Grade D at AS to B at A2? Watch

1234sam1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Is this unheard of?

For my units I got
118 UMS overall which is just a little off a C.
Comprised of A grade B for unit 1 and an E for unit 2 (it was a paper that wasn't for me- I didn't practice the essays enough).

I'm just interested because one of my subject teachers states that it is impossible for him to predict me a B overall, because he's ever heard of anyone going from a D at a AS to a B at A2?
I'm resitting unit 2 btw- revision and exam style practice have started already.
beckylewis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i did in chemistry. I messed up unit 2 first time round so brought me to a D. retook in A2 year, ended up with B overall
Faustus500
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My AS Economics: C pass mark for Unit 1, one mark off for unit 2 = A D grade for AS. Retook the D and got an A (did this exam at the same time as my A2s). At A2 got: an A for Unit 3 and an A* for Unit 4... Unit 4 was basically a harder version of Unit 2. Got a high A overall.

So yes, it is possible.
Liam6993
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did exactly that, in Economics. At AS I originally got 113/200 UMS (a D), but after resitting both units and doing well at A2, I ended up with 302/400 (a B) in the full A-level. So yes, of course it can be done. If I can do it then anyone can.
Coconutter
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Definatly possible- gonna require a lot of hard work but start early enough, cover everything and make sure your fixing what went wrong from last year and you'll stand a pretty good chance. This is what I'm aiming to do for my chemistry.
Alexandra's Box
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That and better has been done. In my college, a guy went from failing business AS to scoring As and also encouraging and helping others to do the same. He got Student of The Month (thrilling accolade I know!)
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Samc12)
Is this unheard of?

For my units I got
118 UMS overall which is just a little off a C.
Comprised of A grade B for unit 1 and an E for unit 2 (it was a paper that wasn't for me- I didn't practice the essays enough).

I'm just interested because one of my subject teachers states that it is impossible for him to predict me a B overall, because he's ever heard of anyone going from a D at a AS to a B at A2?
I'm resitting unit 2 btw- revision and exam style practice have started already.
Just retake your as exams. I got an E at AS and a B in A2, however that was in French so I didn't need to memorise anything when resitting.
MovieMoments
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In AS I went from a C philosophy and ethics to an A.
Vivaviolin77
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
His guys u am looking to get BCC and ingot CDD for my as exams it this possible ?
bearing in mind I was 6 or so marks off a C n one of them.
Chesca93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you work hard it can be done
1234sam1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Liam6993)
I did exactly that, in Economics. At AS I originally got 113/200 UMS (a D), but after resitting both units and doing well at A2, I ended up with 302/400 (a B) in the full A-level. So yes, of course it can be done. If I can do it then anyone can.
So would it be unreasonable to ask my teacher to do it, because when I asked him to move my prediction from a D at A2 to a B he said it wasn't possible and that he would be doing me no favours by doing so, yet my other economics teacher said he would do it.. but he's not in charge.. sadly
andromeda24
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
got BCE in AS hoping to go up to ABB this year. anything is possible if you want it bad enough
shenanigan93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is possible. In French I went from a C at AS to an A at A2. However my teacher didn't think I would even manage a B and still predicted me a C. Luckily I still got into uni with it. If only I could've seen her face when she saw my result
andromeda24
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Blue Rose)
Just retake your as exams. I got an E at AS and a B in A2, however that was in French so I didn't need to memorise anything when resitting.
(Original post by shenanigan93)
It is possible. In French I went from a C at AS to an A at A2. However my teacher didn't think I would even manage a B and still predicted me a C. Luckily I still got into uni with it. If only I could've seen her face when she saw my result
What do you mean you didn't need to memorize anything? I'm hoping to get a B this year too after getting an E in my AS.

Definitely res-sitting. May i ask how you revised for the writing paper? I know that I need to just do practice essays for the essay question but what about everything else? Sorry if i'm being a pain, it's just i'm pretty good at writing in class just can't seem to nail it during the exam. x
tylerk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in the same situation except 1 mark above you (1 off a C), and I'm resitting the E that I greatly achieved and hoping for an A or B.
nevetstreblig
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anything is possible if you want it to be. I went from BBC (bio/chem/phys) to AAB whilst retaking all of my AS exams...and i almost got A*AA in the end. If you want it, do it.
Akbar2k7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
did it in chemistry
shenanigan93
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by andromeda24)
Definitely res-sitting. May i ask how you revised for the writing paper? I know that I need to just do practice essays for the essay question but what about everything else? Sorry if i'm being a pain, it's just i'm pretty good at writing in class just can't seem to nail it during the exam. x
My information might be a bit sketchy because this was over a year ago, and everything exam-related went out of my mind as soon as they were over I'm not sure if you're talking about AS or A2 in particular, so I'll include both. I know you've already said it, but do LOTS of practice essays! I think I did everyone that was available, and it really helped a lot because I was a lot more prepared.

At A2 I focused a lot on specific things I hadn't put enough effort into at AS such as revising tenses more thoroughly. That made me able to use a wider variety of them, and thus get higher marks. I can't really remember what else I did, I'm sorry :/ What exam board are you with? If you can tell me more about what your writing paper involves and it was similar to mine, I might be able to help a bit more as I can remember a few specifics which may or may not be helpful.
littlemissmidget123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i went from an e with retakes to a b, 3 ums off an a for AS maths, but dropped a2, though in hindsight i should have kept a2 going, it was just a bad teacher
i also went from a d at as to a b at a2 overall with one retake in DT

however it i pretty clear that my other 2 subjects didnt get as much time as needed so i would advise you to think long and hard about focussing on getting one grade up if it will leave you ignoring your other subjects
CT.
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did it.
I had an awful time of AS. In chemistry I got a D in unit 1 twice, then jumped to an A in A2. So a D to a B is entirely possible with hard-work.

I also had to beg my chemistry teacher to predict me the grade I needed, keep trying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.69%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (258)
63.39%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.91%
Not yet but I might (57)
14%

Watched Threads