Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am making this thread two years too late but....

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly Manchester, but not exactly Manchester Met either. I think it has a reasonable reputation, and you could be doing a lot worse

ReputationRep:
    its not where you go to do you're degree, its what class degree you get. a first from salford is the same as a first from anywhere else in the country, bloody hard to get. maybe the uni hasn't exactly got the same reputation as oxbridge but it's a decent place to study with all the amenities of manchester nearby too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VoodooDoll)
    its not where you go to do you're degree, its what class degree you get. a first from salford is the same as a first from anywhere else in the country, bloody hard to get. maybe the uni hasn't exactly got the same reputation as oxbridge but it's a decent place to study with all the amenities of manchester nearby too.
    Yeah I am probably just worrying over nothing, I was talking to other people on my course today and realised that if you make the degree your own you can get so much out of it. In otherwords don't do just do what everybody else is doing, go that extra mile.

I was talking to one my tutors again and he more less said the same thing, that just because there is diots there it dosn't mean they will do well or even pass the degee, so if you get a 2:1, or a 1st its still very high standard.

I would say Salford is better than the Met too, but the league tables say otherwise, however I am pretty sure if what all the people at the university say is right, that Salford will be quite a few places higher than the met when the new tables come out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

You said Salford was the highest ranked university you applied for. I dread to wonder who the other 5 uni's were!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am probably just worrying over nothing, I was talking to other people on my course today and realised that if you make the degree your own you can get so much out of it. In otherwords don't do just do what everybody else is doing, go that extra mile.

I was talking to one my tutors again and he more less said the same thing, that just because there is diots there it dosn't mean they will do well or even pass the degee, so if you get a 2:1, or a 1st its still very high standard.

I would say Salford is better than the Met too, but the league tables say otherwise, however I am pretty sure if what all the people at the university say is right, that Salford will be quite a few places higher than the met when the new tables come out.
    well i have almost no knowledge of league table ratings and i'd have said salford was better than manchester met. i wouldn't worry too much about ratings and stuff though, by the time you've got your degree and are job hunting the rankings could look completely different. i got into st andrews (ranked top 10) for psychology and edinburgh (ranked top 20), but i'm putting edinburgh first because i liked it the best.

ReputationRep:
    If your doin media type things then its good, but if your doin an academic subject then its crap, as my mate put it (my view isnt quite this harsh) places like salford are good at being pointless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    If your doin media type things then its good, but if your doin an academic subject then its crap, as my mate put it (my view isnt quite this harsh) places like salford are good at being pointless
    :rolleyes:
    what's the point being snobby and arrogant about other people's uni's and degrees just to worry people?! a degree is a degree. not everyone wants to go to oxbridge or a top ten uni, and not everyone has got the grades. just because a uni doesn't make AAA offers doesn't make it pointless. also at salford there will be fewer snobs like you with an attitude problem, a definate plus!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Salford actually as a good reputation for some academic subjects, e.g. History and Politics, and maybe languages I think?

I went to the Uni itself on a Politics conference and the campus was much nicer than I was expecting.

ReputationRep:
    My course is basicaly web development/user end software with a bit of media production i.e editing videos etc.

There are academic elemets in it, but its not academic in the way history is.

Actually for biochemestry (or one of the biology related sciences) Salford is in the top 10, so its good for some acamedic things.

Salford is two points lower than Manchester Met. Salford beats Manchester Met on everything apart from teaching.

The universities I applied for were, Salford, Manchester Met and ek em Bolton. I had to intention of going to Bolton though under any circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Salford actually as a good reputation for some academic subjects, e.g. History and Politics, and maybe languages I think?

I went to the Uni itself on a Politics conference and the campus was much nicer than I was expecting.
    Yep it has a decent reputation of all of those things, where it actually falls down on is Media Studies (one of the worst places in the country to do it!), liesure management etc but all these cuases used to be taught by Salford University College which never had anything to do with Salford until they merged in 1996. They are slowly filtering out these courses though.

I think the problem with Salford is just too mixed ,entry can vary from 120 to 320 points depending on the course.

ReputationRep:
    Before coming to Manchester, I'd have said in very simplified terms that Salford = poor uni.

My opinion has definitely changed though, and I personally hold it now in high regard.

ReputationRep:
    i think what is going to matter in the end is the quality of your work and experience gained. im sure any employer will want evidence of your work and yours will stand out from the idiots on your course.

university degrees are what you make of them, work hard and get experience and it will pay off. at the end of the day the uni doesnt matter. the fact you are doing the degree stands strong for itself

ReputationRep:
    I had to intention of going to Bolton though under any circumstances.
    That is totally hypocritical: you don't want people at higher ranked universities to look down on Salford, yet you will happily criticise establishments that you see as inferior to your own university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    That is totally hypocritical: you don't want people at higher ranked universities to look down on Salford, yet you will happily criticise establishments that you see as inferior to your own university.
    I admit it sounds like it, but the facilities were so bad at Bolton and the fact they did nothing but **** over universities off jsut told me it was pointless studying a degree there. I've since heared a lot of horror stories that comfirmed my suspisions. I would have gone to places like Manchester Met, or Coventry, all which tend to be lower than Salford. Bolton is in TVU league though. (statisticaly its worse).

Also I know people from better universities will look down on Salford and they have a right to. Manchester is better than Salford, nobody is saying any different, but that dosn't mean Salford is crap.

If you want I could list 20 reasons to back my claim.

ReputationRep:

If you want I could list 20 reasons to back my claim.
    Reasons are irrelevant, if, as was said in an earlier post, degrees from all universities really are equal.

ReputationRep:
    Reasons are irrelevant, if, as was said in an earlier post, degrees from all universities really are equal.
    sorry but that just is not true...

wherever you get a 1st/2.1 from you are always going to be respected because you have obviously put int he work etc etc...however if someone has a 1st from a top uni and a 1st from a bottom ten uni it is really naive to think that there is no difference....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dforster)

wherever you get a 1st/2.1 from you are always going to be respected because you have obviously put int he work etc etc...however if someone has a 1st from a top uni and a 1st from a bottom ten uni it is really naive to think that there is no difference....
    thats true. a degree only shows you can work to a certain standard and have certain skills. however a top university degree goes further than that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dforster)

I didn't say I believed it. I was just pointing out that if someone wants to argue that a first from Salford is equal to a first from a higher university, then you also have to accept that a first from Bolton is equal to a first from Salford, or indeed that a first from Bolton is higher than both a 2.1 from Salford or a higher ranked university.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say I believed it. I was just pointing out that if someone wants to argue that a first from Salford is equal to a first from a higher university, then you also have to accept that a first from Bolton is equal to a first from Salford, or indeed that a first from Bolton is higher than both a 2.1 from Salford or a higher ranked university.
    The reality is that a 1st from Botlon will be worth as much as a 3rd from Oxbridge. University is not like a set curriculum set the government, its made up by university.

Therefore a 1st from Salford is worth more than a 1st from Bolton, a 1st from Oxbridge is worth more than a first from Salford etc.

When I went to Bolton's interview the stuff they were demonstrating was very basic and the standard was a lot worse than any other higher education place I have been to.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.