands etc will add an extra £3 or so to their tickets everytime they play in london.

i still think nottingham has the edge nightlife wise because unless you are at one of the *central* halls-they have some on tottenham court road i believe? you will have to either pay an extra £20 to the taxi driver or queue for a nightbus. having lived in both cities i prefer notts simply because everything is so much more accessible.

that said london is london, a really amazing place and if you are really into bands and stuff you may find that a lot of american bands tend to play london and glasgow and call that a 'uk tour' :rolleyes:

as for the stupid comments about crime i can't imagine anyone seriously arguing that notts is worse than london, get real.

-admittedly this is an utterly biased view-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    there really is nothing between the two repuatation wise. london will be*far* more expensive for everything, especially clubbing. bands etc will add an extra £3 or so to their tickets everytime they play in london.

i still think nottingham has the edge nightlife wise because unless you are at one of the *central* halls-they have some on tottenham court road i believe? you will have to either pay an extra £20 to the taxi driver or queue for a nightbus. having lived in both cities i prefer notts simply because everything is so much more accessible.

that said london is london, a really amazing place and if you are really into bands and stuff you may find that a lot of american bands tend to play london and glasgow and call that a 'uk tour' :rolleyes:

as for the stupid comments about crime i can't imagine anyone seriously arguing that notts is worse than london, get real.

-admittedly this is an utterly biased view-
    get real? if you divide the no. of crimes by the area, the number will be much bigger meaning more crimes per km or whatever. London is massive, it is inevitable that there will be more crimes.

ReputationRep:
    sorry i'm not trying to change the subject of discussion on this thread but I'm just wondering if anyone can provide me with more info about my concern...
    i just received a info pack from UCL yesterday and there is a letter saying that i'm invited to visit the departments of econ and stat sci next wed...(i've applied to read econ and stat) to have lunch with staff, students and have an informal interview then go on a tour of the uni...they didn't state whether i've been made an offer or not. i'm not totally sure about all this since apparently it's something that UCL does before making an offer to a student...sort of like making sure you're the kind of person they expect from your forms and give u an idea of what the uni is like to help u make decisions whether to accept their offer or not....something like that. can anyone tell me more about this? i mean is that basically a 'pre-offer'....what is the informal interview like do i have to prepare a lot or is it just a general chat? thx a lot~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaSTle OUtsiDeR)
    sorry i'm not trying to change the subject of discussion on this thread but I'm just wondering if anyone can provide me with more info about my concern...
    i just received a info pack from UCL yesterday and there is a letter saying that i'm invited to visit the departments of econ and stat sci next wed...(i've applied to read econ and stat) to have lunch with staff, students and have an informal interview then go on a tour of the uni...they didn't state whether i've been made an offer or not. i'm not totally sure about all this since apparently it's something that UCL does before making an offer to a student...sort of like making sure you're the kind of person they expect from your forms and give u an idea of what the uni is like to help u make decisions whether to accept their offer or not....something like that. can anyone tell me more about this? i mean is that basically a 'pre-offer'....what is the informal interview like do i have to prepare a lot or is it just a general chat? thx a lot~
    In regard to the informal interview, it's not a chat, they'll ask you questions, a girl in my economics class applied for the same course, However she didn't find the interview too strenuous The eocnomics department doesn't interview, btw, so it's just a statistics interview.

ReputationRep:
    having visited both places, i can say that it really depends on what u are looking for from ur time at uni - the two couldnt be more different. nott's university park campus has the rolling hills and lots of trees. ucl's campus is in the congestion charge zone, bit dirty, hardly any greenery, halls aren't onsite. Reputation wise, ucl just about pips nottingham in my opinion. have u got offers at both? or are you just thinking of applying to them?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, basically, I had the same reply from UCl regarding Economics and they asked me to come to an open day. I had the same concerns but the group of people that turned up were told straight away that by turning up, we automatically got offers, without any further stages. We then had the opportunity to ask questions. Don't worry, they wanna test to see if you have the commitment to UCl to turn up. Well done on the offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big P)
    Oh, I'm going to put UCL down at my first choice because I love london, and Campus is too reminiscent of Sussex Uni (my local). The area's a bit dingy in places but quite quaint, main UCL building's impressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    In regard to the informal interview, it's not a chat, they'll ask you questions, a girl in my economics class applied for the same course, However she didn't find the interview too strenuous
    oh right i see...do u have any advice on how to prepare for that interview? i mean like what kind of questions will they generally ask...though i know they will be on econ. but not too sure about stats. btw how long is the interview? thx~

ReputationRep:
    oh right i see...do u have any advice on how to prepare for that interview? i mean like what kind of questions will they generally ask...though i know they will be on econ. but not too sure about stats. btw how long is the interview? thx~
    they won't interview on economics, it's just statistics, don't know what questions however. I imagine it'll be based on stuff learnt in S1 and the easy stuff in S2.

The girl wasn't the best whizz at maths so I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    they won't interview on economics, it's just statistics, don't know what questions however. I imagine it'll be based on stuff learnt in S1 and the easy stuff in S2.

The girl wasn't the best whizz at maths so I wouldn't worry.
    sorry i missed out that bit u've said before about the interview only on stats....for some reason it didn't appear on my screen
    so did the girl get the offer at the end? haha ok i won't be too worried then ...do i have to dress really smart or something? or just a bit of smart casual?

ReputationRep:
    sorry i missed out that bit u've said before about the interview only on stats....for some reason it didn't appear on my screen
    so did the girl get the offer at the end? haha ok i won't be too worried then ...do i have to dress really smart or something? or just a bit of smart casual?
    smart casual to be safe, yeah she got the offer good luck for the interview though i bet you won't need it. Are you thinking of going to UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big P)
    Yeah, basically, I had the same reply from UCl regarding Economics and they asked me to come to an open day. I had the same concerns but the group of people that turned up were told straight away that by turning up, we automatically got offers, without any further stages. We then had the opportunity to ask questions. Don't worry, they wanna test to see if you have the commitment to UCl to turn up. Well done on the offer!
    really? just by turning up? so i mean...what is the main point of having an informal interview? haha...i hope that'll be the case for my course it seems like the other unis don't really do that...anyway thx~

ReputationRep:
    smart casual to be safe, yeah she got the offer good luck for the interview though i bet you won't need it. Are you thinking of going to UCL?
    ok smart casual....that's good thx. looking forward to it...next wed.
    well the thing is...i'm actually quite surprised by the UCL letter since I am not really thinking of going there in the first place...for the other unis i applied i went for acc n fin....which is what i actually wanna do...so yea it's weird why i applied for this course in UCL...i'm not too sure either :P LSE is my first choice and i'm still waiting....it's been so so long.
    so...not really sure how to respond to UCL. you going to UCL as 1st choice?

ReputationRep:
    ok smart casual....that's good thx. looking forward to it...next wed.
    well the thing is...i'm actually quite surprised by the UCL letter since I am not really thinking of going there in the first place...for the other unis i applied i went for acc n fin....which is what i actually wanna do...so yea it's weird why i applied for this course in UCL...i'm not too sure either :P LSE is my first choice and i'm still waiting....it's been so so long.
    so...not really sure how to respond to UCL. you going to UCL as 1st choice?
    Well I got rejected by LSE so yeah

ReputationRep:
    Well I got rejected by LSE so yeah
    um sorry about that....is that for econ.?
    oh god really fingers crossed....should get a reply from LSE within this month....i know some ppl who got early replies from them are rejects...

ReputationRep:
    oh god really fingers crossed....should get a reply from LSE within this month....i know some ppl who got early replies from them are rejects...
    Yeah I was foolish enough to apply for straight economics. In retrospect I wish I'd gone for a joint course. My friend got an offer from the same course today <am v jealous>.

ReputationRep:
    neway, back to original question. why UCL or nottingham in your opinion? what's so good about nottingham

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 8, 2004
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.