Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not which is your favourite but which do you feel contains the most talented artists. Is this the same as your favourite genre? Extra respect shall be given to people willing to admit that a genre other than their favourite contains the most talent.

I personally think the rock/alternative genre has the most. Write their own songs, play their own instruments, and obviously the ones that get the furthest tend to be pretty good at it as well.

Edit - it's also the music I most enjoy listening to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Not which is your favourite but which do you feel contains the most talented artists. Is this the same as your favourite genre? Extra respect shall be given to people willing to admit that a genre other than their favourite contains the most talent.

I personally think they rock/alternative genre has the most. Write their own songs, play their own instruments, and obviously the ones that get the furthest tend to be pretty good at it as well.
    classical is probably the hardest to play properly

ReputationRep:
    don't know, classical maybe i think that you can find talented artists in every genre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    don't know, classical maybe i think that you can find talented artists in every genre
    i concur!

ReputationRep:
    I think classical.
    I also think classical musicians are perhaps the most serious about their art, (I'm sure many people will disagree) and have a genuine love for the music rather than the lifestyle, which is often not very glamorous.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, slight change of question. Which is the most talented popular (i.e. pop, hip-hop, rock, etc) music genre?

ReputationRep:
    blues, dno if that counts as popular, u cant jst say classical isnt popular and that we're only allwoed to say hip-hop or wateva. Blue's has its own scale with flats and sharps + blues is improvisin (playing with nothin infrnt of u) so thats very hard to do

ReputationRep:
    There is no question that classical musicians are overall the most talented (the brilliant ones, I mean!). And classical music is popular, even if lots of people our age think it's sad. Otherwise, I'd agree with Lokolo and say that blues is very hard to play. And sounds soooo nice when done well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    There is no question that classical musicians are overall the most talented (the brilliant ones, I mean!). And classical music is popular, even if lots of people our age think it's sad. Otherwise, I'd agree with Lokolo and say that blues is very hard to play. And sounds soooo nice when done well!
    I have much more respect for rock songwriting/performing talent than I do for other genres. Sure, classical is hard too, but I don't like the music that much myself anyway so I go for rock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lokolo)
    blues, dno if that counts as popular, u cant jst say classical isnt popular and that we're only allwoed to say hip-hop or wateva. Blue's has its own scale with flats and sharps + blues is improvisin (playing with nothin infrnt of u) so thats very hard to do
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to be difficult just trying to encourage some debate, which I didn't think would be very likely if everyone agreed that classical was probably the most talented genre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    i'd agree and say classical is technically very good, but then again so is jazz and blues as mentioned. It takes a lot of skill and talent to muck about and improvise in songs and make it sound fantastic - especially when you just get a few musicians improvising together. Much respect to them.

ReputationRep:
    When jazz/blues musicians improvise successfully - now you have to be an outstanding musician to be able to make it sound good!

ReputationRep:
    in terms of skill playing instruments, probably rock or classical,
    in terms of songwriting, classical definately.

in general.

ReputationRep:
    blues, duh :P

ReputationRep:
    I would say its pretty even between Rock and Rap (not the pop Hip-Hop stuff). Nas and Eminem are lyrically amazing and there are many Rock musicians who we should worship for their musical genious.

ReputationRep:
    modern jazz has extremeely complex theory (although not the same history as western art music) I am not talking about jamie cullam.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Classical, absolutely no doubt about it!

ReputationRep:
    The genre requiring most talent id concur is classical though the most competitive by far is any form of rock. When you consider how many people play guitar form bands etc its usually a huge achievement to gain any type of success playing this type of music.

ReputationRep:

I personally think the rock/alternative genre has the most. Write their own songs, play their own instruments, and obviously the ones that get the furthest tend to be pretty good at it as well.

Hardcore gangsta rap.

ReputationRep:

I really do not think you have to be very talented when rapping as you do not even have to be able to sing. Pop you have to be abale to sing moderately, but there is no real need for playing instruments.
    Rock you have to be able to sing (in various degrees) and play instruments.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.