Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    The reality is that a 1st from Botlon will be worth as much as a 3rd from Oxbridge. University is not like a set curriculum set the government, its made up by university.

Therefore a 1st from Salford is worth more than a 1st from Bolton, a 1st from Oxbridge is worth more than a first from Salford etc.

When I went to Bolton's interview the stuff they were demonstrating was very basic and the standard was a lot worse than any other higher education place I have been to.

I believe that is entirely true. I just dislike that it is acceptable for people at a whole range of universities to say that about the lower ranked places, yet if people at Oxbridge claim anything similar they will have accusations of snobbery/elitism thrown at them in a moment. Such double standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    I believe that is entirely true. I just dislike that it is acceptable for people at a whole range of universities to say that about the lower ranked places, yet if people at Oxbridge claim anything similar they will have accusations of snobbery/elitism thrown at them in a moment. Such double standards.
    Yeah but I don't really mind people at Oxford saying Salford isn't very good etc its expected. I only singled out Bolton because in 2002 the facilties were very poor for the course I was looking at there is no polite way of putting that. I mean they had acient Pcs, the internet connection actually almost went down in a demonstration, they ****ged of Salford saying things which turned out to be pure lies etc.

I didn't mean to word my original reply so badly but Salford was the cut off point in to which if I didn't get in I would have studied an A levels for an extra year rather than go to Bolton. I have since found out I could have probably got in at Lancaster and Liverpool if I applied but I didn't so oh well.

ReputationRep:
    Which would be more 'respected' then: a 1st from APU or a 3rd from Oxford (I know people who have both of these degrees).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Which would be more 'respected' then: a 1st from APU or a 3rd from Oxford (I know people who have both of these degrees).
    Is that Anglia Polynetic? I guess it depends on the job and the circumstances. If the Oxford student went to a poor college at the university and didn't get that good A levels for Oxford standards then maybe the APU person would do better.

If I was employer I may choose the APU student because there is no way you could can a first at any university and be lazy. However I would have thought it was hard to even get a pass at Oxford if you're lazy.

I am making this thread two years too late but....
    to be honest with you before i read your threads about it i would have thought it was bollox, tvu standard etc but from seein the pictures and reading what you've said about its computing courses im sure its much better than what i had perceived it to be, but i think you will have trouble convincing others of this

0drunken-soz

get the 1st and im sure you will do fine despite all your moaning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    to be honest with you before i read your threads about it i would have thought it was bollox, tvu standard etc but from seein the pictures and reading what you've said about its computing courses im sure its much better than what i had perceived it to be, but i think you will have trouble convincing others of this

0drunken-soz

get the 1st and im sure you will do fine despite all your moaning
    Yeah will its not ex poly, it has been a university since 1967 and has been a higher education establishment since 1896. It does low in the league tables due the merger with Salford University College but eventualy the effects of this will die out, they are spending £100 million on improving standards. I would just call it an imtermediate univerist, a long way off from Oxbridge but also a long way of from TVU.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never heard of it before you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah will its not ex poly, it has been a university since 1967 and has been a higher education establishment since 1896. It does low in the league tables due the merger with Salford University College but eventualy the effects of this will die out, they are spending £100 million on improving standards. I would just call it an imtermediate univerist, a long way off from Oxbridge but also a long way of from TVU.
    I'd heard of it before i'm sure it was in the times or something a couple of years ago as the worst non ex poly in the UK.
    But I think you can get away with it because you've chosen it to live at home which would be recognised by employers. I think you should work for the first though.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.