Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Wow Funeral Ambush Watch

ReputationRep:
    I posted this in the TSR Online Gaming Society but i don't believe anyone has viewed it. Thought i'd share it with all you gaming fans, i'd like to hear your views:

http://spikedhumor.com/articles/2228...ush_Video.html

For the full story: http://www.filecloud.com/files/file....file_id=123092

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    It's cruel that that guild ambushed the funeral. People take WoW far too seriously though.

ReputationRep:
    I think the correct term is 'ganked'

ReputationRep:
    Thats kinda hard to see... but going too far, i suppose the funeral is fair enough, its quite tragic someone actually died the funeral is a mark of respect, so the ambush is quite pathetic.

edit: Ganking is usually everyone on one player though... there were enough there to defend.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's funny, mainly people on other boards arguing about it. The people who attacked were in the rights to do so, the funeral was in a combat zone. It's harsh, but not wrong by the rules.

ReputationRep:
    With any luck, it'll be just the thing to shake them from their self-induced coma and make them take notice of the real world.

Then again, do we really want the type of person who would attend an online funeral walking freely around our streets?

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, its hardly the same as all the criminals who already do walk our streets. Do you play any online games Grav? If you got to know people online from whatever game well enough im sure you would go to their online funeral.

ReputationRep:
    See, I'm an actual WoW player and i'm in two halves about this. One half of me says that it was cruel, disrespectful and completely distasteful - someone died after all! I've seen the aftermath of this and everything, there's an even bigger file around. The memorial took place after the ambush happened again anyway. One the other hand, i thought it was superb, especially the video we just saw and its editting. I'd be lying if i said i didn't at least chuckle. If i knew someone who had died in the game and there was a memorial, i'd definitely attend, no doubt, just as a sign of respect for something that they were clearly passionate about before their passing. But game or no game, people have completely overlooked the fact that someone actually died in real life...that's the saddest part about it.

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swinely)
    Oh come on, its hardly the same as all the criminals who already do walk our streets. Do you play any online games Grav? If you got to know people online from whatever game well enough im sure you would go to their online funeral.
    I played WoW for about 2 months, but then got very bored of it. And no, I do not see myself attending an online funeral even if someone in my guild died. Partly because I wouldn't feel right attending the 'funeral' of someone who I didn't know in real life, partly because I think the whole idea of an online 'funeral' is a bit pathetic, bordering on disrespectful, and partly because I doubt that I would ever become involved with the type of people that would hold such a 'service'.

With that in mind, I found the video quite amusing.

ReputationRep:
    partly because I think the whole idea of an online 'funeral' is a bit pathetic, bordering on disrespectful
    surely if the guy spent a lot of his time in game then he'd like to have a game based sending off?

seems a bit harsh to me tbh

ReputationRep:
    Ok I just didn't get that vid at all....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgoth)
    surely if the guy spent a lot of his time in game then he'd like to have a game based sending off?

seems a bit harsh to me tbh
    It is harsh. Beautifully harsh.

And to parag - the video is basically a recording of when one guild ambushed another guild that was holding a funeral service for one of their members who had just died (in real life).

ReputationRep:
    Ah that makes much more sense then, couldn't make out much from the video. I didn't realise they were actually dead IRL. Bit harsh then, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    It's harsh, but hardly unforgivable. It would be unforgivable if 50 people turned up at the real funeral, wearing fancy dress, and started attacking the guests with rubber scythes.

ReputationRep:
    JTFR, the person that died was a girl!

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    I'm also a WoW player and I've been in the same clan for 3 years now, met some of them in real life etc, and honestly - an online funeral is a mockery. It's like a piss take. Games are for fun, and dying in real life is a real life issue. Phone their next of kin and offer your condolences, or send them a letter, something; But an online funeral just makes a mockery of a serious matter.

ReputationRep:
    that video was so raw! but theres got to be something wrong with attacking ppl at a funeral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gravastar)
    With any luck, it'll be just the thing to shake them from their self-induced coma and make them take notice of the real world.
    What makes you think that the people who screwed up the "funeral" were perfectly in the real world? I'd be more inclined to think that they're the warped ones. While I feel that an online funeral is a bit of a mockery, I certainly doubt that it was meant in that way. I would be rather upset if some of the people I've played alongside in PlanetSide were to die, as I've spoken to them over teamspeak and have got to know them rather well.

ReputationRep:
    I think an online funeral would be touching, ppl i havent even met spend their time giving me a decent dending off.

Poll
Should gherkins be in burgers?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.