Is GCSE Child Development a 'soft' subject?

Watch
username1025401
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Basically, I'm taking HE child development for my gcse's. The thing is, I want to do medicine when I'm older and I'm wondering if colleges and universities will look down at the gcse.The other subjects I am taking are double maths, biology,chemistry, physics, history,french and r.s, and I am aware that they are relatively academic subjects. Will taking child development affect me in anyway? I'm just worried that it won't be taken as seriously as the other subjects and might taint my chances into going to a good sixth form.

Thanks in advance
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by missxyz)
Basically, I'm taking HE child development for my gcse's. The thing is, I want to do medicine when I'm older and I'm wondering if colleges and universities will look down at the gcse.The other subjects I am taking are double maths, biology,chemistry, physics, history,french and r.s, and I am aware that they are relatively academic subjects. Will taking child development affect me in anyway? I'm just worried that it won't be taken as seriously as the other subjects and might taint my chances into going to a good sixth form.

Thanks in advance
It isn't as "traditional" as something like History, GCSE choices don't really matter though, so don't worry about it hindering you in any way. I also did it, I took it because it's pretty easy, and it is an easy choice to get another A*. The child study is a fair bit of work, but I managed full marks on it so it can't be too bad as long as you put your effort into it.

So overall, I don't think it will affect your chances in anyway at all
Aspiringlawstudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do you even need to ask?

It's as soft as Nick Clegg's spine.
Graceyyyyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hope you're doing English too! Try and get as many A*'s as possible and you'll be fine
username1025401
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Graceyyyyyyy)
I hope you're doing English too! Try and get as many A*'s as possible and you'll be fine
Yes I am and literature! Thanks, I'll try xD

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
harrybithell196
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't say it's like as respected as other subjects. Yet still, you're studying separate sciences which is somewhat more relevant to medicine. Personally, I seriously don't think it will make any difference. I don't think most universities won't look at GCSE choices, they may look at what grades you got but not at what you choose necessarily. Also, it's not like you've taken Child Development at A-Level which is what perspective universities are more likely to look at.
If that makes any sense, then good. If it doesn't basically don't worry, as long as you get the best grade you can in all of your subjects then you're sorted.
member833935
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If I'm honest, no one will care so long as you get higher than a B. What you need to focus on mainly is getting an A* in Chemistry mainly but also Biology and Physics. These will give you a sure spot for a career in Medicine so long as you continue to do Chemistry and Biology throughout your future.
recurring500
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes. It is a joke of a subject.
Papersnowflakes
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes it's a soft subject but then again it may be easier to get a high grade
sarahjones95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not really, especially if you want to go into child medicine! I am doing a-level childcare and i am hoping to do child nursing!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The Polymath
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, it is a soft subject, but no one cares.

You still have to do the core Maths, English, Science, and whatever you choose outside that hardly has an impact. Unis tend to glance at your GCSE results, look at how consistent the string of A*/As is, and move on. They might blink twice if you got a B in the subject you're applying for, but even then they'd ignore it if you did well at AS.

I did Electronics, RS short course, ICT short course, Music, French and German as my options. A few of them are soft, no one cares though
Alexandra's Box
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
GCSE subjects do not matter. As long as you have Eng Lang, maths and any sciences specified at the required grades, subjects do not matter. The grades, however, for many places do.
magicmuggle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
Do you even need to ask?

It's as soft as Nick Clegg's spine.
That makes it non existent then!

And OP, I'm sure nobody will care, as long as you have the relevant GCSEs.
stephlouisee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
definatley not! you have a lot of work to do!
myusername.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I wouldn't think so. I would have loved the chance to study Child Dev. at GCSE but sadly, my school did not offer it. The subject seems very interesting.
Starrstruck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have never heard of it but I'm sure it won't affect your chances of getting into a good college, just make sure your grades are good enough in your traditional subjects.
debbs567
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
im actually doing this for my gcse and i think its good and u'll definatley be able to get an A* but its a lot of work
username1023895
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Thanks in advance
you are lucky because at least,it is gcse. im doing btec health and social and the only reason i choosed was because my parents say it will help with the medical setting so do not worry just conentrate on it and other subjects.

and what is double math i have never heard of it
my other subjects are english lit and lang,history,spanish,italian,re,math and tripple science.

good luck for your exams
izpenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I doubt it will matter. Just focus on getting the best possible grades in all of your subjects, particularly the core ones (English, maths & science).
lou_100
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Thanks in advance
To put it bluntly it's probably considered by Universities as near the very bottom of the soft pile.

If all your other subjects are hard and traditional, (which they are), then it should be fine, just try to get lots of A*s, and preferably the rest As and the GCSE subjects matter much less than the grades you achieve. It's the set of grades more than the subjects, minus English and Maths and Science of which the grades for those subjects might be checked and looked at. It won't affect chances of getting into 6th Form.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads