pCO2 in blood and alveoli question Watch

Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Complete the sentence

Arteriole blood PCO2 would be the same as alveolar PCO2 if the arterial blood and the alveolar air... (2 marks)

Any ideas???
j00ni
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They would be the same if gas exchange was allowed to equilibriate, i.e. if the person's circulatory and respiratory system's shut down, preventing the constant concentration gradient that is usually maintained by ventilation and perfusion of the lungs

/edit: of course that would probably not be entirely true due to the binding capacity of haemoglobin - but i am not entirely certain
Revenged
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
They would be the same if gas exchange was allowed to equilibriate, i.e. if the person's circulatory and respiratory system's shut down, preventing the constant concentration gradient that is usually maintained by ventilation and perfusion of the lungs

/edit: of course that would probably not be entirely true due to the binding capacity of haemoglobin - but i am not entirely certain
Cheers - that makes sense!
nikk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by j00ni)
If I remember correctly, haemoglobin is 98% saturated at a PO2 of 100mmHg. Since this is less than the PO2 at sea level, I should think it would be able to equilibriate - providing that there is sufficient haemoglobin present.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (204)
27.57%
No (536)
72.43%

Watched Threads