Language with a language Watch

Bottekrank
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Does anyone here do a language with another language at uni? I've applied for French with German and I hope it'll be ok. I was wondering whether by the end of the course, you got to near fluency in the "with" language (i.e. German for me) ? I would like to get to a high level with my German as well as my French.

Thanks, Bottekrank x
Cunning Linguist
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ooh.. don't start us off! lol check the "Near-native fluency" thread - there's been a bit of a debate going on there..
paddy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bottekrank)
Does anyone here do a language with another language at uni? I've applied for French with German and I hope it'll be ok. I was wondering whether by the end of the course, you got to near fluency in the "with" language (i.e. German for me) ? I would like to get to a high level with my German as well as my French.

Thanks, Bottekrank x
I guess it'll all depend on your motivation really and the work you do for German.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by paddy357)
I guess it'll all depend on your motivation really and the work you do for German.
And also whether you spend any time in Germany or a German- speaking country. If your course is French with German, you'll probably spend the year abroad in France, but as we've been discussing on the near- native fluency thread, a large part of being fluent is immersing yourself in the language.
gringalet
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is the course definitely called French with German? In that case, it's probably only about a quarter, if not less, of your degree, and, as said before, you probably won't get the option to spend part of your year abroad. At some unis and with some courses, if you're doing a single honours degree, you either have to option or have to take so many units in another subject, which is equal to somebody doing something with something, if that made any sense.

For example, my friend is doing Modern Greek with English at King's. We have to do 4 units a year. 3 of them are spent in the Modern Greek dept, and 1 in the English dept. I would say it'd be a fairly similar ratio at Warwick.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?