Appealing my exclusion from Lancaster University Watch

PocketPiece
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am a 2nd year student at Lancaster studying Economics, I failed 3 of the 8 units that I did resits for.

You had to get 9 in those units. The requirements to proceeding to 3rd year are:-

• To proceed to the final year of a Bachelors with honours degree all students must achieve, following all opportunities for reassessment, an overall aggregation score of 9 with no more than 30 credits condoned
• When all the results of all reassessments relating to the second year of a three-year Bachelors Hons degree programme or in the second or third year of a four-year Bachelors Hons degree or Integrated Masters degree are available, the overall profile will be reviewed by the relevant examining bodies and up to 30 credits may be condoned where the aggregation score is between 5 and 9. No module may be condoned with an aggregation score of less than 5, nor may any module be condoned if a student has not attempted reassessment.

Each module unit is 15 credits, so I can only be condoned for 2 units but I failed 3.

My marks were 8.6 for Econ 211, 8.8 for Econ 221 and 8.8 for Econ 227.

I am gutted and devastated that I missed my opportunity to proceed into the 3rd year but what is worse is that I am getting kicked out of the university.

This is the complete letter I received:-

"As you will be aware from viewing your results online, you are not qualified to continue with the next year of your studies. This is because you have failed to meet the progression requirements. To remind you those requirements are :
• To proceed to the final year of a Bachelors with honours degree all students must achieve, following all opportunities for reassessment, an overall aggregation score of 9 with no more than 30 credits condoned
• When all the results of all reassessments relating to the second year of a three-year Bachelors Hons degree programme or in the second or third year of a four-year Bachelors Hons degree or Integrated Masters degree are available, the overall profile will be reviewed by the relevant examining bodies and up to 30 credits may be condoned where the aggregation score is between 5 and 9. No module may be condoned with an aggregation score of less than 5, nor may any module be condoned if a student has not attempted reassessment.
If you wish you may ask for this outcome to be reviewed by the Part II Review Committee. If you do not request for your case to be reviewed it will be assumed that you have decided to withdraw from university.
The function of the Committee is to consider all the evidence presented to it and then take appropriate action, which may include:
• Confirming the exclusion
• To temporarily exclude you allowing an external reassessment the following summer
• Allow you to continue with your studies
• To allow you to retake the entire year (in exceptional circumstances)
I must emphasise that you need to think realistically about your future: any review hearing is only likely to change the outcome if there are circumstances of which the University has not yet heard and which might have affected your performance and results.
If you do wish to appeal you must submit written evidence to the Committee by 21 September 2012 (please send by email to John Dickinson [email protected] and address the letter to the Chair of the Part II Review Committee) and you must decide whether to appeal in person or not. You may be accompanied to the appeal by a College Tutor, the LUSU advisor or another senior member of the University: it is up to you to make this contact and the necessary arrangements. You may, in any case, wish to consult your tutor or the academic advisor at LUSU before you decide whether or not to appeal. The LUSU Advice centre can be contacted on 01524 (5)94327 or email [email protected]
The review hearings will take place on 26 September 2012 and if you have indicated that you wish to attend, you will be contacted with an appointment time a few days before the hearing.
You can if you wish view the paperwork on your case to be presented to the review committee; the papers should be available for viewing on 25 September, to save an extra journey, you can ask your representative to view the papers on your behalf by providing them with written consent. Likewise your departments will have access to view any paperwork that you have presented for your appeal.

Yours sincerely

Ian Denny
Head of Student Registry"

I did have a health problem that persisted throughout the year that I did not disclose it to the university but after speaking to the LUSU advice centre who then asked if I had any mitigating reason, it was the only one I could think of.

My health problem was a condition that made me bedridden many times throughout the year until I finally consulted a doctor who then gave me medication for it. However, it still happens. It made me miss many lectures and tutorials that it got to the point where the Student Registry thought I was withdrawing from the university. It also hindered my revision, which resulted in some poor performances in tests that where part of my coursework, this meant that I had to do much better in later exams to make up for it but as you can see, it was not good enough.

I want to finish my degree and I want to graduate from Lancaster University, I passed my first year but my 2nd year has been made tough for me by no fault of my own.

I don't know how to appeal this as I started taking medication during the 3rd term.

What are my chances of reinstatement back into the university?

Thank you all for reading this and I hope you will respond to this topic soon.
ADG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's quite likely they would repeal the exclusion if you can provide them with evidence of your condition; a doctor's note would most likely be enough. It also seems particularly harsh to exclude you with marks that close to the required level. You may have to retake exams or come back next year, but hopefully they will let you progress to the third year straight away.

Best of luck with the appeal.
PocketPiece
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by ADG)
I think it's quite likely they would repeal the exclusion if you can provide them with evidence of your condition; a doctor's note would most likely be enough. It also seems particularly harsh to exclude you with marks that close to the required level. You may have to retake exams or come back next year, but hopefully they will let you progress to the third year straight away.

Best of luck with the appeal.
Thank you for your reply.

A doctor's note, usually what is written in that because my GP's receptionist is asking me to write up about it and then my GP will check it and then will approve of it by signing it.

All I can think of is write what I had and the medicine he prescribed to me and that the medication also had side-effects of their own as well. He gave me the medication in April, just before the 3rd term.

Is that enough?

Also my father wants to take me straight to the Dean in Lancaster Unviersity to talk about my situation and to ask he can reinstate me back into the university.

I thought the only way was through appealing, which I am going to do but he has said that is how one of his friend's got his son back into Medicine at Leicester University.

My environment during the time when I had to prepare for my re-sits was not comfortable either. My father's little brother had a stroke and then died of a heart-attack, my father himself had a heart-attack many years ago. So when my uncle died, many were comparing me to him and saying that I could die early.

My father's little brother's death requires a death certificate as proof but my uncle was a Canadian, and most of my father's siblings (5 of them to be exact) do not get along with him and will most likely not give the death certificate as proof.

I want to finish my degree and especially at Lancaster University.

If I am kicked out, I will have lost 6 years of my life because I have taken a gap year and been to a university were I was unable to finish my degree. I am not sure whether to bring this up in my appeal letter.

Lancaster University for me is my last opportunity for a degree in my opinion but my mother wants me to make an application through UCAS, apparently UCAS for 2012 entry closes up on the 20th September 2012, so in 4 days time if Lancaster University does not go to plan. I do not wish for this happen, I am so close to finishing a degree I want to get.

The conditions seem very harsh on my case but those are the rules.
Robbolo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The college deans have absolutely no administrative power regarding enrollment, so that route wouldn't get you anywhere. Deans are for disciplinary action in regards to the behaviour of members' of colleges. I have had people in similar situations to you, and every single one of them went through the appeal procedure, there is no magic way around it.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had some misfortune in regards to your time here, but do you think this is something that can be resolved? If you failed second year, what's to stop you failing third year too? And if you were unable to complete a degree at another university, what makes you think Lancaster is different? If studying is affecting your health, then you should make that a priority.

Anyway, I shalln't judge, I don't know your situation. Just make sure you're making the correct choice and prepare as best you can for your appeal. Good luck and all the best.
ISS Monkey 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Robbolo)
The college deans have absolutely no administrative power regarding enrollment, so that route wouldn't get you anywhere. Deans are for disciplinary action in regards to the behaviour of members' of colleges. I have had people in similar situations to you, and every single one of them went through the appeal procedure, there is no magic way around it.
We actually have quite a few different deans, and the roles vary significantly. The ones you're talking about are indeed responsible for discipline, there's one "College Dean" (senior member, not the postgrads helping out) in each college, and the "University Dean" is overall responsible.

There are also other Deans, such as the "Dean of Undergraduate Studies" and "Dean of Graduate Studies" who belong to the Vice Chancellors office. They do have involvement in the academic process, unlike College Deans and the University Dean.

However I don't know if the Dean's of Studies have the ability to overrule the exclusion process. Exclusion is done by a committee, once you reach the point your case is internally handled by your department, at which point they will present any evidence you have already given, such as known medical issues. The outcome of that is given to you, at which point, you may appeal their decision.

Medical evidence is may be your best option, if it demonstrates you would have been impaired at the time and unable to perform to your fullest ability. Key being at the time you were working, not right this moment.

Assuming you were in contact with the doctors during this time, your medical records should allow the doctors to confirm you may have been disadvantaged by your illness.

Good luck with your appeal.
Rach460
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,
i know this is an old topic but i am in the exact situation and i have emailed the guy called John Dickinson to review my exclusion decision. Waiting for his reply. Do you mind sharing what your outcome was?
Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
7.01%
They might tell the bully (32)
9.76%
I don't think they'd understand (48)
14.63%
It might lead to more bullying (124)
37.8%
There's nothing they could do (101)
30.79%

Watched Threads