The Student Room Group

Why do people generally hate Maths?

Why do people in the western countries generally hate Maths? I only know a minority of people who really like maths and find it interesting. But why is there such a dislike about maths in our society? Is it because people have poor numeracy skills resulting in them finding it difficult and boring?? Or is it because of people's lack of determination to practice and do well in Maths? So they give up easily. Why is it genuinely more acceptable to be bad at maths but not in some other subjects like English? And if you are good at or like maths, you are considered as a geek of some sort?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've taken it for A-Level but i still dislike it. I just find it rather dull and boring personally. A pretty childish and basic reason to dislike it I think haha
Reply 2
lack of understanding, its probably the same in other countries as well not just here
It's mainly because I don't get it.
Difficulty.
i love it... but only the stuff i understand.

the reason i like it is because it lets me understand lots of other things and i use it regularly. people that are rubbish at maths probably don't ever use it once they leave school, so see it as pointless
Reply 6
I just don't understand most of it.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my SK17i
Reply 7
Most people find it hard to grasp the concepts
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Airess3
Why do people in the western countries generally hate Maths? I only know a minority of people who really like maths and find it interesting. But why is there such a dislike about maths in our society? Is it because people have poor numeracy skills resulting in them finding it difficult and boring?? Why is it genuinely more acceptable to be bad at maths but not in some other subjects like English? And if you are good at or like maths, you are considered as a geek of some sort?

Lack of understanding, as someone else said. We don't teach the ideas and concepts behind maths in the UK - we just teach how to answer the questions (unless you have a good teacher) and so it can get very boring very quickly. Those who have the blessing of an interesting teacher will love the subject as they appreciate how logical and analytical it is.
It's hard and doesn't interest me at all. I do however respect people who are really good at it :smile:
It's not directly applicable to the real world really (in terms of advanced stuff), it's very satisfying when you get something right but it's frustrating and it's 100% practical with only minor theory - the opposite of psychology really. People like learning about things they can see like in Biology and Geography, and in relatable achievements shown in History and other humanities. I have nothing against Maths - I'm taking it at A Level - but I think other subjects are easier to be passionate about.
I think it's because students just don't find it useful in everyday life, when in your daily life do you use Cosec, Sec, tan, sin function? None, so it's a good excuse for those people taking maths to chat and catch up with friends in lesson. When I was in high school maths lesson was usually when the guys and girls start messing around alot more than any other subjects. :hmmm:
I was taught to hate maths by a primary school teacher I had during my first few years who openly hated maths and would make comments like, "Once we get the maths out of the wau we can do something good."

I spent years hating maths before I had one teacher who did something different, and I started to like it then. Ended up with nearly doing a maths degree.
Reply 13
Because maths sucks and anyone who takes an A-level in it is stupid!!
It's harder to teach well maybe? And if you don't get something it's much harder to catch up compared to most subjects.
(I personally didn't really like maths until A Level)
i think it's not getting it, i actually like maths but i've realised that whenever i don't understand a new topic i complain and say i hate maths which isn't really true but when i take the time to go through it and understand it i say i love it again ahaha but generally i do like maths, that might just be because i get it though...
I took it for A-level and actually enjoyed it. However, as soon as it became a bit tricky, I would start to dislike it :redface:

Original post by Zhy

Original post by Zhy

Exactly! Maths is an A level for stupid people! It's so pointless and useless! :no:

Really I think it's because if you stop understanding early on and you then don't catch up near the beginning of maths you aren't going to understand when you go any further and it all becomes pointless.

People enjoy negging this post :biggrin: I'm actually doing a maths degree :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
I just find it takes up so much more of my time than my other subjects (chem+bio), as the only way to get really good at it is to practice over and over again.

It's harder than subjects where you just have to memorise stuff -in maths just because you know the formula for dy/dx, doesn't mean you understand how to use it! :tongue:
Reply 19
Difficulty, for the most part, I think. People also fail to see any practical use for it, and A Level Maths isn't real maths. You just learn stuff off without having any knowledge on how/why things are the way they are; and this comes from someone who LOVES maths :wink:

Latest